Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible "nor'easter on steroids" for next week

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 11:37

I hope this is another of those instances where the weather forecasters are going for the dramatic sound bite. Doesn't really sound like it, though.

Possible huge storm for Northeast and Mid-Atlantic next week

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible "nor'easter on steroids" for next week

I sure hope those in that area do not get any bad weather. No one needs it. Stay safe and dry!!
Marie

o

Alisande, I like that weather map. Sandy is a category 2 hurricane right now, which is enough to cause damage to trees and could cause power outages. Here in Florida, we are getting those random gusts of high wind every once in a while. And that's with Sandy still being just north of Cuba! Stay safe KT'ers in the NE!!

o

Well that explains why the supermarket was full of 'older' shoppers this morning. It reminded me of all the panicked shoppers in this area who run out to buy milk, eggs and bread whenever a few inches of snow is predicted.

o

Looks like I will be nearly smack dab in the middle of this mess. Lucky me. The forecasters are calling Frankenstorm. To quote the news -- it's a storm that will go down in the history books. It's actually three storms all converging in one area -- a hurricane, an early winter storm in the West, and a blast of arctic air from the North.

We had a freak snowstorm this time last year, followed by a mild winter, so I hope this means we'll be getting another mild winter.

o

I like the way you think Dedtired. I hate the thoughts of this storm, I'm in NE Pa, but if we have to have it to get another mild winter I'll take it. Not that I have a choice.

o

Here is another link lots of things on side of map

Here is a link that might be useful: National Hurricane Center

o

And there will be a full moon so the tides will be higher too.

o

I'm ashamed, I love hearing of impending severe weather phenomena! Not that I wish it on others, I love the extreme weather right here on top of me. The thunder, lightening, tornado threats! When the sirens start wailing I'm usually out in a one of the fields swooning!!

Of course the comes from someone who has NEVER really experienced a tornado. Proof enough that the good lord has pity on the dumbest among us. :/

Oops, please don't read that as wishing ill fortune on the northeast. Not my meaning all.

o

OnAHolliday, I'm sure the weather forecasters love people like you! LOL They can get so dramatic in their presentations.

I know what you mean, though. I used to find thunderstorms and major snowstorms exciting.....until I had to experience them alone, and be responsible for the house and pets all by myself.....and until the house down the road was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. Plus in recent years the world has had a big increase in severe weather-related phenomena. I find it getting less exciting all the time. :-)

o

alisande I hope what you say is true.

The last Noreaster we had was something I didn't enjoy and don't want to have that experience again.

Some of the neighbors have gotten a bit hardened about these forecast as so many of them were predicted and then fizzled out. I hope this is the case here.

o

My friends are cruising from Boston to Puerto Rico and then flying back to Puerto Rico.

Does not sound good for my friends.

o

I'm so glad I got back from my cruise to the East coast and Canada two weeks ago! I hope this storm dies down.

o

Jim Cantore
I expected to see him all over the weather channel during this Sandy storm has anyone seen him??

o

I'm glad you got back, too, Sleeperblues! I'm worried about friends on the New England coast. I love the ocean, but its power can be fierce. There's often a price to be paid for living near it.

o

I am petrified about this storm which is to come ashore in NJ area. We are in the bulls eye. I would exchange this for a bad winter any day. We have massive trees around our house , are to get 6-10` inches of rain and probably no power with election coming up, It's a total nightmare unless it changes course. The PERFECT storm.

o

well the cold front hit us here in North Houston today it is currently 53 which is quite chilly compared to our high 80 and 90 degree weather we have been having. IT is also gloomy dreary and rainy. I won't be getting out today.

I feel for anyone going through storms of any kind having lived through multiple hurricanes in Louisiana and multiple tornadoes in Oklahoma and Texas I am NOT a fan of storms.

o

That is very scary, Lily. It's hard to imagine 10" of rain in that short period. Best of luck to you. I hope you'll have power and will be able to report in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here