Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought peanut butter and I didn't like it!

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 12:11

WHAT???? YES!! Peter Pan Honey Roasted Peanut Butter

The flavor of peanut butter was masked by the "honey roasted" taste. I don't care for it.

I'll take regular or crunchy from now own.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought peanut butter and I didn't like it!

Bought peanut butter and I didn't like it!

funny

o
RE: Bought pennnanut butter and I didn't like it!

tee hee!

Just didn't taste the same as I generally
eat it by the spoonful and really enjoy the peanutty flavor.

I do enjoy peanut butter cookies, but gotta be chewy! And love love love Golden Corral's peanut butter pie.

Don't know when I've eaten a pb sandwich.

o

Since I am not a peanut butter person. sorry you were disappointed, but the only brand I use is Jiff and very little of that. I do like PB and honey on toast occasionally. And PB cookies. Curious, who makes Peter Pan and could you let them know how you feel?

o

I'd love to find a peanut butter that is low in sugar. I don't mean that the sugar would be replaced with aspertame or splenda or something .... I just don't want the peanut butter so sweet.

I most recently had Jif and it was only barely passable. I want a peanut taste, not a sugar with some peanut flavor in it taste.

o

My reaction to the title of this thread was similar to chemocurls. LOL

(I too like peanut butter pie but only a small amount as what I've had was very rich.)

Shirley

o

I like the Jiff crunchy. Never seen the honey roasted type must be new. I too am a peanut butter purist lol.
I don't use it very often but I like some when I eat an apple and an occasional sandwich.
I was at costco recently and remembered the last time I had opened the jar it was almost empty so I bought some it comes with 2 of the bigger size jars in a package. Got home and found I still had one full jar of that size from the last time I had bought it at Costco! I am well set on peanut butter!
I need to put one of them out in the RV.

o

Much to my sadness, I can no longer eat peanuts or their products. Unless I want to spend a couple of days in the bathroom, that is.

o

LOL and that's where that notebook with everything written down comes in handy for home and on the road........one trip I ended up with three jars, all different brands and sizes in the rv (now summer home) and if you don't use it you lose it FAST with peanut butter. That stuff goes rancid so quickly it is almost better to pay more and get a little jar as to buy big and toss it before eating or baking with it. I like Skippy but most brands will do, but does anyone remember the peanut butter and jelly mixture that used to come in a glass I am thinking Smucker's but maybe Goober?

o

That's why I like it straight from the jar on a spoon so I can enjoy the peanut butter taste.

o

I like Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter. This is copied from the label.

Hmmmm.... for some reason won't let me copy.

This is what the ING. List says

Ingredients:
Peanuts
Contains less than 1% of Salt.

It is the same label for Creamy or Chunky.

And, of course, any fresh ground Peanut Butter from the supermarket won't have any sugar, either. The kind they usually have over in the cheese case.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this trend, but.. you really have to pay attention to the labels...there is Peanut Butter and there is Peanut Butter SPREAD. In fact, I'm seeing the PB SPREAD getting more of the shelf space than the Peanut Butter.

Anyway, Smickers All Natural, Chunky or Creamy is good! I, too, love Peanut Butter... can and often do, eat it straight from the jar with a spoon!
E

o

Glenda I'm shocked!

But I understand.

The only kind I buy is Peter Pan. HATE it if they are out, I will buy a jar to get me by but PeterPan is the best.

I bought the "whipped" Peter Pan. I didn't like it very well. I ate it but thought I won't buy this again.

Now this morning I went out to get a new jar of PB and saw "Crunchy" on the front. Oh nooooooooo. I'm not fond of crunchy. Love the smooth. I can't believe I didn't notice it when I bought it. Grrrrrrrr

o

ThreeJ's they still make the pbutter and jelly mix, I see it at my store. We only buy Skippy DH eats a PBJ sandwich every night. My 4 year old DGD is a picky eater, if she wants nothing else she will eat pbutter on a spoon, 2-3 of them. I have been having almond butter lately it is a bit gritty but I like it~

o

they still make that swirled mixture of peanut butter and jelly I see it all the time at the store most of it seems to be with grape jelly.

Humm here is some info on peanut butter and the best options for keeping it.

Freezing is Possible

Freezing of peanut butter is possible to extend the shelf life, provided that the container is sealed air tight. Because of the oils in peanut butter, the shelf life of the product naturally is quite long when stored at room temperature and freezing is generally not recommended.
Oil Will Separate

The primary concern with freezing peanut butter is that the oil will separate when thawed. Although the appearance and texture of the peanut butter will be affected by this separation, the product is still safe to eat.
Storage at Room Temperature

Peanut butter may be stored for extended periods of time at room temperature without any harm befalling the product. Most products will remain viable for at least a year if stored at room temperature. According to Peter Pan Peanut Butter, the shelf-life of its product is 18 months.
Refrigerate Rather Than Freeze

For locations where the room temperature will be warm, it is recommended that peanut butter be refrigerated. Refrigeration will also maintain the flavor of the product. However, refrigerated peanut butter will be more difficult to spread.

Jif Peanut Butter's web site recommends that any of its product that is not eaten within the first three month's of opening, should be refrigerated to retain the best flavor. Neither Jif nor Peter Pan recommend freezing peanut butter.
Keep Tightly Sealed

Exposure to air and heat will have a negative impact on peanut butter. For that reason it is best to keep the container tightly sealed.

Read more: Can You Freeze Peanut Butter? : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5776094_can-freeze-peanut-butter_.html#ixzz29glThtQd

or just make peanut butter fudge and freeze that.
Storing & Freezing Homemade Fudge

o

I've put pb in the freeze just to make it harder for me to spoon it out of the container.

Plus I've stored it in the refrigerator as well.

Just saw a commercial for Jiff Chocolate Hazelnut spread.

Looked good.

o

Laura Scudder's old fashioned peanut butter for me!

o

The only peanut butter I like is Smucker's Natural. The other brands such as Skippy, Peter Pan, etc. are way to sweet for me.
Lois

o

We're Kraft peanut butter people here. I like the Smuckers Raspberry jam and marmalade so maybe I'll try their peanut butter.

o

o

Glenda, I had the same reaction as Chemocurl. Thanks for the heads up--if you didn't like it I for sure won't be trying it.

o

Must be something wrong with me- I bought Skippy Roasted Honey Nut PB and I like it!

o

Well, it's all gone, so I musta liked it better than I thought. Did put some in my oatmeal last night.

But I still prefer plain peanut butter.

o

Susique, no sugar in the Smuchers Natural PB. We buy it for Mom. You ahve to stir it good the first time you use it, then refrigerate it. It doesn't usually seperate after that. If she has an English muffin with Smucker's Natural PB before bed, it keeps her stabilzed until morning with her diabetes.

Yes, Smucker's also makes that PB & J swirled stuff! Smuckers home office is about and hour and a half south east of me.

I no longer eat PB. I am a very pickey eater, and very seldom ate school lunches. I don't care much for lunch meat, and didn't eat it at all at that age. So I had PB & J every single day almost, from 1st grade to 12th grade! I did get better at eating more selection after that. Now, I can barely stand the smell long enough to make DH or the kids a sandwich with it.

Tami

o

That's interesting information about freezing. I don't eat PB, but I usually have a jar on hand for my father. I'm always having to throw it out because it gets rancid. Maybe I'll try freezing it next time or at least keeping it refrigerated.

o

Honey Roasted Peanut Butter is my totally favorite...been eating it for years, but the trouble is, I will eat, eat, and eat it until I nearly founder.. by the spoonful, on home made english muffins, toast, and in pb sandwiches.. with and without sliced bananas.... OMG.. I LOVE it, but buy it only about once a year since I am a piggy about it.. lol

Carolyn

o

I've got some of that and I DO Like it!

o

I am bad about pb.

When I get the pb craving, I buy me the small jar, and it's gone within two days :o(

o

You might want to do a google on the recent(this month) PB recall vIf I remember right Jif wasn't on it

o

I prefer Jif in the large jar. I put it on a toasted frozen waffle for a breakfast treat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here