Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else get painful skin splits on fingers?

Posted by dbfirewife (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 12:55

I do!... I get them on my thumbs. Usually not this early in the fall or winter season but I have been refinishing some antique furniture for my daughter and it has been brutal on my poor hands. I wear gloves when using chemicals but you just can't work in gloves using sandpaper and sometimes they spring a leak... so I have had some splits on my right thumb. Oh man.. they are so painful.. I have tried putting a wad of neosporin on them with a bandaid overnight, that usually helps but it hadn't been with these....They have been so painful that I can't hardly zip my jeans. Last night I went to the store on a search for something else to use. I picked up some Nexcare Skin Crack Care. It's a clear liquid and comes in what looks like a small finger nail polish bottle. I painted a coat on before I went to bed, it dries in about a minute, then I went ahead and put another coat on. This morning my thumb hardly hurts at all!.... This is some great stuff let me tell you!....The box says is it waterproof but if you need to remove it just rub it off while your hand is wet. It also does not sting when you put it on and you cannot see it, it's clear. I can highly recommend it to anyone else that is bothered by these painful skin splits. It's not what I would call cheap, it was almost 8.00 for the bottle but I can tell it will last a long time and it's so worth it just because it works. I also noticed that Carmex has a whole new line of skin care creams and ointments out. I picked up some of the cream in the little tin to try it... it's a very thick rich cream but not greasy at all. They have a small, sample size tin of the cream for just over 1.00 to try, that is what I got to try but I'm going back for the bigger one, I love the way my hands feel this morning. Just wanted to share....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else get painful skin splits on fingers?

Absolutely, I get them! Mine are on my thumbs and knuckles, and I've been told I don't drink enough water and keep my hands in soapy water too long. I use that udder hand cream, which works for me. If I put Argon oil in my bath water, that helps, too.

o

Thanks - I'll definitely look for the Nexcare. I often get the little skin cracks in the winter and there are times when I go to bed with 4 or 5 fingertips covered in neosporin with bandaids on top.

o

My skin does not crack, but I read online a group of spinners who had problems with their hands snagging the wool. They recommend Working Hands by OKeefe. I find it at Lowe's in the paint department, where the clerk who helped me find it says that they cannot keep it on the shelves. You can also get it online. Great on feet and heels too. It comes in a screw top jar, and you don't use a lot for an application.

o

Yes I get those painful cracks on my thumbs every winter. I use the Nexcare just like you and it does help a lot.I think it is one of the unpleasant results of being older because I did not get them when I was younger.
Joann

o

Best thing ever is O'Keefe's Working Hands cream.
I buy it at our local Ace Hardware.
Take a look at O'Keefe's website....their product is guaranteed.
I also use the one for foot care....amazing stuff.

o

Ditto what Carol said. I learned about Working Hands on this forum, and am on my second jar. Gave some to my kids, who feel the same way about it. So do the friends I've recommended it to.

o

I also use liquid bandage on the smaller cuts.

o

I don't usually have that problem. I did buy all the men some of the O'Keefe's one year for Christmas. My husband couldn't remember what he did with his, he probably threw it away, Grrrr.

Sue

o

ditto on the Okeffe's my husband has real problems with his hands and feet and he used both the hand and foot cream from them. Now they have it at Bed Bath and Beyond before that we got it at Lowes.

Here is a link that might be useful: okeffes

o

An easy aid when you're out and about during the day...Chapstick! The cracks on my thumbs get so painful during the winter months. I can't keep up with skin care applications 24/7 to alleviate the problem so now, I never leave home without a tube of Chapstick in my bag...and I apply it liberally throughout my time away from home. It works like a charm and is so easy to keep with you. Not only does it soften the skin...it reduces the pain.

Anne

o

Yes...and I read once and I think it was on this site that chapstick works...tried it and it did work for me...

o

Thank you for posting about this, dbfirewife. I have terribly dry hands and the skin breaks easily. I'm going to try working hands!

o

Ditto (tiny little cracks and roughness), and I've never thought I have really dry skin.
I have a few tubes of Neosporin/pain relief that helps, but it always happens that soon after I put it on, I'm in the loo and need to wash up!

And yes, it's not even really cold out yet!

I think I'll check out these other products you're recommending.

o

I used to get those all the time in the winter in MI working in the grocery store. They hurt so bad at times. I don't get them anymore now here in Florida. I used to wear bandaids on my thumbs all the time!

o

I was a florist and always got them especially around Valentines Day while dethorning all the roses. I would put super glue on them, it burned a little but sealed them over so it didn't hurt. I'd get the cheap kind from the $ store 3-4 tubes per pack. I had to re apply it frequently but it sure made my life easier during the holidays. Also thick lotion/shea butter with cotton gloves overnight helps with the dry hands issues.

o

I have a terrible time in the winter. And it's especially bad when I'm doing a lot of quilting (working with cotton dries out your hands). I use udder cream and bandaids.

o

There are two products that make Okeafes working hands look like silly putty by comparison, but when I tell you what they are, most will turn their nose up and cope an atttitude....well, if you don't beleive me, ask your pharmacist, doctor or dermatologist...in fact, Jans dermotologist has written her prescriptions for both...

what are they?

"Corn Huskers Lotion" or "Bag Balm"

Those of you who live in or near farming communities throughout the midwest probably alread know about them.

Corn Huskers lotion was originally made for just what the name implies, farmers who were husking corn. Nothing dries your hands out like handling wet cornstalks all day. The moisture floats the essential oils up and out of your skin and the cornstalks absorb it until your hands are so dry they will literally split just from flexing a finger.

Bag Balm was originally formulated to apply on the teats & udders of milk cows so they wouldn't dry out and bleed in winter. Bag balm is basically a blend of vasoline and pure lanolyn and it has some antibacterial stuff in it..

The udder cream that Glenda mentioned is a milder form of bag balm that is made by a cosmetic company,but if you want the real thing, as your drugist,,,I guarantee they have it on the shelf in your drug store.

o

Thanks for the tip about O'Keffe's and Bag Balm. I did see O'Keffe's in Home Depot the other day. I will get some of it for my son in law. I will also pick up some bag balm... might as well add both of them to my collection! I was able to do an entire days work yesterday without my thumb hurting from the splits. I wish I had found the Nexcare for skin splits a long time ago.

o

There are two products that make Okeafes working hands look like silly putty by comparison, but when I tell you what they are, most will turn their nose up and cope an atttitude....

Lazypup, it's just remarkable how you consistently know so much more than the rest of us. I can think of no other explanation for your endlessly condescending air.

As for Corn Huskers and Bag Balm, I've tried both and rate each a big fat zero. They were a complete waste of money.

My thanks again to Carol and the other KTers who recommended O'Keefe's Working Hands.

o

My absolute favorite is Burt's Bees Hand Salve. I don't get splits as much as snags around my nails, but the Hand Salve works amazingly well for me. They make my hands look like whole new hands! :)

o

Having a bad day...are we, Alisande.

Anne

o

Not at all, Anne. In fact, I'm feeling happy that the deer damage to my car is in the $50 range--much lower than I'd anticipated.

o

I have used Bag Balm and I have used Corn Huskers lotion but nothing works as well as O'Keefes....and it is guaranteed.

o

lazypuup - why would Jan need a prescription for those - aren't they OTC?

o

"As for Corn Huskers and Bag Balm, I've tried both and rate each a big fat zero. They were a complete waste of money."

Ditto for my husband! Will be trying the O'Keefes.

o

Marie- You are correct, they are OTC but Jans dermatologist wrote a prescription so her insurance would pay for it.

o

I first tried Corn huskers lotion some 30 years ago, still swear by the stuff.

You were right, lazypup, most did turn up their noses.

o

Carmex for fingers and corn huskers for rough feet.
Works for me

o

My husband use to work in the paint department a company that manufactured and painted automobile parts and the only thing that worked for his rough hands was Corn Huskers. It would not wash off when his hands were exposed to paint thinner. As for the Bag Balm, he had an itchy rash on his leg and his Dr prescribed meds that he used for weeks and the rash did not heal. The only thing the prescribed medicine did, was relieve the itch. He decided to use the Bag Balm and within less than a week, the rash was gone. And to this day, has not returned.

o

The Corn Huskers and Bag Balm does work good for rough dry and cracked skin on the hands - but it doesn't do much for those painful splits down the fingers are a whole different thing. Oye - they hurt! Mine are usually on my thumb too.

I will look for the Nexcare Skin Crack Care - sounds like something good to have on hand. I have even used super glue once in a pinch. It helped - but sting! Yes it did!

o

dbfirewife -- I'm glad that you brought this up. I have a split on my thumb from doing too much cleaning and housework.

I got some Mr.Clean gloves, which I like, but I keep forgetting to put them on before I start cleaning.

o

When I worked in an appliance and hardware store, there was always a container of Bag Balm on the shelf in the lunch/lounge room in back - one never knew what they might get their hands into, even if just mountains of drying filing and paperwork :)

For those really painful actual cracks and cuts though (and I was the one shuffling papers so I had to be clean during the day and not leave fingerprints anywhere), I would squeeze out a couple of tablespoons of Neosporin, the ointment not cream product, massage it into my hands at bedtime and put on a pair of cotton gloves. If I was lucky, I didn't pull the gloves off during the night (since I'm also the one who washes sheets) and next morning my hands would be about 90% better.

o

So far this fall I have had two of those painful cracks on my thumbs. I had bought a container of "No Crack" cream last year but 'of course' had not thought to start using it, so had to use cloverine salve & bandaid until they were healed. If the 'No Crack' cream doesn't work, then I will look into these other products. It doesn't help that I wash my hands a million times a day!

o

I have really bad psoriasis. I told my husband to stop by Lowe's on his lunch break or on his way home and see if they had O'Keefe's Working Hands. He brought me 2 containers of it! I immediately put some on my elbows, hands and feet. (he didn't see the one for feet/heals). I put some more on after my shower and my hands feel so much better! My heals split something awful because of psoriasis on my feet but this stuff makes them feel better! Thank you so much for mentioning this product!!!

Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here