Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salmon Patties .. A craving and a gross confession

Posted by OnAHolliday (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 11:31

Due to my upbringing, baloney w/mayo on white bread remains a bad, if much adored, habit. Worse than baloney though, is my other poverty food craving: salmon patties. I'm sure that gourmet salmon croquettes exist but I'm not talking about that. I'm craving a can of Double Q mixed with a few spices and crusted with crushed saltines.. Mix up the can/spices (bones and all). Carefully mash them into the saltines, making sure they don't fall apart, and fry them up! For me it's sides of biscuits, mac & cheese and green peas... every time. lol

My goodness, I would cringe if someone visited after I made this.. it's such a nasty fried smell. lol NOTHING smells like fried salmon patties...... Me though, I TREASURE IT!

I have to laugh. Jesus would have been proud of mamma as she could take a can of Double Q and feed 10 people if the times were tough! Another thing, off subject, it took a long time for me to figure out why mamma "liked" the neck and back of the chicken...

I know, I know, a meaningless post of ambling thoughts but it's Sunday, we can do that. Right? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salmon Patties .. A craving and a gross confession

I guess I missed your baloney w/mayo post, however I like it that way too but with just a little mustard. Salmon patties, I love too! I DO take the bones out though, add 1 egg and 1 TBSP of flour, do not drain, mix it all up in a bowl, make into patties and fry.

o

I have a can of cheap salmon in the pantry at this very minute! I dress mine up a bit more than you, it sounds, but still very simple and inexpensive (and delicious) food. I like finely chopped onion and celery in my patties, an egg, cracker crumbs, parsley, and dill. Seems like I add a bit of mayo before I stir it all up. A dusting of corn meal before I fry them up gives them a bit of a crunchy crust.

Gotta have creamy cole slaw with mine. And a toasted hamburger bun with romaine and a big ole slab of tomato.

o

Here's my recipe and I always called them salmon croquettes.

Salmon Croquettes
1 can red salmon *I remove the bones
10 soda crackers crushed
2 eggs
Crush crackers - pour salmon and liquid into bowl-add eggs and crackers-combine
Shape into patties, roll in cornmeal-refrigerate until ready to use-roll in cornmeal again and fry until good and brown on both sides. You add about an inch or so of oil to the pan, brown on one side then turn and brown on the other. These are not deep fried.

I make a cheese sauce to serve over mine.

I'm full of bologna, and have it frequently on rye please.

If I walk in Mama Goldbergs, they know exactly what I'm gonna order. In fact I'm going to Mama Goldbergs, today, for you know what.

o

rgizo1.....that's my recipe! ha ha

I add veggies to make it seem more healthy. AND I serve them with heaps of tartar sauce. :0) This happens about twice a year.

I don't eat potato chips, so this is my biannual fried food.

You haven't mentioned peanut butter and banana sandies. ?

o

oh yes my Mother was very crafty at using that Salmon also. I have eaten my share of "croquettes" and enjoyed them.
My Mother also made salmon gumbo! Now that is a way to really stretch it to feed a bunch of hungry Cajuns LOL.

I do believe I have a can of salmon in my pantry too.

I love bologna on very soft fresh white bread with mayo and a bit of mustard, but I really like a fried bologna sandwich better!

And since we are at confession today...
I also like fried spam burgers! with fresh garden tomatoes oh yes!
I definitely have some spam in the pantry and out in the RV too LOL.

Another thing you will find in my pantry is the little bitty cans of Deviled Ham. Great on crackers or a sandwich.

Before I was old enough to remember this, my grandmother on my mothers side, would feed all the kids caramelized onion and garlic sandwiches. There was no meat and no cheese but they had plenty of onions and garlic from the garden.
I was only about 3 when she passed away so I don't remember anything about her. My sisters used to tell how they loved her onion sandwiches.

o

Just crush/mash the bones. You get more calcium that way.
I don't measure. I make mine with salmon, crackers, egg, minced onion and celery, and a little chopped pickle or some capers. I add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a splash of Tabasco. Tuna croquettes are good, too.

o

I love them. We have always called them salmon cakes. I do take out the bones and that black slimy skin stuff, ugh.

I use an egg and crushed up saltines. Form the cake, like a hamburger, dip in more cracker crumbs, fry in a pan with butter.

Love mine with baked beans. DH grew up eating them with creamed corn.

o

My DH can't stand when I fry salmon patties due to the smell but I love them with eggs & flour. Also love fried bologna with a thick slice of cheese.

o

I like salmon patties too, just egg and crackers in mine and then roll the patties in flour before I fry them. Salt and pepper too if needed. Leave the bones in, like someone else said that is good calcium. I do tuna the same way. I like bologna sandwiches too, fried or otherwise.

Sue

o

haha I love salmon patties too and make them frequently and some times make a salmon loaf. Do you use pink or sockeye salmon. I have never eaten pink salmon, so don't know if there is a difference except it is cheaper to buy. In our house we only ate tinned Cloverleaf brand salmon.

I rarely buy or eat deli lunch meat anymore but I often find myself in the deli aisle of the supermarket staring at that package of Blue Ribbon bologna. Nothing better than a friend bologna sandwich on that white sandwich bread with lots of mustard. I even like it unfried but the bread has to be the bread from youth LOL

My Mom wasn't a good cook but she knew how to feed a family of 9 and anyone else who dropped in for dinner.

There is a small cook book or newsletter that was put out by the CAW or UAW in the early 1960's when the workers were on strike for sometimes as long as 6 months. It had some recipes that stretched your dollar and kept your family fed so just about everyone around here grew up eating creamed peas and tuna on toast plus a lot of other creamed veggies like creamed carrots, creamed onions. Sliced cucumbers and onions in sour cream and vinegar, salted cod cooked in milk in the oven which was my favourite meal. Fried liver also was a staple and boy the house reeks worse than any friend aalmon patties after cooking it hahaha

One of my favourite things to eat from childhood is open faced melted cheese on toast melted under the broiler until the cheese bubbles and burns in spots. Except now I use real cheese and not plastic cheese. Except using real cheese you don't get the burnt bits on top, it just continues to melt.

Anne

o

I used to make bologna cups:

Put a slice in the skillet, heat until it curls up and forms a cup.

On top of lettuce, add the cup and fill with potato salad.

o

I would eat that Glenda

o

Cherryfizz - "One of my favourite things to eat from childhood is open faced melted cheese on toast melted under the broiler until the cheese bubbles and burns in spots."

SCREAM!!!! LOL C. Fizz called it "plastic cheese" and I know EXACTLY!!!
I don't have a clue what that "cheese" is made of but I recall peeling away some of the burnt dome of soylent-cheese from my toast to reveal the melted "stuff" underneath. Of course I ate the burnt sh*t too, just by itself. *grin* I will probably die a year sooner than otherwise because of it.

I guess at this point I should raise my fist in defiance and scream "Soylant Cheese Is PEOPLE!!!"
.... or maybe not.

o

Oh, comfort food to the extreme, grilled cheese sandwich. I always put extra cheese in the pan and "brown/burn" it. Not black, just dark brown, and eat it like that. I know, ugh.

Another staple we grew up on, cream of chicken soup on toast. Can of Cr. of ck. with water or milk, warmed up, and poured over toast. Ahhhh, makes me feel all warm and cozy, hahaha.

And Raven, I confess, I love fried Spam on toast with ketchup! What can I say, it's so good.

o

Spam sandwiches is another thing!

Love love love SPAM!

o

Spam? lol How did this get turned into a SPAM thread? Okay, I'm in. Spam, fried or (raw?) count me in. Spam n' Grits!

o

I don't eat meat anymore (besides seafood), but there's a faux-sandwich meat that is a fake "bologna" and it tastes exactly like real bologna and I LOVE it. I miss good old cheapo bologna sammies from my childhood. I agree, on cheap white bread, which I never buy, and "plastic" cheese, and mayo. YUM!

My local bar down the street makes grilled cheese sandwiches with plastic cheese and they are really good, although I try not to make it a habit.

No way jose on the canned salmon. Blech. I love salmon but I don't even like fancy salmon patties, I like my salmon still in fillet form. :)

o

Bologna sandwiches, fried or not, on white bread with mustard, salmon patties, fried Spam sandwiches,creamed tuna on toast, AND burnt cheese slices on toast...also cream cheese and olive sandwiches...all things I still love from my childhood.

o

From RavenCajun,.......I love bologna on very soft fresh white bread with mayo and a bit of mustard, but I really like a fried bologna sandwich better!

And since we are at confession today...
I also like fried spam burgers! with fresh garden tomatoes oh yes!
I definitely have some spam in the pantry and out in the RV too LOL.

Boy I could have written that myself...we carry it in the RV for emergency....sandwiches, or a breakfast meat...

I love salmon patties and make them often...I have gotten so "above" my roots that I actually use salmon that I cooked for a meal...I just cook extra so I can make salmon patties...my favorite salmon for patties is frozen blackened salmon from Sam's club.

It's a southern thang......

o

OAH, looks like a lot of us have the same great memories. Your post really hit home when you said you finally figured out why your mother "preferred" the back and neck. Mine did the same thing. Mother could get 11 pieces of chicken out of one chicken. Harry cuts them up that way, too. Geez, I sure miss her chicken.

We'd have salmon patties on Fridays, since we couldn't eat meat back then. We always had mashed potatoes and creamed peas with ours. She mashed up bones and all, too.

I betcha' a lot of us are planning on salmon patties in the very near future! So thanks for the reminder.

We ate bologna sandwiches, too, but we only had Miracle Whip at our house. It really was sinful--butter on one slice of bread and MW on the other. :-)

o

Gosh you all are making me so hungry. My Mom was a great cook, but I really don't remember her fixing Salmon Cakes very often. My husband and I both love salmon and also tuna cakes. I drain my canned salmon and use the bones but remove the dark slimy stuff. Then I add a couple dashes of lemon juice, about 1/2 sleeve of crushed saltine crackers, a dash of hot sauce, garlic powder, parsley and an egg. I form the "cakes" and roll in Panko and fry. I love these so much that I really don't care for fresh salmon.

o

I gag when I make them for my husband about once every 5 years...to me it would be like eating a can of catfood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here