Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tooth fairy

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 14:38

DGS unexpectedly lost his first tooth at lunch at school. After lunch, the kindergarten class talked about losing baby teeth and the tooth fairy.

Then the few kids who had already lost their first tooth chimed up and explained that the tooth fairy brings $5!!!

When my daughter came to pick him up, DGSs friend explained to her that the tooth fairy brings $5, so she and DSIL gulped and put out $5 for him. She had thought of a little toy from the Dollar Store, but she did not have any in the house. This tooth had not been loose before being pulled out by the apple.

So they are visiting us today, and right now he is out with his mother at our Dollar Store spending his tooth fairy money.

Inflation has caught up with all of us. I was thinking a quarter myself. She says she certainly wasn't thinking of $5 either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tooth fairy

Back during the summer, GD and daughter had spent the night when GD lost a tooth, daughter got up the next morning and went to work forgetting all about the tooth fairy. Since I was keeping GD during the summer it was left up to me to fill in for the tooth fairy. Daughter remembered the tooth fairy after she got to work and asked me to slip her something under her pillow, I happily agreed and asked how much, when she said 5.00 I thought dang.... My kids got a few bucks but now it's up to 5.00?? I took a gulp and did as I was asked. Yes, sad to say inflation has hit even the tooth fairy.

o

The sweetest handled that and since it was a good many years ago I would imagine that $5 wasn't in our fairy's purse. What I do remember is our tooth fairy required the tooth to be in a freezer bag. lol Not for sanitary purposes, so the tooth could be retrieved easily without waking our child. :)

o

I think I got a dollar, but what I do remember for sure is how much fun it was for me to find it and decide what to buy. I don't think $5 is unreasonable considering I spend that on a latte, and it's hard to get anything that isn't cheap junk for a buck these days. Teaching kids to save money is good and all but sometimes it's fun to just celebrate the occasion with a treat.

The first tooth is a big deal! I think I lost mine at a Wienerschnitzel restaurant, lol.

o

Our tooth fairy is cheap. My kids only get $1.

o

My DGC and their parents as well as friends, give $5 for the first tooth and then $1 thereafter.

o

I meant, of course, the parents and their friends gave, etc.........to my DGC(children)

I need to proofread better, lol!

o

I'm 33, and my first tooth got me 10 cents! I think I remember it may have moved up to a quarter at some point.

o

I'm 33, and my first tooth got me 10 cents! I think I remember it may have moved up to a quarter at some point.

o

o

Eating at Dairy Queen, my GS's tooth came out. We placed it on a napkin to save for the tooth fairy.

We got up to put our trash away, left the napkin with the tooth in it on the table and the cleanup people took the napkin and threw it away.

We looked and looked in the nearest trash and of course never found it.

Had to leave a note on his pillow for the tooth fairy that he lost his tooth and couldn't find it.

o

I'm 56 and the tooth fairy always left us a quarter.
Now at our house the tooth fairy leaves a dollar.

o

62 here--first tooth got you a quarter, the following ones were a dime, back in my day.

I'm not sure, but I think DD got maybe a dollar sometimes, maybe a book or small toy others.

Now I have one friend--her kids are grown now... In her house the tooth fairy put a $100 bill under the pillow. Yes, you read that correctly, I didn't slip and add too many 0's either. BUT in the morning Mom took the money to put it away for the kids, and the next time they lost a tooth? They got the same $100 bill! I can never decide if she was extravagant or cheap!

o

lol..that wouldn't fly with my dgkids! they'd probably keep that $100, lol...

o

God bless you jenmonkey, at 33 cents a post you're over a buck now!!! **Squeeze**
I'm chipping in!

o

God bless you jenmonkey, at 33 cents a post you're over a buck now!!! **Squeeze**
I'm chipping in!!

o

I'm chipping in!!

Okay, how much are we up to? *wink*

o

I'm 38 and I think I got quarters for my teeth?

$5 dollars a tooth?? WOW! That's a little pricey IMO. My kids are 4 & 7, and get "golden dollars" from the tooth fairy. My DH was really smart when oldest was close to losing her first tooth. He went to the bank and got about $30 worth of new golden dollar coins. I figure it's something special or hopefully even magical, that you don't see too often.

o

It is special and magical. The tooth fairy gave the coins, right? And they are golden too! Not any regular kid gets golden dollars. :)

o

We were poor. I got a dime.

o

Poor makes a dime a dollar mari c.

o

Here we've had "golden" dollar coins for over 20 years. When DD was small the tooth fairy brought a shiny $1. Once when we were away on vacation she lost a tooth but none of the local stores had any shiny $1 coins so I had to polish one up with Coca Cola :-)
When I was younger I was nanny for three small children. It turned out their family tradition was to put teeth in a glass of water on the bedroom mantel for the Tooth Fairy to collect. The first time it was a major pain trying to fish the tooth out of the glass in the dark quietly so after that I made sure they used a glass that had a matching one and switched the tooth glass with one containing the money :-)
Then there was the time I came home to find one child hysterical as a newly-lost tooth had gone down the bathroom sink. So we wrote a nice letter to the Tooth Fairy, telling her where the tooth was so she could use her magical powers to get it out. It worked ;-)

o

Grandma, aka the Tooth Fairy, gave me a Mercury Head silver dime for every lost tooth. Even the one the dentist had to pull!

I also got one of them for every "A" on my report cards. Anything below an A wasn't worth rewarding!

I had a special sugar bowl in the china cabinet to keep my silver dimes in.

o

"Then there was the time I came home to find one child hysterical as a newly-lost tooth had gone down the bathroom sink. So we wrote a nice letter to the Tooth Fairy, telling her where the tooth was so she could use her magical powers to get it out. It worked ;-)"

!!That is hilarious!!

o

I used to get a quarter.

o

$5 is too much.

Kids need to learn how to want for things - indulging our children does them no service. I don't care what the circumstances are, $5 is too much.

o

Okay sometimes the tooth fairy got "frightened" at our house by the dog or the kid rolling over or the room was too dirty or something and it wouldn't be until the next day that she'd come back. They got a quarter, when she finally got brave enough (read Mom or dad remembered) to go back into their room.

o

With my own kids, too often I have bolted out of the bed at 3am or 4am to do the almost forgotten tooth fairy visit! Ugh! I was always afraid that I would wake them up fishing for the tooth under their pillow, but it never happened.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here