Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there any free ones?

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 10:44

I got a call on my cell phone last night after midnight, it scared me. Then I found a message after I answered tghe phone, with what sounds like my name and that was it, very weird sounding too. I have the number and tried looking it up but everywhere charges you to get the information.

Have you had any luck finding a persons name from a phone number? What site will give it free?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there any free ones?

It's just garbage, don't let it bother you. If it's a real person, he will be back in touch. It's either a wrong number or a sales/scam call.

o
RE: Is there any free ones?..

But it was so creepy the way they just said my name! plus being so late at night.

o

Joann is your name on your message?? Mine says Hi you have reached Littlebit..sorry i cant get to the phone etc....could be someone just messing around

o

OMG, joanfla. I got a call like that last night too! but not at midnight it was probably around 9:30p or 10p. This is too weird. It went to my answering machine because most of the time I screen my calls. It was some weird noises and what sounded like garbled speech,then "swishing" sounds. At the time I thought perhaps someone had accidently "butt dialed" their cell phone and the noises were coming from their pocket. I did a Star 69 and got a number I did not recognize so googled it. It only gave me the name of a city in my state with that area code. I listened to the message two more times and then deleted it. You are right, it sure was spooky. Maybe that's what it was intended to be, just a Halloween joke.

o

I just google the number and usually find that it is some number that has called hundreds of other people too and often times somewhere in the list of other people that are looking for info someone will post something about where it is coming from. I never pay anything just put the number into google and hit search.

o

I got no information from google, just the site then it asks for $$.

Yes I do have my name on my phone message, I should take it off I guess.

o

I use whitepagesdotcom. You can click "reverse lookup" or something like that and it's free. Sometimes it helps. It usually also gives what area that # comes from.

o

I just went to whitepages.com its not free, nor have I found any that are. Times have changed.

o

I too am annoyed over weird phone calls especially at night. Maybe change your message would be helpful. I don't like leaving my name at all, and many of my friends use the message that comes with either the phone company or the cell phone --that is Please leave your name and phone number and I will get back to you.
When I get a message like that, I will not leave my phone #, just my name, and a generic message.

o

Try anywho.com. It is free but it doesn't do cell phone numbers.

~~Elaine~~

o

When I get a call from a number I do not recognize, I go to "whocalledus" to see if anyone else has received calls from that number. Usually it is a scam of some sort

Here is a link that might be useful: whocalledus

o

I had a call a week or so ago, at 3 AM local time. The caller said good morning in German.

Without my glasses on, I could not read the number. I emailed my sister about it the next morning, and it turned out, she pushed the wrong speed dial button on her phone. Phoey, I wish, we had talked, instead of her hanging up. I was awake for quite a while.

Moni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here