Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you have an ice-crushing machine (or 'shaver') ...

Posted by pammyfay (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 11:12

My blender is just not cutting it anymore, and it's starting to leak at the base (despite me taking it apart, cleaning it, changing the rubber thingie and tightening everything up).

I like to crush ice in it --it has an ice-crusher button -- and add either fresh-squeezed lemon or lime juice to make a slurpee-kind of thing (tho not as thick -- more like snow-cone consistency).

I'm seeing the "Hawaiian ice"-type "shavers" on the Amazon site and am wondering about those -- do you have one? Opinions on any of them?

Not sure I want to buy another blender, because I don't do anything with it except the icy drinks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you have an ice-crushing machine (or 'shaver') ...

Ninja all the way!!!

�Crush ice into snow in seconds
�Blend frozen fruits into creamy smoothies
�Chop fresh ingredients evenly - no more mush
�New more powerful & 2X faster

I am on my second one but the first was used basically every day for the first year. I have the set of three bases each is handy for certain jobs. When it came on sale a few months ago I bought the second set as a gift, but ended up using it actually just last month so the first was almost three years old, I could and still might look into getting it repaired as it was only a small plastic looking piece that held the blade that got worn out.

o

I have a couple of blenders but seldom use them. The only ice crusher I have is on my refrigerator/freezer door.

Sue

o

I have a small one (maybe a rival?)--it's still packed away, from the move. It's electric, just an ice crusher, does nothing else and was very inexpensive. You drop one cube at a time in through the top, the crushed ice comes out the bottom. Have had it for maybe 20 years, it does a great job, and still works fine.

If you only use the blender for crushing ice, maybe you would do better to buy an ice crusher instead. Did do a quick search and didn't see one exactly like mine, but as I said, it's very old. I would think you want an electric one--those hand crank things take a lot of effort.

o

I have the small handcrank version which works fine, but you can only use ice frozen in the specific shape and size that it allows so I don't use it very much. I've been using my blender with the ice crusher button, but I can smell the motor burning when I crush ice so I don't know how long it will work. I have a friend who bought a commercial ice shaver on line. The thing is huge, but you can make real shave ice with it. They only set it up for parties.

o

That looks great for a summer birthday present for my son or DIL. They live in an un air conditioned apartment and without enough windows to give a good cross ventilation. Something to help them keep cool in Santa Anna hot conditions.

o

I use a 17" screen laptop and ThreeJs' Ninja looks like a giant finger! LOL...

o

That is funny because I got that picture on line from one of the stores that sold the unit and it was very tiny smaller than a postage stamp. Now I have to go to the kitchen and make a pumpkin pie blizzard. I shouldn't have watched the video below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ninja demo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here