Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do bugs never bother with lettuce?

Posted by OnAHolliday (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 11:22

I've just returned from picking a few varieties of lettuce for dinner tonight and, again, not a problem. I have never had a problem with pests bothering my lettuce. All I can think is that the cooler season puts lettuce out of range of what would normally be around to feast on it? Still, it seems to me that something would show up. Maybe I should knock on wood and simply be happy about it.

On another note. Is it my imagination or does lettuce picked on chilly mornings and wet from the dew taste better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do bugs never bother with lettuce?

This year for the first time my small lettuce crop (romaine and leaf lettuce) was destroyed by little caterpillars. I looked them up at the time, but I don't remember the name. My son's large lettuce crop (same varieties) a couple of hundred feet away was not affected. So cross your fingers for next year. :-)

o

I will alisande. I also grow romaine (red and green). I also grow bibb and black seeded simpson. That may sound like a lot but it's only four double rowed beds about 15 feet long.

Maybe they were cabbage loopers? I think that's the official name for them? I had those on my collards one year.

o

We tried lettuce again this year--was bitter and cool summer and now with several killing frost and bit of snow, no garden. We did have good luck 2 years ago. Just a off year for lots this year.

o

Geez, sorry marie. I spend so much time in the garden it would be rough to lose a season. I admit that the season is dang long in Georgia so the odds of that are about nil. I hope you fare better next spring. :)

o

Something is munching on our basil. :-(

o

Check for snails and slugs - they love green leaves of any type. After many years of gardening, I'm still trying to discover the use GOD intended when he gave us snails and slugs!

o

Escargot? *wink*

o

The best tasting lettuce is new, young leaves. The taste of older leaves shift toward bitter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here