Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement Car Keys

Posted by petra (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 13:22

Hubby misplaced his keyring and though we've turned everything upside down, it seems to have disappeared into thin air. He finally went to the car dealer to order a replacement, $250 for one key!! They explained it's because the key has to be laser-cut and the chip has to be programmed, blah, blah, blah. They also said they are the only ones authorized to make the replacement. A key from an unauthorized shop could damage the electrical system and void the car warranty. $250 for one key, I think that is beyond outrageous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement Car Keys

Yep, it's been that way for quite a few years now. Crazy too!

o

Chrysler quoted me $237 for a key that won't work the doors anymore. No thanks-I switched keys with DH who doesn't usually drive the minivan. Even for half the price I don't think I would do it. Its going to be really aggravating if that key ring turns up after you get a new key!

o

The local hardware store here cuts these keys. And I am sure that the lie about "A key from an unauthorized shop could damage the electrical system and void the car warranty." Yeah, they also say that you probably void the warranty by sneezing too hard --- I think it's BS.

o

Like Sushipup said, Ace Hardeware will cut you a new key - I just had one made for my Ford Ranger. It won't have the remote capabilities, but it will work the doors and ignition.

o

Also, it pays to shop around. A few yeas ago, when we needed a remote/key for a Taurus, one Ford dealer told us it would be $180 dollars, but another Ford dealer did it for $85.

o

Yep, I thought all of the above, but on the other hand, I would not put it past auto manufacturers to do something like that. I did call the 2 other dealers which are closest to us, and the cheapest was $230. But that's almost a 2 hour roundtrip, so not worth it to save $20.

o

sushipup and kayjones - my vehicle has an actual chip in the key - not on the fob, or on the plastic part around the key. Without that chip specifically coded to my car in the ignition, my car will not move. I might be able to start the car, but it will not "go", so getting an ace hardware key doesn't work for every vehicle.

o

Check real locksmiths in your area. Some states have laws that require the car companies to provide the codes to registered locksmiths.

o

Yep - those computerized keys have cost a small fortune for some years now.

And yes, a key without the chip will not work!

o

There's a locksmith near me who charges $85. I have paid $250 to a dealer so I'm not surprised. By the way, when I bought my car, the salesperson told me I had to have oil changes done by them only. If I have an oilchange franchise or my local mechanic do it, my warrantee is void. Unbelievable!

o

My local ACE hardware made a spare Honda key for me for $75. The Honda key has milled trace on the side of the key instead of regular notches on its edge. His key cutter had a little milling cutter that copied the trace from my original key. He, then, read the electronic key code and programmed the copy. He claimed that although my car did not have an anti-theft feature, the start system would not respond if the wrong key was inserted, or a key that had been de-programmed.

The keys are not that expensive. Most of the charge was to pay him for the use of his coding fixture and software, and for stocking many different key "blanks" that sit on the shelf and may not get sold.

It does get more expensive if you do not have a key to copy. In that case, you are stuck with the dealer.

o

Might check your auto insurance policy and see if it covers key replacement.

o

I, too, needed another key for a Toyota. Went to Ace Hardware and they did not have a blank for it. The Ace rep told me to go a good locksmith for the key, because it was so much cheaper than the dealership. Went to a reputable locksmith and got the key for $8. If the key had had a chip in it, the cost would have been $65. Dealers rip you off, and if the car is out of warranty anyway, wny pay all of that extra money.

o

This thread makes me appreciate my 10 yr. old truck with a plain old ignition key.

o

Honda key

I forgot to mention that my spare key cut by Ace Hardware did not contain any remote functions like door locks. However, he assured me that it did conatin a recognition chip and that is what he programmed. To start the engine, not only does the key have to mechanically fit the lock, the computer has to recognize the key.

I like my 14 yr old Jeep. It does have a key fob remote, but it will also work with an ordinary key.

o

Plain old ordinary key operates my '05 Cobalt. Lost it the other day - but that's another story.

No remote, though - I gotta be in the seat ... but rumour has it that someone needs to be in the seat to drive it ... or any of the fancy ones, either, for that matter (or, so I'm told).

o j

o

I hope I never lose my fob because it starts the car. A key might get me in (so will the numbered password) but I need a fob to start it. The dealer has me at their mercy! It's the bad with the good. The fob lets me in the car, while it's in my purse too. That's the good.

I'm sure it would cost us 250.00 for a new fob. Terrible!

o

My car is 23 years old. No electric doors, starter, or windows. And I am happy about that. My additional key was $5, that was 10 years ago. I've had three or four new ones cut since then, not the factory key (Walmart or hardware store keys). I'm still nowhere near $250. Thank goodness! Guess I'll just keep on driving that sucker into the ground. It's gonna be like that scene from The Mask where Jim Carrey's character gets out of the shop's "loaner" and kicks it; it falls into one big heap. But my car is paid for. And the key too!

Here is a link that might be useful: The car scene

o

be thankful it wasn't more. We had to have a VW key made and it was about $400!
Always have a spare somewhere.

o

Rob, what kind of car do you have that it has run for 23 years? I traded in my 1996 Honda Accord this fall and I wish I had it back. It was a great little car but I worried that at that age and with 157,000 miles, it might turn into a money pit. Still, I only got $1300 on trade in, so i wish i had just kept it. I could park it anywhere and not worry about scratches. It was small and zippy and had a regular key!

I do like being able to open the trunk of the car from inside the house. That always makes me giggle.

o

I drive a 2000 Jeep. Jeeps started using the chip-keys in 2001. Guess I'll be keeping mine a while longer...

o

Mazda Miata, the first year they came out :) I have always driven Hondas and Mazdas. At one point, we had four Mazdas. Great little cars! My second car was a 1976 Honda CVCC. Loved that little guy.

o

I don't believe that a key without a chip won't work.

We've bought cars that will have one chipped key and two spare keys without chips (to the best of my recollection) a few times!

I remember learning about sales in school; the best sales tactic was a scare tactic such as voiding the warranty!

o

My Mazda 323 with standard tranny was 24 years old when it bit the dust last summer ('88 to '12 is 24, isn't it?) ... garage told me that the $65. for a replacement water pump ... and the $300. or so needed to install it wasn't worth it.

The electrical connection to the thermostat-controlled fan at the radiator had gone bad, so the superheated coolant (if you'll pardon the expression: I claim to know whether I'm coming or going) had blown the seals in the water pump.

What was that about, " ... for the want of a nail ... the shoe was lost ... for a want of a shoe the horse was lost ... and for the want of a horse ... the king was lost ... and for the want of a king, the nation was lost"?

The '05 Cobalt that replaced it (for a modest price, paid in cash without strain: a financial cushion causes less stress, on occasion) ...

... doesn't have a light inside the ignition lock that "tells you where to put it", so to speak.

And doesn't have two little lights over the front seats, that one can push one side of to turn on a light concentrated on one's lap, then push the other side of it to turn off.

Gotta reach around behind one's right shoulder ... using the arthritic right shoulder that doesn't like to push the arm up high, to push the switch on the light that lights up the interior. Glucosamine sulphate started a few months ago is causing some improvement, there - less onerous to reach breakfast cereal on the top shelf, recently.

As the kid replied when the oldsters, after church, were complaining about this and that regarding the service, "What do you want for a nickel - chimes?"

Hope you're enjoying your wheels.

ole joyfuelled ... who also needs a bit o' gas, at times

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here