SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minnie_tx

NEW! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest!

minnie_tx
11 years ago

NEW! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest! see above notice

what does that mean ? Does it mean that the exclusivity we have here is now on those sites? Not on Facebook

Comments (37)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Oh, no, does this mean any pictures we post can end up on FB or Pinterest? If so, I cannot post any more pictures. I absolutely do not understand why everyone has to jump on the FB/Pinterest bandwagon. This was my last little semi-private place to share with others semi-anonymously.

• iowagirl2006
    11 years ago

Yep - the pictures they have on Pinterest are from threads here on the Gardenweb.

Don't think for a minute that your pictures are even semi-private here. In addition the regular members here GardenWeb is viewed world wide by countless people. They can do whatever they want with your pics (right or wrong - they can) - just right click and save - and they have it.

• Related Discussions

facebook/pinterest question

Q

Comments (2)
    Posts, photos, recipes, etc. They are already there. People are complaining that recipes and photos they've posted here are showing up on Pinterest, with links back to their posts. No notice to the original poster. Doesn't seem right.
    ...See More

GardenWeb on Facebook and Pinterest???

Q

Comments (23)
    It doesn't look like the FB page is very active. The FB Page was made October 11, 2011; there is one post on Oct 1st of this year. You can bet that the way they'll work it is that they will start taking posts from the various boards & link them on the page. I hope they will not share any posts from any of the conversations forums. Unfortunately; they do not have to ask permission because we gave the right up when we agreed to their terms of service when we joined. Does anyone want to contact the admin to see if conversation posts will be shared there? IMO; it needs to be known for all of our sakes. I don't come here much for the last few months anyway; I really have nothing to hide; but I'd rather not have anything I post to shared on the FB page. IT feels like a violation of privacy. One good thing is the amount of posts lost on this side to forum screw ups. I used to post on rose conversations; there are posts still from 2006!
    ...See More

NEW! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest!

Q

Comments (40)
    It's not that I ever say/write something on GW I regret sharing here...it's that I have a relative out there somewhere that I don't want to EVER contact me again. Some of you understand why. I know they participate on Facebook & I stay away from Facebook to avoid any potential contact. I consider them dangerous to my safety & they have physically harmed me in the past. Now sure, I could hide from the Internet entirely. But, I don't figure they would ever have an interest that would draw them to GW. I don't know how Facebook works since I don't participate. I don't want to go to bed every night worrying that tomorrow might bring that person back into my life. It's the not knowing part I don't think I can live with & still feel safe. /tricia
    ...See More

Someone new (to me) to follow on Pinterest!

Q

Comments (14)
    Begonia, LOL! I agree . . .and that is not a possibility for my style, though I still make attempts to copy it without the actual money being involved! Mitch, I am confused. You mean you found that pin on HIS page? I can't imagine! He does not seem like a DIY-er at all (or one who would encourage such things, haha!) Ratherbe, I didn't either . . . Technicolor, I usually only pin my own findings (I put together mood boards for the most part) on external sites because so many pins are same old, same old, so I don't browse too much. I also go directly to the pages of people I really like. I could spend all my time on just his and Lindajane's!
    ...See More
  • minnie_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish Spike was back you could talk to him

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I thought if you had your photo sharing site preference set to "no right click", posted photos could not be saved to someone else's file. Now about the new instant photo upload on GW forums, not sure about that.

• cynic
    11 years ago

I thought if you had your photo sharing site preference set to "no right click", posted photos could not be saved to someone else's file.

Wrong. The old saying about don't assume applies. If you can see it you can save it. I've saved photos, threads and more on/from GW since I first started here over a decade ago.

Maybe on the photo sharing site it disabled right click, but no right click doesn't stop saving something. It just makes you have to do a couple other clicks to accomplish it.

• cynic
    11 years ago

Actually you don't necessarily have to be able to see it to save it either!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

If you don't want the entire world to see your photos - DO NOT POST THEM ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.

I'm astonished that anyone thinks that the Gardenweb forums are in some way private. For every person posting, you can count on hundreds or more who just read.

There never was any "exclusivity" here - even when Spike was running it. Heck, he WANTED people to look, read, and maybe participate! The more, the better, because that's how he made his living.

Anyone and everyone can find and read Gardenweb forums, and always have been able to. How else do you think new members found it and joined?

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

YIKES! I do not worry about pics I do not know how to post them and now will not bother to learn! Worry more about making sure I do not vent anything about someone that I know may see it at those sites;( POOHIE!

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Who would be in charge of posting our photos from here to Facebook???

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I know GW isn't private at all, but most people I know don't visit here like they do FB and Pinterest so I felt a bit of personal anonymity.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Oh great. I wish I could take back some phtos and comments I have posted.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

The problem arises when people post pictures with out asking permission of the individuals in the pictures.
    I would prefer to never have anything pertaining to me anywhere on Facebook, but I can't control what others do.
    At the very least if one is posting pictures of other people don't have any names of any kind associated with them at least that keeps them some what more private and not as easily tracked.
    But in today's world every one has a camera in their possession in their phone and you don't even know they are taking your pictures.
    I personally would never post pictures of anyone with out explicit permission. It is what it is...

• Tally
    11 years ago

Who would be in charge of posting our photos from here to Facebook???

Minnie, anyone can right click on any photo posted on this board, save it somewhere, and then upload it to a Facebook page or onto Pinterest, or anywhere else for that matter. That's why copyright protection has become such an issue.

And Google images will pull images with keywords from any open source on the internet. I found pictures of my Fitz & Floyd pieces on Google, not that I mind because I'm happy to share them. But I never post anything personal that I wouldn't want someone to see.

There is no privacy on an open Internet Forum. That's because it's open.

• Tally
    11 years ago

BTW, when we all joined we agreed to Garden Web's Terms of Service, which state:

"By submitting content, which shall include your member name, to any "public area" of the GardenWeb Network, including, but not limited to, the forums and your personal website, exchange page and journal, you grant iVillage a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right (including any moral rights) and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, sublicense, assign, derive revenue or other remuneration from, communicate to the public, perform and display the content (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form."

Here is a link that might be useful: TOS Item 7

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just sent this message to GW uing the contact area at the botto of the page

Many of us on KT do not have facebook nor desire to be part of it can you explain how control of photos will be who will post them? will they automatically all be posted etc? This was quite a shock when we saw this posted on top of the forum
    Thank you

• ntt_hou
    11 years ago

To echo some of the posts already explained in details... If you are here, so can others.

Btw, do you have a "prt sc" button on your keyboard? It stands for Print Screen. Yep, you can take a snapshot of what is currently appearing on your screen and save it. No need to right click.

• matti5
    11 years ago

I often wonder how many people ask permission before posting photos. I have only had a handful ask me and I always say "no". Sadly it's become so common place that no one thinks twice about it.

• drewsmaga
    11 years ago

I tried finding the FB page. Fail! What is the FB page?

• sephia
    11 years ago

Minnie - it works like this.

You post a picture here on Garden Web, or write something. I see the picture and am able to copy it, and post it to my Facebook page. In a perfect world people ask permission to use other's picture(s), but this isn't a perfect world. It's the way of the world-wide web.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

IF you happen to have that area up at the top of the pages collapsed you will NOT see this new post by GW if you expand that area where they have their new things on GW posts you will then be able to see their post about this.

I think that may be why so many are not aware of the new feature they have that notifications area collapsed so they are not seeing it. Once you see it you will see that pinterest is a link as is facebook if you just click on that pinterest link there you are brought to pinterest and will see the pictures that have been posted on various GW forums since this implementation. Same for those with facebook if you like GW and have a face book account.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

It is a new feature that automatically links all pictures posted on GW to Facebook and pinterest.
    Hmmm...I'm only seeing one pic at the GW Facebook page, and though there are several pics at Pinterest, it certainly isn't all GW pics, but just a few 'chosen' ones.

But from apparently now on anything posted on the GW servers with be linked to facebook and pinterest.
    Why would you think that? Might you mean that anything could be linked to or posted on those sites?

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I am on the web. With both my married name, and my single name.

Anything I post here now, will be on the web too.

No problem with me.

I just don't do facebook, but realize, my picture can show up there. Since it is already on the web, so be it.

Moni

• iowagirl2006
    11 years ago

RC - I don't think EVERY picture is automatically put on Pinterest or Facebook. I think someone at GardenWeb/iVillage pins it to Pinterest if they want to.

Just like I can pin any picture from here to Pinterest - I have the "Pin It" feature installed on my toolbar. I find something I want to pin - I just hit that and it brings up the choices of pictures and I select the one I want and pin it to my Pinterest boards.

The "automatic upload feature" does not necessarily mean your picture has been uploaded to FB/Pinterest...although it could be if they chose it to be.

You can go to the gallery and find the HTML code for that picture if you want to put it on your blog, etc... just like you could if you hosted that picture at Photobucket, etc.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Here's why I am not going to Like the GW FB page. I post stuff here that I may not want to share with people I know who are not part of GW. I like keeping my two internet worlds separate. A lot of my FB friends are also GW friends, but that's okay.

If I Like GW, then my neighbors, former neighbors and old school friends may Like it too, then follow it here and read stuff I post that is not meant for them.

I realize of course that my neighbors could randomly find this place, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

And, I realize that GW is wide open to anyone on the internet, there is nothing private about it. I am amazed at the personal info people post here, such as their age and where they were born. Scammers and internet thieves can use that sort of info and I'm sure they thank you for posting it to make their work easier.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

I wish Spike was back too. I'm curious if conversation posts will be shared there

• sephia
    11 years ago

RC - I can use a snip-it type of tool and make a copy of any picture, text, etc., and then save it as a jpg., png., etc., and then upload it to FB. I can do that on any site on the web, not just GW. Has nothing to do with any server a web page is on.

• Sue_va
    11 years ago

What bothers me about all this is that it seems like Facebook is soon going to control the world, not just the Web Wide World.

Just a small sample, but
    for instance, our local newspaper asks readers to share comments on the news stories. But now, you can only post a comment IF you are on Facebook.

It is not the privacy thing that concerns me, it is just that having to join FB in order to be a part of something else. That is what I dislike.

And about Spike, I would love to know what he is doing these days, and wonder what he thinks about these forums he was so proud of, and what it is today,

Sue

• alisande
    11 years ago

I hope everyone realizes that GW posts (including KT posts) show up routinely in Google search results--the most public place I can think of.

At least with a FB account you can set your own privacy preferences. There's nothing private about GW.

• Tally
    11 years ago

I can't understand what all the drama is about.

Nothing here has changed - anyone could always post a photo anywhere from here. And anyone could always search Google for post content. The only difference now is that you know of at least 2 specific sites where your photos might be copied. Nothing more has changed.

As it has been said time and time again. If you don't want something on the internet, don't put it there.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Tempest in a teeny-tiny teapot!

Nothing has changed except GW now has a Pintrest page and a Facebook page. Big deal. Nothing you ever wrote here was private. Never was, still isn't, and never will be.

GW isn't posting your stuff on either site - other people do.

My quilt photos (especially my Quilts of Valor) have shown up on numerous sites. If I cared, I wouldn't have posted them on the internet in the first place!

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I realize that you can copy photos etc and I've done it for years when I want someone to see some photo I've posted I greewith what Sue-va and dedtired were saying and I object to having to join Facebook if I want to look at it. I think the ladies who are sharing their photos by email re very smart.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Sorry Minnie_tx, but you have never known in the past if someone snagged one of your posts.

How does knowing someone might snag something and post it to FB or Pintrest make GW suddenly different? Maybe people have been snagging and posting your GW stuff to other places? But mostly, none of our individual posts are that interesting!

Some of my quilt photos have ended up on individual blogs - I knew the risk when I posted them.

Nothing has changed vis-a-vis your so-called privacy. You never had any.

• Tally
    11 years ago

Why on earth would you have to join Facebook to look at it, if you posted it to begin with?

If you didn't, then you want to look at someone else's photos and that's just being nosey. Join Facebook or get over it. I'm not sure what this hissy fit is about - your photos being uploaded to Pinterest and Facebook, or someone else's that you want to see and can't because you aren't a member of either?

What exactly is your issue with this?

This is a whole lot of of much ado about nothing.

• iowagirl2006
    11 years ago

If you really want to keep a picture "your own" - watermark it!

At least when it is posted elsewhere, someone else can't take credit for it!!!

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not going to argue with any of you. I'm entitled to my likes and dislikes sorry

• ruthieg__tx
    11 years ago

all of this on garden web goes to google as well.....

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Maybe you should consider doing what I do where ever I sign up including Facebook. I use a fake name and birth date and the state where I live so that no one but my real friends and family know who I am. I don't post pictures of people, just places. The funny part of that is I put April 1st as my bday (sort of a sick bow to the fact that I'm fooling people, April Fools lol) and, to this day, my friends keep sending me birthday cards on that date. lol

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!