SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Buying used

alisande
11 years ago

I buy used books all the time--from library book sales and from Amazon, where I also sell. And the Salvation Army is my #1 source for clothes. But yesterday I ordered my first used camera. I'm really surprised it took me so long. Photographers have long traded in used equipment--my father did it often, although that was pre-digital, before camera manufacturers started coming out with new models every year.

The camera I ordered is a Panasonic LX3, which will complement my other cameras, a superzoom and a DSLR. I wanted something smaller to carry with me all the time, and I've seen some stunning images from the LX3. It came out in 2008, and since then two newer models have replaced it. But it has some very loyal fans who feel image quality is tops with the LX3. It's still available new, but money is always an issue. So after a lot of deliberation I ordered a "like new" used LX3 from an Amazon seller.

The day after I placed the order, KEH (a reliable seller of used photographic equipment) put one up for sale. Had I seen it earlier, I probably would have gone for it. But I'm optimistic about my purchase, which should arrive in a day or two.

What have you been buying used?

Comments (40)