Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Campaign to Eliminate "Well..."

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 14:07

Must every TV reporter on every story start with, "Well..." before getting to the point?

My DH's third grade teacher taught her students to stop this habit. Any child who stood to recite and began with, "Well..." was shouted down by the class.

Must every reporter also say a "Thank you" to the anchor person before starting a report, and BE thanked by the anchor at the end of his report: "Thank you *for that*." (No thanks required, and what *else* does the viewer imagine he's done for the anchor?) Enough already!

While I'm complaining, let me wish for an end to the false conviviality between the news/weather/sports anchors. You can be pleasant and 'on the team' without this forced affection. It's as appealing as "Have a nice day."

Picky Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Campaign to Eliminate "Well..."

Conviviality? Man, I love looking up new words!! Thanks.

Sorry Sue, I know I didn't add much to your thoughts...

o

Well, um, basically, it is, like, annoying ... you know?

Anyway, no problem. Have a good one!

o

"Any-who" drives me crazy

o

I use "Well" alot when writing emails, so I must use it in everyday conversation too. (I almost wrote "as well" instead of "too"). lol

o

Worse than using "Well..." is being taught to shout down your classmate!

Well, that and "So...". :)

o

'Or whatever' at the end of a sentence gets to me so annoying!

'Like you know' drives me to the end of my chain, too!

o

Petaloid!!! SCREAM! lol You busted me out laughing! Very good!!!

o

I'm with you on the "well" and "thank you", chisue. And another thing anchors say that makes my eyes roll up into the back of my head (Diane Sawyer!) is "We'll see you tomorrow." or something like that. THEY CAN'T SEE ME!

o

So many guests/interviewees on TV shows, particularly news shows, start sentences with "I mean....." Drives me nuts.

o

I thought that getting the kids in on this and making it a game was a great idea. They would all get caught out a few times before the habit was broken. They were learning not to beg for a listener's attention. They learned to be alert and organized, to speak plainly, with authority -- and without larding a report with fillers like "you know".

I will sometimes use "Well.." to soften a differing point I want to make in a discussion, but it has no place in a news report.

o

I don't mind well nearly as much as "like".

o

"Well", "You know", You know what I'm saying" and "whatever", are just a few of the "sayings" that drive me crazy....And I know I'm not that good when it comes to correct English but I try....It really irks me, when someone is interviewing, what is supposed to be a college grad. and they keep saying, you know.....Most of the time, it's a football player....(Don't get me wrong, I love football)......

o

Well....well, it doesn't bother me very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here