Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a funny...can you relate?

Posted by foggyj (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 12:12

Car keys:

Several days ago as I left a meeting at a hotel; I desperately gave
myself a personal TSA pat down. I was looking for my keys.

They were not in my pockets. A quick search
in the meeting room revealed nothing.

Suddenly I realized I
must have left them in the car. Frantically, I headed for the parking
lot. My husband has scolded me many times for leaving the keys in the
ignition.

My theory is the ignition is the best place not to
lose them. His theory is that the car will be stolen.

As I burst through the door, I came to a terrifying conclusion. His theory was right. The parking lot was empty.
I immediately called the police. I gave them my location, confessed that I had left my keys in the car, and that it had
been stolen.

Then I made the most difficult call of all, "Honey," I stammered; I always call him "honey" in times like these. "I left my keys in the car, and it has
been stolen."

There was a period of silence. I thought the call had been dropped, but then I heard his voice. He barked, "I dropped you off!"

Now it was my time to be silent. Embarrassed, I
said, "Well, come and get me."

He retorted, "I will, as soon as I convince this policeman I have not stolen your car."

Yep, it's the golden years

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a funny...can you relate?

About 34 years ago, I took a friend to the airport. When I returned to the parking lot....my car was gone. I was frantic. I looked and looked. Finally, I found security and told him my car had been stolen. He said, "Are you sure you went out the correct door?" There were parking lots (identical) on each side of the terminal. Whew! He was right. My car was there. Okay...34 years ago...I can't even blame it on the golden years because I was no where near them yet! (At least the security guy told me that happened all the time...I did feel a little bit better).

o

LOL!!!

o
RE::: a funny...can you relate?

marilyn, don't even count that one. Not your fault, but I can imagine the feeling.
I think I've gotten into the habit of checking the aisle number in the parking lot at Wal-mart!

o

I have my fav. parking spots at all stores I frequent. No prob. finding my car, well, most times. :)

Moni

o

LMAO That's PRICELESS!

o

I can't tell you how many times I have lost my vehicle at Walmart. I finally started parking by one of the return cart things....at least that narrows it down. I usually try to remember to look at the aisle number, and sometimes I forget and I have been in there so long...and I go so often, I come out and I haven't a clue. Sometimes I will hold my hand up in the air and hit that little red panic button to set off the alarm.

o

I think the worst are hospital ramp garages. Floor after identical floor at a time when we're more distracted than usual. Always someone walking around not remembering what level they parked on.

o

That is just too funny.

Several years ago I picked the kids up from school. I did it on my way home from errands and so had the car. We walked home as usual (you can probably see where this is going) and as we turned into the driveway I'm thinking where is the car, it's not in the driveway, somebody stole it! I had completely forgotten that I had the car at the school. I had to sheepishly walk back and get it. My kids teased me about that for the longest time.

o

I think I've posted this before, but......

I live about a block from the post office so walk to get my mail, of course. A couple of years ago, I came from out of town and stopped to get the mail and walked home. In the morning, I needed the car, went to garage and found it empty. Panic, panic....someone had broken in and stolen my car, was my thought, until I looked down the street and saw my car where it had been parked all night...at the post office.

o

My DH went to WM and went in one door and came out the other door and he couldn't find the car. He had dropped me off at the door and I had to come out and find the car because I remembered which door we went in. One day I was at Big Lots with my sisters car and I noticed there was a car exactly like hers parked beside me. I came out and I couldn't get her keys to work in the car. My husband picked her up to get another set of keys and when she got there she said it wasn't her car. Yep I tried the wrong car. Twice I have gotten into the wrong car. Boy did I feel stupid.

o
RE: a funny...can you relate???

These are funnier than the joke!

o

Marilyn, we had the same thing happened to us at the airport in Atlanta. Wayne was picking me up and he forgot which side he parked on.

o

Your story reminded me of a real case that happened here severl years ago. A man drove to Walmart to pick up snacks for an afternoon of football viewing. When he came out of the store, he did not see his car and soon convinced himself that it had been stolen. He called the police on his cell phone. Just as the police arrived, he remmembered that he owned TWO vehicles. and then, he spied his car. He had driven the other car! Embarrased, he tried to explain to the policemen, but was staggering and had slurred speech. He failed a sobriety test and now the police had just cause to search his car. Yep. They found an open container of booze in front and drug devices and drugs in the glove box.

He was in a peck of trouble. Best of all, he had called the police himself. There was suppressed merriment at the station house while he was booked.

o

You guys make me feel less stupid. I went to the gym last spring and forgot I came in the back door which is locked after seven. But you can still leave, just not enter. I, of course ,went out the front door and walked up and down the aisles for 20 minutes looking for my car. Then a lightbulb went off just as I was going to call the police. I felt like an idiot.

o

About 5 years ago, I drove my daughter to the nearest mall to buy a winter coat. Parked in a handicap spot, she went to coat dept while I looked at linens. I got tired and went out to sit in the car and wait for her. Went out, the handicap spot was empty and my car was totally gone,gone,gone. But my key was in my pocket. Someone must have smashed a window and got it started. Ran to customer service, who let me call police. Then daughter ran up to me, what's wrong. I told her our car had been stolen, and she laughed "But we parked on the other side! Yup, was I embarassed calling the police back. Daughter still thinks I have Early Onset Alzheimers.

o

One time I drove to work in the city instead of taking the train as usual. Yep -- got on the train to come home and got off at my usual station. No car. That's when I slapped myself on the head and remembered my car was still downtown. I got on an inbound train, got my car and drove home. Duh.

o

Years ago before the big box stores hit the area we had a hardware store that was a long long building. I guess they must have kept adding on in a straight line with several doors. I parked my red Tarsus and went in, walked around and exited out a door. There sat my Tarsus, I got in and looked around, the floor and seats were covered in trash. How did all that get in my car?? Realized my car was sitting down at the next door. Didn't take me long to jump out of that Tarsus.

o

These posts are making me feel so much better. I've never gone as far as calling the police....yet.
(even on myself!--LOL)
That would be a head slapper too, to have to go back on the train, to get the car.

Thanks for the storys. Funny but sad.

o

These "confessions" are great (and funny!) Thanks, y'all, for posting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here