Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jiffy Cornbread/Yellow Cake recipe?

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 13:50

I finally found the Jiffy Yellow Cake, and I want to make Jiffy Cornbread with it tomorrow for my grandson's 3rd birthday dinner here. I see all sorts of versions, some of which add more oil or melted butter, some pans are 9x9 while others use 9x13, and baking time is vague.

What is the best version????

We are having ribs, cornbread, green beans almondine, a salad or maybe Glenda's frozen Blueberry salad (if I don't need the pan for the cornbread), and potatoes of some kind or maybe corn on the cob. DD is bringing a Mickey Mouse birthday cake from Ralphs and we will down it with champagne.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jiffy Cornbread/Yellow Cake recipe?

I'm confused - Jiffy Cornbread mix and Jiffy Yellow cake mix are two entirely different things.

If you want to make cornbread, you would need the cornbread mix.

Maybe I am way out of the loop here though.

o

There is a recipe for cornbread that combines the two mixes that I am looking for.

o

Ah - I see! I was confused and figured I was missing something!

I use Jiffy Cornbread mix all the time for Cornbread Casserole...mmmm... I think I have seen it discussed here too, but it is the cornbread mix, butter, cream corn, sweet corn, and sour cream, and an egg. Mix it together and bake it. Almost a pudding/souffle like dish. Yum!

o

Yes, I want to save that for Thanksgiving dinner and just do the cornbread now.

o

Sheila, just make EACH box according to the directions on EACH box, then combine the two in a big bowl. Bake as recommended on the box with the LOWEST temperature, then check it every 5 min. after that, if it doesn't test done with a toothpick. This is the recipe I make all the time - got the 'recipe' from Tippins restaurant MANY years ago.

o

What size pan????

o

8x8" if you want thick, a 10x10" if you like it thinner.

o

Since Jiffy cornbread is already so sweet and cake -like in texture, it will really be like a sweet cake when mixed with a regular cake mix. Won't it? Are you going to frost it, and if so, with what? I'm curious.

o

Here it is, I had it saved at the KTGP

Posted by kayjones (My Page) on Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 16:54

The one I am most complimented and know for is SO simple:
Jo's (Tippins Restaurant) Cornbread

One box of JIFFY cornbread mix
One box of JIFFY yellow cake mix (it's a 1 layer mix)
1 teaspoon good vanilla

Mix both boxes according to package directions, add the vanilla and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees - do a toothpick test at 45 minutes - it might not take a full hour in your oven.

This cornbread is smooth and sweet - good with ham and beans, soup, salad - it can be frosted with icing for a not-so-sweet cake!!! I love it with honey butter and just honey, or a good jam - it's really comfort food.

I have made this for all potluck occasions, visits to shut-ins and for my family - I always am requested to bring it or provide the 'recipe'.

Posted by kayjones July 31, 2010

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Not my recipe, but there are a few just like this when I did a search:

1 box Jiffy cornbread
1 box Jiffy yellow cake mix
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1/4 c. oil

Instructions
1.Bake in greased 8 x 8 inch pan.
2.Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Check for doughiness and use a toothpick in the middle to make sure it comes out clean.

o
RE: Jiffy Cornbmmmread/Yellow Cake recipe?

patti43 said she froze the blueberry salad in cupcake liners in muffin tins, and removed the liners when serving.

o

Tee Hee, Joann - could you correct my grammar on that recipe, please?

I am most complimented and know for (should read 'known for')

o

Yep, I plan to serve it with honey butter as well as plain butter. Thank you for the details, Kay. I shall make an effort to keep up with the Joneses and serve your delicious cornbread, hoping I get raves too. I appreciate your details.

o

Post back and let us know if they liked that type cornbread. I'm a savory cornbread person myself, I like the Mexican style. That just seems terribly sweet to me but to each his own.

o

I believe Glenda's recipe is the one I use. It is a very good cornbread... I get lots of compliments. Slightly sweet, but not too much so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here