SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Book of the Week

stacey_mb
9 years ago

The essential Calvin and Hobbes : a Calvin and Hobbes Treasury / Bill Watterson.

I love Calvin and Hobbes! It's one of my favorite comic strips, with others I enjoy being For Better or For Worse and Baby Blues. The Calvin and Hobbes strips have the genius of being entertaining to both children and adults with different aspects being appreciated by different age groups. From Wikipedia: "Furthermore, he [Bill Watterson] opined that art should not be judged by the medium for which it is created (i.e., there is no "high" art or "low" art - just art)."

As the comic became popular, Bill Watterson came under a tremendous amount of pressure from his publishers to merchandise the Calvin and Hobbes images, such as on coffee cups and t-shirts. He absolutely refused and had a huge struggle with the publisher over this issue, even though I'm sure he would have made a great deal of money from such a deal.

My 11 year old granddaughters have been enjoying the cartoons for several years now and sometimes tell me of their favorite Calvin and Hobbes antics. They quickly figured out why Hobbes is sometimes a stuffed tiger and sometimes is real! They chose this particular volume for me when I mentioned that I was going to feature one of the books in my weekly book talk.

The comic strip ran from 1985 to 1995. Bill Watterson ceased writing it when he felt that he had nothing more to contribute to the format. The last strip ran on December 31, 1995.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - Bill Watterson

Comments (3)