Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Is Your Day Today?

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 12:54

It is a pretty day out here finally and up to 52. I have been busy in the kitchen. The candied sweet potatoes are still baking. The pumpkin pie and the gingerbread are done and they look pretty good. I did mash up some sweet potato and put in my pumpkin pie. The rest I had left from the can, I froze for future pies. I had some beets in the refrigerator and I decided to pickle them. I am not canning them but will keep them in the refrigerator for Thanksgiving. They keep a few months. I have cleaned the shellie beans and have to wash them and get those simmering for tomorrow's birthday dinner. I also have to make the onion and cucumber salad. I might make some apple salad and I want to check and see if I still have some good tomatoes in the garage for tomorrow. What are the rest of you doing today and is your weather nice?

Sue in Central Indiana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Is Your Day Today?

It's aa beautiful day here in Ocala. It was 58 when I got up this morning and very little humidity. Wonderful!

It's football Saturday here. Need to check the TV Guide to see when our games are on. This is the last day Harry's DD is here and I will miss her when she leaves tomorrow. The time just flew by and we won't see them again until next spring. They live in California so visits are to be enjoyed!

o

Pumpkin pie and gingerbread, your kitchen must smell heavenly. I decided I wanted to stay home today and not do so much gadding about; then I remembered I also wanted to make Stuffed Green Pepper Soup, so first went to the bank for some cash (never have cash, use my debit card so much), went to DG and bought all the ingredients I needed except the grd. beef for $5.75! Got home, started to put it together and only had a small amount of frozen green peppers in the freezer. Yep,had to turn off the meat and onions, run into town and get some fresh green peppers. That accomplished, I started to crush the whole canned tomatoes with my hands and of course one squished back at me and all over the front of my shirt. :( Where's my apron?

Soup all assembled in the pot, thought it looked thick so added a bit of water - forgot about the beef broth I was to add. Ugh. Luckily I had bought some. Checked recipe one last time - forgot cooked rice.....well, I'll add that at the very end.

NOW, I'm going to just sit and relax and wait for the soup to get done.

o

It is a fairly nice day here as I look up through the sky light above me I see blue skies and puffy white clouds and the temp is currently 82 here in North Houston area.

Not much scheduled today since hubby has to work this weekend. Will watch the OU Sooners game at 6.

Other than that who knows. I need to get a few totems assembled so I might do that.

o

Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

sounds good want to share the recipe? Mom used to make stuffed peppers never thought of soup

o

Today has been a mixture of a little of this and a little of that. Paid bills, am doing some cooking. A couple of places didn't get cleaned this week, so I did them.

It's off/on rain here in Ohio. And once in a while I get a look at the sun.

Schoolhouse, when you finally get that soup done, I'd like a bowl of it. First time I ever had it was at work. One of the girls in the office did a 'lunch' run. She'd call the few restaurants we had to get their specials. The majority ruled on which place to go. We'd tell her what we wanted and she'd go get it. One day, the special was stuffed pepper soup. If a person likes stuffed peppers, they would probably like the soup.

Shirley

o

Like Raven Cajun said, it is a beautiful day in this part of the world. I got up, made a list and have been working on it. Getting quite a bit done. Jody went to a shrimp boil, but I didn't want to go...so I am happily home alone.

o

Slept very late, later than usual.

Dollar Tree and bought stuff!

Lunch

Getting ready for the 6 pm Gonna be a good one!

o

Well, the name of this recipe is "Unstuffed" pepper soup; but I call it Stuffed Gr.Pepper Soup. I think I've probably posted it before but here it is:

1.5# grd. beef
3 large green peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 14.5oz.cans of beef broth
2 10.75oz. cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 4oz. can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1.5 cups cooked rice

In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook the beef, green peppers and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broth, soup, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice and heat through. Yield: 10 servings.

o

My recipe for unstuffed pepper soup doesn't call for mushrooms. I don't use 2 cans of tomato soup. I use 1 can of tomato soup and a can full of ketchup. I also don't add the rice to the soup. If you have any soup leftover and have the rice in it the rice will suck up all the juice so you won't have "soup" the next meal. My husband prefers it over macaroni. I put the rice or macaroni in the bowl and then put the soup over it.

It also freezes really good. We just had it for dinner night before last and we are on the road in our motor home.

We are in Tyler, Texas visiting folks from here and the Meeting House. Today Vannie and her husband came to visit us. They took us out for a tour and then stopped at a restaurant in Longview for late lunch. It was wonderful and we are now stuffed so no cooking for me tonight.

Our weather is 81 degrees with 37% humidity and a nice breeze.

o

It is pleasantly cool in the 60s and overcast today. I should be gardening as I want to work compost into the flower border in front. Not yet, however, as I need to run some errands still.

o

It was an absolutely glorious day here. Cool, clear, just in the upper 60's.

DD came down for the day. We headed out to a hydroponic tomato farm--they also grow peppers, cucumbers and lettuce hydroponically. We both bought a bunch of stuff. Then we came home and carved our pumpkins--but DD left hers for me, so I have 2 masterpieces on my front steps. Mine is an owl face, hers was a scene with a tree, ghost and graveyard.

She stayed for dinner, of course (isn't that the point of visiting mom and dad? LOL)--we had stir-fried veggie sandwiches, potatoes boiled in chicken stock, salad made with our fresh lettuce and cherry tomatoes from the farm, and pumpkin cheesecake for dessert.

o

Fighting a head cold, so stayed inside and worked on stamp collection. Glad I have my new snow boots, as they are talking snow end of next week unless we sent it east!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here