SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pianolady2008

psoriasis & haircoloring ?

pianolady2008
9 years ago

Anybody here color their hair when they have scalp psoriasis? My dermatologist told me it may clear the psoriasis up somewhat. She also told me it may burn my scalp a little but it wouldn't cause the psoriasis to get worse.

Comments (8)

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

I do it all the time. It may burn a little, but nothing terrible.

Does your dermatologist have you using anything? I tried a few different things, but here is what works the BEST!

clobetasol propionate topical solution 0.05% It's not greasy (like Talconex) and I only use it once or twice a week and it keeps the flaking and itching totally under control! Best of all, it's cheap. Talconex is over $800 a bottle now - insurance covered it at 50%. I wouldn't have even had it except that the manufacturer was offering rebates on the co-pay.

• pianolady2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Juellie. I use Kenalog Spray. I'm gonna go ahead and color my hair since you don't have problems. : )

• cookie8
    9 years ago

I used to have psoriasis on my scalp and coloured my hair all the time when I was very young. LOL, now that I don't have it I don't colour my hair at all. Oh yeah, sometimes it burned a bit but I did it anyways.

• User
    9 years ago

I had this several years ago.. I think it was hormonal. Anyway, my dermatologist told me absolutely no hair coloring or permanents until it was gone. I don't do permanents anyway and haven't colored my hair for over 12 years even though I no longer have it. It just isn't worth the risk to me. I sure don't want to deal with that again.I still use a therapeutic shampoo occasionally, just in case. :(

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I don't have psoriasis nor do I color my hair, so my question is simply out of curiosity (and ignorance). Wouldn't the treatments and/or medicated shampoos mess with the hair coloring? I thought that you had to be careful about that kind of thing or weird things would happen to the color.

Or is that just hype from expensive shamoo commercials?

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

Missy May - I was not aware that psoriasis "goes away". It is an autoimmune disease. Are you sure that's what it was?
    Rhizo - no problems with me. I don't use medicated shampoos or any other treatments than this stuff I squirt on my scalp once a week. Hasn't effected the color so far!

• User
    9 years ago

Juellie, Oh, you are probably so right about that. It's been so long I had forgotten. What I had was a form of dermatitis. I was told it is of the psoriasis family. Around that same time I had stopped HRT abruptly. The doctor said it could have been the sudden withdrawal from that ...possibly.
    I was also taking a medicine at the time that I later learned could cause a rash on the scalp. Anyway, it did go away, hopefully I never get it again.

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

Yes, hopefully so. For me, it's not painful or anything, just unsightly when it's all flaky. But I do have a friend who has it and it gets very painful when it flares up.

My poor little grandson has it and he's only two. probably will have it much worse than I. :(