SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Doctor's Question Saves My Friend

chisue
11 years ago

I decided to post this after reading about some exploited child called "Honey" and comments about labeling her. Sometimes it helps to be blunt. (I appreciate that the child IS a child, and my story is about a young woman.)

My childhood friend had been overweight all her life. She'd tried 'diets'. She'd seen this doctor and that one -- no help until...

A new MD had performed a physical and asked her to come into his office. Without preamble he said, "My dear, WHY are you so FAT?"

Her first reaction was shock, then anger, then sadness. I'm sure he read all of these emotions on her face, but before she could say anything, he told her that together they were going to fing her 'why'.

I won't go into her psychological reason for over-eating, but she did discover it, understand it, and was able to rescue the 'hungry' child within. She's been a normal weight ever since.

If you are fat, you know it. Other people know it. Using 'cute' words instead of "fat" doesn't change anything and may do harm. Being fat is almost never due to anything other than over-eating and under-exercising. So, (my dears), you might consider why YOU would prefer to be fat instead of confronting your personal WHY.

(End of preaching.)

Comments (38)