Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have an infrared heater?

Posted by kathsgrdn (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 11:37

I'm going to buy something for the back bedroom. It's freezing cold back there all the time. I bought a heated mattress pad the other day but I hate getting up out of bed into an ice cold room. There was an advertisement in the local paper for infrared heaters and wondering if they're any good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have an infrared heater?

We have one and love it..

o

We had one about 15 years ago and it wasn't worth the money.

o

Have you had it long, Susie?

o

A couple years. It does well for us. We also have had one of the ones that looks like the old time radiators and we like it, too. Two of our kids have had them for several years and they like them, too.

o

We have 2 and love them both!

A Comfort Zone and a Dura Flame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comfort Zone

o

I'm not familiar with infrared, but I use portable electric oil-filled radiators in my unheated bedrooms. They're silent, have thermostats and a choice of wattages, and do a great job. I paid under $50 apiece for them a few years ago.

o

We have one of those radiators too. Used it before the infrared. They work pretty good! We set a small fan behind the radiator on low to blow the heat out.

o

Use one occasionally, most important benefit is the safety e.g. compared to other ceramic heaters the outside of this one stays cool.

The energy consumption will be the same as any other heater with similar wattage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Infrared Heater DR-968

o

We had one for mom when she lived in her house, we wanted something safe including carbon monoxide safe, keep in mind some of those other types of portable heaters available can produce carbon monoxide. Years ago we had one of the portable ones that would set off the alarms, it went to the dump.
I would definitely check online reviews for any you are considering because there are some with really horrible reviews that I would stay away from.
Also be aware of the fact that they draw a lot of electricity to run and in some cases the plug and outlet can get very hot which can be dangerous.
Do your homework and check the various types and real reviews by owners.

o

You are going to love your electric mattress pad. Turn it on high about 15 minutes before getting in bed. Be sure to turn it down once you get in bed. I forgot one night and woke up a couple of hours later all sweaty.

o

I have 2 of the duraflame heaters... have had them for about 5 years. We have been very happy with them. We have one in our bedroom, and one in the living room.
We have gas furnace, but have been able to turn the therostat lower, and use these heaters to just take off the chill in the room. We turn the one on in the living room when we are in the room, watching T.V. , or reading in the evenings, then a few mins. before bed time, I turn the one in our bedroom on. and of course the one in the living room is off for the night.
We have had no issues with them at all... it is important that you clean the filter, but that is simple.

o

Just to add... the duraflame use very little electricity...

o

We have one on each of the lower three levels of the house. It really breaks the chill in the winter. We only have pellet heat and we're getting to old to haul a ton of pellets down two flights of stairs each month any more. And pellets were getting way more expensive than running those three electric heaters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here