Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Cranberries - Week 2 October 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 13:01

My cousin sent this to me.

Sugared Cranberries

This recipe was in our local paper. Very easy, and we really like them.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
2 cups fresh cranberries
1/4 to 1/2 cup superfine sugar

Combine gran. sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat (do not boil). Stir in cranberries; pour mixture into a bowl; cover & refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid, if desired. Place superfine sugar in a shallow dish. Add cranberries, rolling to coat. Spread cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry.
Store in an airtight container in a cool place up to a week. If you can't find superfine sugar, make your own by processing gran. sugar in a food processor for 1 minute.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Cranberries - Week 2 October 2013

I have two which are tried and true recipes.

Cranberry sausage balls
My version of cranberry sausage balls

l pkg Maple Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage You can use mild or hot, but I like the maple flavor
2 cups all purpose baking mix
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp ground allspice
3/4 cup or less of chopped dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/pecans
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix the baking mix, cheddar cheese and ground allspice first, then with your hands mix in the sausage, cranberries, pecans. It takes a while to work in the cranberries and pecans.

Shape into 1 inch balls.
Place on ungreased baking sheet, ***I use parchment paper and recommend your using.
They baked in my oven 20 minutes and came out perfect. Bottoms will be browner than the rest.
Note: Cheese Balls may be prepared ahead and frozen uncooked. To bake from frozen: thaw on cookie sheet 15 minutes; bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes

They were delicious in their unusual way. The maple sausage and the allspice is what made it extra good.
In comparison with the regular sausage balls, all I can say is they are different.
---------------------------------------------------------

Cranberry meatballs
2 pounds ground chuck
2 large eggs
1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 (16-ounce) can cranberry sauce OR you can use the whole cranberry suce.
1 (12-ounce) jar chili sauce
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Shape mixture into about 54 (1-inch) balls.***I made 75 with smaller balls

Cook meatballs, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned (about 5 minutes); remove meatballs from pan, and drain well on paper towels.

Stir together cranberry and chili sauces, sugar and lemon juice. in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and cook, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes or until smooth. Add meatballs; reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until centers are no longer pink. **Because my meatballs were smaller, cooked in 10 minutes.

Serve with toothpicks and french bread cubes

o

This is one that Daisy posted a few years ago, and I use it a lot.

Cranberry Salad

1 package cranberries

1 large package of the small marshmallows

1 pint whipping cream, whipped *

2 cups sugar

2 cans crushed pineapple (13 -15oz), drained

1 cup nuts, cut fine

Grind berries (they grind better if frozen - I use the blender to do this). Mix in the sugar and let stand 2 hours or overnight.

Add pineapple, marshmallows, whipped cream and nuts.

Cover and chill for 2 hours or longer.

This makes a large amount. It freezes well and leftovers will keep up to a year in the freezer.

*You can use a large tub of whipped topping like Cool Whip but the whipping cream makes a huge difference in taste.

(I don't care for the marshmallows in it, so don't use them)

o

Holiday Cranberry Chutney

1 12-ounce bag fresh or frozen cranberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 large cooking apple, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until apple is tender and mixture thickens. Cool completely.

Store in the refrigerator. Serve over cream cheese with crackers or as a condiment with pork, ham or chicken.

o

This is so easy. Wash and dry room temperature cranberries. Dip them in melted almond bark. Spread them out on parchment paper until they are completely dry, putting them in clusters of two or three. When they're dry, store in airtight containers in the fridge, unless you are taking them to a party and expect them to be eaten soon. They are sweet and tangy and best served at room temp.

o

Cranberry Relish for Turkey

In a food processor with the chopping blade, add one package of fresh or frozen raw cranberries, and one washed orange which you have cut in 8ths, skin and all. Process together till finely chopped. I usually do half at a time. Pour out into a bowl and add 1 cup of sugar. Refrigerate for use in a few days or freeze for longer storage. Some people like to add chopped walnuts or almonds or pecans, but we don't.

o

This is the recipe I've made for years.
From the Oceanspray website

Cranberry orange nut bread

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons shortening
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in orange juice, orange peel, shortening and egg. Mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in loaf pan.

Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Wrap and store overnight. Makes 1 loaf (16 slices).

PER SERVING (1 slice): Cal. 211, Fat Cal. 54, Protein 3grams, Carb. 37grams, Fat 6grams, Chol. 18mg., Sodium 313mg.

o

Cranberry and Orange Tea

4 cups boiling water
4 orange pekoe tea bags.
Steep for 5 minutes, squeeze bags and discard.
Add
1/2 sugar (or less to taste); stir until dissolved
2 cups cranberry juice
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice

o

The Cranberry Relish that sheilajoice posted is a favorite in our family. Love it!

o

When DD#5 was about a 6th grader, she loved the cranberry dessert they served at school, so she asked the cooks for their recipe.. (This DD is awaiting the birth of her second grandchild at the moment!)

Sift together in bowl:
2 c. sifted flour
3 tsp. BP
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. sugar.

Measure 3 Tbsp. melted shortening, and add to 1 cup milk and 1 tsp. vanilla. Add to dry ingredients. Beat thoroughly and fold in 2 cups whole cranberries. Bake in 350º oven for about 45 minutes.

Serve with caramel sauce made of 1 stick of butter, browned slightly. Add 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 3/4 cup cream. Bring to a boil, and boil one minute.

o

It is so nice seeing so many good cranberry recipes that I can't wait to try. We love cranberries.

Candied Cranberries

4 cups cranberries
1 cup cold water
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Put all the above ingredients in large pot. Cover and boil for 20 minutes. Do not remove the cover! Take the pot off the stove and keep the cover on! Do not remove the cover till the cranberries are very cold.

o

Here is one very similar to walnutcreek's Holiday Cranberry Chutney.

Cranberry Apple Relish
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp each ground cinnamon, cloves and allspice
1/2 cup apple juice
4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2 medium size tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped coarse
1/2 cup chopped toasted English walnuts
Mix sugar, spices and apple juice in a deep microwave safe bowl. Stir in cranberries and apples. Cover loosely with wax paper. Microwave on high 8 to 10 minutes stirring twice, until cranberries pop. Uncover and continue cooking 2 to 4 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir in walnuts. Cool before serving.
( great with the bird, or used as a snack with cream cheese and crackers)

Crustless Cranberry Pie (From Allrecipes)
1 cup flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
Preheat oven to 350 Grease 1 9" pie plate
Combine flour, sugar and salt. Stir in cranberries and walnuts, toss to coat. Stir in the butter, eggs and almond extract. Spread into prepared pie dish.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or till pick comes out clean.
(We love this warm from the oven with ice cream.)

Cranberry Upside Down Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
4 to 5 cups fresh cranberries
2 1/2 cups sugar (I use 1 1/2 cups here and it works fine)
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 cup walnut halves or pieces
Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle nuts over melted butter. Pour cranberries over nuts. Add sugars, spreading over cranberries. Mix slightly.
Prepare cake mix according to package directions and pour over all.
Bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen cake around edges and invert on serving plate. Have cool whip or ice cream on hand.

Cranberry Softies
1/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbl grated orange peel
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries
Beat together margarine ,brown sugar, egg, vanilla orange peel and salt til light and fluffy. Add flour and soda. Blend well. Stir in nuts and cranberries.
Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes.
48 1 3/4 in. cookies

Cranberry Fruit Bread
12 oz fresh or frozen cranberries cut in half
2 cups pecan halves
1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup golden raisins
1 TBL grated orange peel
4 cups flour, divided
2 cups sugar
1 TBL baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup melted Crisco
1/4 cup warm water
Combine cranberries, pecans, fruit, dates, raisins, and orange peel with 1/4 cup of the flour. Set aside.
In another bowl combine sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining 3 3/4 cups of flour. Set aside.
In very large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add orange juice, melted Crisco and water. Mix well. Add flour mixture and stir just till combined. Fold in cranberry mixture.

Spoon into 3 greased and wax paper lined 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 60 to 65 minutes. Test with toothpick.
I usually bake this in 7 mini loaf pans for about 45 minutes.
(If I could only make one kind of bread for Christmas give away and for our own consumption, it would be this one.)

o

I used to take this for school Christmas buffet's. Everyone enjoyed this!

CRUSTLESS CRANBERRY PIE

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract **I use vanilla

Directions

Butter a nine inch pie plate and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Stir in cranberries and walnuts then add butter, eggs and extract. Stir until well combined then spread evenly in the pie plate. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Can be served warm or cool.

o

This is one I got from Gardenweb. It must have been many years ago, before I started keeping names of posters with the recipes they posted. Regardless, the recommendation is correct. It is so nice for a change. If this is your recipe, let me know so that I can give proper credit.

Cranberry Horseradish Mustard Sauce

Many people on Gardenweb highly recommend this sauce.

12 oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries
1 c. water
3/4 c. white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar

Wash and pick over the berries, put water and sugars in sauce pan( large enough to prevent boil over) and bring to a boil, add berries and return to a boil, cook on medium for 15 to 20 minutes from the time it returns to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Cool to luke warm and add 3 T. fresh (fresh is hotter!) horseradish and 1T Dijon mustard, stir, refrigerate and enjoy!

o

This is very, very good. cyalexa posted it here several years ago.

CRANBERRY COMPOTE WITH RUBY PORT & DRIED FIGS

I made this last night. It is the best cranberry sauce I've ever tasted. I decreased the white sugar to 1/2 cup and cooked the berries about 15 minutes instead of 6. I also added a 1/4 tsp cinnamon. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cranberry-Sauce-with-Port-and-Dried-Figs-105836 cyalexa@gardenweb

1 2/3 cups ruby Port
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
8 dried black Mission figs, stemmed and chopped into ¼-inch pieces
1 6-inch-long sprig fresh rosemary
1/4 t. ground black pepper
12 ounces fresh cranberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Combine first six ingredients in medium saucepan.

Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
Mix in cranberries and granulated sugar.

Cook over medium heat until liquid is slightly reduced and berries burst, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.

Cool. Discard rosemary.

Transfer sauce to bowl; chill until cold.

Makes 10-12 side servings.

Note: Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated. LOL, yes, the port helps! I actually use a little less port than the recipe calls for - I didn't have enough the first time I made it and it came out perfectly, so I figured why mess with success. I probably use a cup and a quarter of the port while keeping the rest of the recipe the same (actually, that would be 2.5 cups since I ALWAYS make a double batch).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here