Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrimp Recipes

Posted by sandiefl (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 13:27

I have some salad shrimp left over and need a good shrimp recipe.I can't refreeze it and would like to use it tonight.I usually make Shrimp Salad,but have no celery and don't want to go out again today.Have to pick up a lot of things in our yard before the winds from Sandy get here.We did this last time and got no wind,so am having to convince DH that it could be different this time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrimp Recipes

Have you got the fixins for shrimp gravy and grits? Or a crunchy green salad with grilled shrimp on top? Or an easy alfredo sauce over noodles? Or shrimp scampi over rice? How about shrimp burgers?

o

Shrimp Scampi

Put 1/2 stick of butter in a bowl and melt it.
Sprinkle in garlic and salt to taste.
Add parsley flakes to taste (if desired).
Place shrimp in melted butter.
Heat in microwave until hot.

Almost as good as Red Lobster.

o

I've made this and my son and I both really enjoyed.
patti43 has prepared this as well.

Red Lobster's Shrimp Quiche Recipe

Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:
1 pre baked 9" pie crust
4 ounces pettite Alskan shrimp -- cooked, peeled,
and deveined***I used larger shrimp that I had cooked and frozen, and cut them in half for this recipe. Plus I didn't put them in the bottom of the pan, but I mixed everything together and poured onto the pie crust.
2/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese
2 eggs -- beaten
1 cup light sour cream
1 tablespoon finely-chopped green onions or chives
Salt -- to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste

Cooking Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Evenly spread shrimp on the bottom of the pie crust.
Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Beat together eggs, sour cream, green onions, salt and pepper.
Slowly pour the mixture into the pie crust.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings

o
RE: Shrimvvvvp Recipes

sandi, I make a shrimp poboy without the celery cause DS just picks it out. This is close to the one I make.
And I always lightly toast the bun that's been lightly buttered on the insides.

Texas Shrimp Po' Boy

1 six inch piece of french bread
6 medium to large boiled shrimp, cold
1 tablespoon Miracle Whip or mayo
1 teaspoon horseradish
shredded lettuce
thin sliced tomato
thin sliced red onion or shallot ***I prefer scallions

I like to mix the shrimp with the mayo, horseradish and scallions

Combine Miracle Whip or mayo with horseradish. Spread on both sides of bread. Then fill with remaining ingredients. Put lettuce on the bottom, then tomato, onion and shrimp last. Squirt a little lemon juice or Tabasco sauce over shrimp if desired

o

or you could saute them like scampi and then make an Alfredo sauce and server it all over pasta.

o

I like small shrimp in shrimp cole slaw. Shred cabbage, chop green or purple onion, a little shredded carrot for color.

Dress with mayo thinned with Italian dressing. Add some garlic powder, onion powder and white pepper, if you have it.

o

Thess all sound so good.I ended up making the Alfredo sauce. I still have some shrimp left, would sure like the recipe for the shrimp burger.Sounds good.Sounds like I need to get to the market and buy some more shrimp. :-) Thank you for the reciped.

o

I 'll give you my recipe for the shrimp burgers tomorrow.

o

Sandie, I'm too late for tonight's dinner, but if you don't have Georgysmom's recipe for Shrimp Ditalini Salad, trust me, it's just to die for! I'd be happy to send the recipe--or maybe it's on the KT site that Joann FL started.

We're in Ocala and have had some mess-the-hair-up winds already. Luckily it's late in the season, so it shouldn't be too bad--if it even gets here.

o

Back in the early 80's I was living in Corpus Christi,Tx and for about a year I worked as a deck hand on a long ranging shrimp boat that would go out for about 6 to 8 weeks per trip.

There were only 5 ppl on board, the Captain & 4 deck hands so in addition to working the shrimp nets, we all had to take turns at all the work on board from driving the boat, to cleaning the decks and doing day to day maintenance and we all took turns as galley cook. To his credit, our captain could hold his own as a gourmet chef, but some of the deckhands were intellectually challenged to make PB&J sandwiches and tomato soup, but there was one thing we all did...with upwords of 35 to 40 tons of shrimp in the hold, we all took turns at trying to figure out a new way to fix shrimp...LOL

One morning one of the guys took about 2lbs of small shrimp, peeled it,then smashed it flat and broke it up and tossed that into the scrambled eggs. Now that in itself was good, but if you want to really make it good, roll that up in a large flour tortilla with a mess of hot picante sauce..that is great...

o

OK, Sandie....here's the incredible shrimp burger! This is close to the recipe I have, only mine is directly from the cooks at the Shrimp Shack on St. Helena Island (just outside of Beaufort). So yummy! My recipe leaves out the lemon zest (but that seems like it might be a good addition) and calls for a dash of Old Bay Seasoning. regular bread crumbs instead of the corn bread, but I dust mine with corn meal before frying.

The Shrimp Shack is right across the road from the docks of a small shrimp fleet! I used to stop off there on my way home to Harbor Island and see what the boats brought in. They always haul in a bunch of other fish in the nets, too, besides all of that fresh shrimp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here!

o

Oh I love shrimp burgers and crab burgers! In the small town I am from in deep South Louisiana there was this little old fashioned drive up cafe, you go to the window give your order and they make it all fresh for you, not fast food but awesome fresh made food. And they made the best shrimp and crab burgers, I would love to have one more but it closed down not long after I graduated high school.

I had found some frozen shrimp burger patties at the Albertsons grocery store in Plano, Texas when we lived there that were quite decent for a frozen product.
If I remember correctly the company that made them was in Louisiana. I will have to try to find those somewhere. I would keep some in my freezer all the time.

I am going to try that recipe it sounds great.

o

I make a cold shrimp pasta salad all the time using olive oil and lemon juice for a dressing. If I have feta cheese I add it, cucumbers, bell pepper, radish, onion - whatever salad veggies I have on hand. If I don't have tomato or cherry tomatoes I cut up some strawberries.

Anne

o

I had Applebee's new Southwest Shrimp Fettuccini dish last night. It was very good! There were black beans and corn in it, not sure what else, but it was good! If you are good at figuring out a recipe, go to their web site and see if the menu tells most of the ingredients.

o

patti, i would love to have the shrimp ditalini salad recipe. i didn't see it on the kt gathering place. thanks, so much!!

o

Lindalou, happy to share Georgysmom's recipe. We just love it. I think it's be good with chicken, instead of the shrimp, too. Or without any meat just as a pasta salad. I tell you, this stuff is addicting! I used dried dill, but use fresh parsley if at all possible. Hope you enjoy it, too!

Ditalini Shrimp Salad (Georgysmom)

1 c. uncooked pasta (ditalini or tiny shells)
9 oz. cooked shrimp, cut in bite-sized pieces
3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 green onions, finely diced
1/2 tsp. fresh dill, finely chopped (I like a little more)
1 Tbsp. parsley, roughly chopped (I like a little more)
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1 c. mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs

Place eggs in a small pot, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat for 15 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water. Immediately remove egg shells and set aside. Meanwhile, cook pasta in lightly salted water until al dente (about 8 minutes). Drain, rinse and set aside.

Combine mayo and lemon juice. Mix pasta, celery, dill, parsley, celery, shrimp and mayo. Slice eggs. Gently add most of the eggs to mixture, saving a few slices for garnish. Chill several hours.

o

I've been following this thread for two days and now I want a shrimp, spinach and swiss cheese omelette!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here