Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bawling my eyes out....

Posted by CountrySunshine (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 12:16

Whhoooo boy... I have about 20 lbs. of wonderful onions that need to be chopped and frozen... and oh my.. they sure have my tears flowing... I've tried ever trick in the book to keep from it... and would give up except these are home grown and so purty.....

I noticed a few getting some bad spots on them and figured it was time to dice and freeze.... don't want to waste any at all...

Anyone want to join me... ?? LOL

Carolyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bawling my eyes out....

No thanks. I have a bowl full on the kitchen counter that have very pretty 3-4 inch sprouts growing. Not sure if that means they should not be eaten or what but they sure are happy sitting there growing!

o

I was worried! lol No thanks, I won't join you!

o

Oh I love onions, I will join you when you get ready to eat them.

You've probably already tried these but listed below are the top ten tips for slicing an onion.

1) Use the partial-slice French knife technique
2) Wear onion goggles
3) Have a fan blow the air away from you
4) Refrigerate or freeze onion for 20 minutes first
5) Cut really really quickly
6) Wear contact lenses, not glasses
7) Chop near a flame
8) Slice under a range hood
9) Stick a piece of white bread in your mouth while cutting
10) Use a super-sharp knife

I usually do #4 & 5.

o

I love onions!

I was going to ask this as a general question but do most of you keep them at room temperature, or in the frig. I always keep mine in the frig.

I kept some at room temperature but I noticed that they were much hotter, and made me cry. In the frig I don't have that problem as much.

o

Well, I managed to get one cookie tray in the freezer, and I did cut very quickly with a very sharp knife... nice little diced pieces.. so should freeze quickly...

I don't have a range hood, since I have a down draft stove.. For my next batch, I will go and get my little fan and try blowing the essence away from me....

After I freeze them I shall put them in food saver bags... and ta da.... good to go...

Thanks Ruthie for the tips.. ;0)

Carolyn

o

I have a down draft....I turn it on, create a draft for about 10-15 minutes and then lay the cutting board on the cooktop to cut the onions.

o

The fan works !! But now Larry is saying he can smell em... LOL I told him to come on over here and help dice then... =0)

o

You sound like me, loves onions and hates to waste!

Having a potato (or potato chip) in your mouth can help too.

o

Good luck with your onions. I froze onions one year. Everything in the freezer smelled of onions. I won't do that again. I am cleaning beans for canning this afternoon and for several days I think.

Sue in Central Indiana

o

We owned a restaurant all my life growing up. I always remember when they were dicing the onions they always had a matchstik in their mouth.

o

I just cut up the ones that were starting to deteriorate, so ended up with about two quarts on onions....put them in Food Saver bags, and then a gallon size freezer bag.... so that should work... Winter is almost upon us so there will be lots of wonderful dishes cooked using those onions.. they won't last long..

o

I freeze an onion for 15 minutes before chopping. It stops the crying every time.

o

I heard if you chew gum, like spearmint, dentyne, big red, some flavor like that it helps.

I tried it and it did work... good luck

o

we had a sweet onion halved and with a beef boullion cube on top and baked...like a slice of onion soup...

o

Swim goggles?

o

I did that this past spring/summer when the FFA was selling Vidalia onions. We put away 50 lbs. of onions. Actually, I did not have a problem with the tears. Hope your work goes swiftly!

o

The fan works !!
That is what I've always found to work best when I have a lot needing cut. It also helps if cutting a lot of peppers that are 'quite hot' too.

o

I liked reading all the tips about cutting onions and avoiding tears. Glad you were able to get them all processed.

CS, you and Salgal both have a downdraft as do I but I have an OT question. My Jennair electric stove needs replacing and I have not been able to find what I need. How "new" are your stoves if you don't mind my asking. The only local Jennair dealer has just recently gone out of business. TIA for your answer.

jude

o

My stove is about 16 years old.... and is on it's way out... but have been looking at new ones at Home Depot and Lowes... They aren't readily available.. but I did find a nice on at Lowes... I was told, but don't know it to be true.. but was told that ALL downdraft stoves are made my Jennair for various brands...

Hope you find what you are looking for...

o

16 years old?

And dieing?

Yuck!

o j

o

My stove, 30 in. electric slide-in model, is (gasp) 23 years old, but the clock died and I can't clean the oven...so old can't get parts, but I have loved it. I'll check out Lowe's. Thanks.

o

Just do it fast. I have a great sharp knife and I learned how to chop by watching Food Network.

o

Jude.. my stove is a "Maytag" brand, and I have had trouble with from the git go... calling for service got me nowhere... they came out took it apart, put it together and messed it up worse than beforem so more calls for service, and that went on for a loooong time,..... finally I called the home office, and t hey abruptly told me it was no longer under warrantee and that they never got an notice of any service calls...

Let me just say, I will never in my lifetime buy a Maytag anything again.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here