SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

I find myself in an interesting position (long)

kittiemom
10 years ago

Several months ago, I ran into the CEO from the company where I used to work. We chatted for a while & he told me I should be expecting to hear from my former supervisor. I asked him for details, but he just said some things were changing at the company & he couldn't discuss until they were finalized but they would be in touch. I didn't hear from them for a long time, so I just thought that the changes didn't work out like they were expecting. Earlier, this week, I got an email from my former supervisor (for simplicity, I'll call her Janet). She said that she wanted to discuss some things with me & asked if I'd meet & talk with her. Last night we had dinner.

It turns out that the company has experienced tremendous growth since I left. She is moving into a regional role with the company and they are basically looking for someone to fill most of the responsibilities of her current position, which has expanded since I was there. She will keep some of these responsibilities because of the way they're structuring everything.

I joined the company when it was a start-up. It is a high-stress environment. I knew that when I joined since I came from another company in the same industry. Turnover is extremely high in the industry & at that company. After working there for two years, I was offered a much less stressful job in a different segment of the same industry.

Janet asked me last night what salary I was wiling to accept to go back. I didn't name a figure because I'm not sure. I wanted to talk with her about the job, the responsibilities involved, the people who are still there, etc. I also wanted to know about some who have left, either by choice or by being let go, & some of the reasons.

Having worked there before, I know that some of the personalities can clash with mine, but that's the case with every job. I would be reporting to the CEO, who I always liked. I also enjoyed working for Janet & don't doubt that I'd like working with her again. Janet has discussed this with the company president & one of the VP's as well & apparently all of them & the CEO want here to offer me the job. I've worked with all of them & had no particular issues with them. It is, though, a high stress & extremely demanding environment. I always felt a bit shaky about funding for this area because it comes from the state & they've made a lot of changes to this over the last few years.

I've been at my current company for over two years & am very happy. They've been wonderful to me & I'm grateful. I am curious to see what my former company will offer me to go back. I have a feeling that it will be enough that I can't ignore it. I know that my current company wants me to stay & would make a counter offer. But we are more structured & have salary ranges for each position. They aren't able to just offer me a salary outside the range for my position even if they want to. We are also under a lot of budget constraints this year.

So I find myself in an interesting position. My heart is where I work now. I love the company & enjoy working there & what I do. I would be doing some very similar things if I change jobs, but the instability & stress weigh on me. I wasn't unhappy in that job as much as feeling unstable & frustrated. There is always some stress at any job, but I know the stress of that industry well, having worked in in for a total of seven years. I don't want to change because of a raise, but I have a feeling that it will be significant enough that I can't ignore that aspect of it.

DH says that while we can always use more income, that my happiness is very important too.

Any words of wisdom? I appreciate any advice. My head is spinning right now.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource