Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to use to clean painted baseboards?

Posted by pammyfay (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 12:49

They are painted light blue.
Around the house, they've just picked up the usual dust and dog hair, especially the ones near the windows.

I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol and vinegar for windows -- would that pull up the paint finish?

Or should I just damp-clean with a wet microfiber cleaning cloth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to use to clean painted baseboards?

I use Dawn dishwashing liquid with hot water in a bucket and use a old hand towel or wash cloth. It works really well. I had some collected dust up a corner or two and got out the Shark hand steamer and blasted it out with that. I also used the Shark steamer on the bathroom cabinets to get dust out of corners and crevices.

o

I vacuum mine.with the dusting brush attachment. I also keep a paint brush handy to get into corners and niches.

o

Even just a damp rag or micro fiber cloth..

o

I would use Mr. clean. Mix up a small bucket full of that and then have another bucket of warm clear water for rinsing and just use a sponge or washcloth and work your way around the room. Rinse the dirty one in the clear water so you don't contaminate the Mr. clean.

o

What a timely post. I was looking at mine last week and thinking my baseboards and trim need a good cleaning. I was going to try the shark steam cleaner attachment because I can't bend over to wash them because of my vertigo and if I get down on the floor I can't get back up because of my bad knee. have an attachment that has a long fuzzy cover that might help clean them. I sure miss the days when I could wash the floors on my hands and knees

o

Murphy Soap diluted in a bucket of warm water and a rag, no need to rinse.

o

Try the "magic eraser", that might be the easiest on the paint.

o

I agree with Lisa - Murphy Oil Soap, warm water, a micro fiber cloth and a small bucket of cool water for rinsing.

o

I just use a damp rag. Are all the cleaning products necessary? I never even thought of using anything but water.

o

Socks, the oil soap conditions the wood, which, over time, dries out.

o

But the baseboards are painted- how does the soap condition through the paint?

This post was edited by FlamingO_in_AR on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 11:54

o

Spic and Span is what I used to use when I could get down and clean them. I guess they need it now as I look at them. lol
The vacuum will do for now.
Mary

o

Per Colgate's website:

"Murphy's Oil Soap was made especially for sealed wood but is a fantastic, natural, hardworking, safe cleaner that you can use around your house to clean any surface except glass.

Please do not use on unfinished or unsealed wood."

o

Any mild cleaner dissolved in water. If you use Murphy Oil Soap, use just a teeny bit or you'll leave a slightly sticky film. I have a 'lifetime supply' of Armstrong Floor Cleaner (overbought) that I use on floors and woodwork -- no sticky residue and no rinsing.

o

Wood flooring manufacturers will not recommend Murphy's. It leaves a gummy film of soap....there are no conditioners or emollients in the soap.

I use plain water for baseboards...I honestly never notice a need for a cleaner. Maybe a bit of vinegar if there's something sticky.

o

Just a damp sponge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here