SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

"Dude, cameras are on the way out."

alisande
11 years ago

Heard this from a multi-tattooed teenageer yesterday, talking to his friend.

"Dude," he said, "cameras are on the way out. Everyone's got a phone."

Yeah, they do. I see people--including some in my own family--snapping pictures with their phones all the time. In fact, I've noticed some people seem much more comfortable having their pictures taken with phones. They don't even notice it. But when my camera appears, they start objecting.

I don't think cameras are on the way out, though. Maybe it's because I hang out on photography forums, but I'm certain cameras are here to stay. If they're not, I guess I'll have to learn how to take a picture with my phone. So far I haven't been tempted to try.

How about you? Got a camera?

Comments (33)

• bigack
    11 years ago

Yep, have 2 cameras, but wishing I had a phone that takes pics!!! So handy.

• iowagirl2006
    11 years ago

Got a camera, got a phone... I use both.

But if you are not "in to photography"... - I am seeing a lot more people go to their phones for cameras. The quality has improved so much. Why carry a separate camera, if your phone will take a decent picture.

I do see a HUGE contingent of the Mammarazzi with the big DSLR and zoom lenses (guilty!) at all school events though.

• gardenspice
    11 years ago

Yes and I use both. In the same vein, someone recently made me feel very unhip by exclaiming "I don't know anyone who wears a watch anymore!"

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Have an underwater camera
    Regular camera
    Digital camera

Haven't used any of them for years. Phone takes great pics!

• liz
    11 years ago

hubster just gifted me with a Nikon D3200 last week...I'll never be without a good camera!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

In the same vein, someone recently made me feel very unhip by exclaiming "I don't know anyone who wears a watch anymore!"
    Were they looking down at and interacting with their phone when they said that? I think there must be some people that have their phone in their hand almost all their waking hours...you know the sort...Walking blindly through a crowd staring at their phone, and not watching where they are going at all.
    Yesterday a jaywalker blindly crossed 4 lanes of traffic on a rather busy street, never seeming to look up to see that there was oncoming traffic. grrrrr......

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

The world sees so much via phones and maybe more than we need to see, especially with the words don't quite match what is really going on.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

" Why carry a separate camera, if your phone will take a decent picture. "

Exactly!

And why wear a watch when you can check the phone just as easily?

• nycefarm_gw
    11 years ago

Most phones do NOT take a decent picture, however I may have a higher standard than most as it is my profession...

• alisande
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why carry a separate camera, if your phone will take a decent picture.

It depends on your definition of decent, I guess. I'm with Nycefarm on this one.

But I realize not everyone has the same goal in mind when taking a picture. Not everyone is going to look at it with a critical eye . . . not everyone is interested in post-processing . . . not everyone wants to have the option of blowing it up to 16x20 . . . and on and on.

• Lindsey_CA
    11 years ago

"And why wear a watch when you can check the phone just as easily?"

Because if you're in a meeting or stuck talking to someone from whom you wish to get away, it's much, much easier to sneak a peak at your watch on your wrist than it is to pull out your cell phone and take a look at it.

Unless, of course, you're one of those folks who can't take a breath without having your phone in your hand in front of you.

• nicole__
    11 years ago

Unless you can't use the online editors....:0) A phone would be enough.

No I don't own a cell phone(they cost the smae as a land line). Yes I own a camera or 3, but 2 were free gifts....ie: opening a bank account,; using points on my credit card.

I agree with "The dude". :0)

• M.compton
    11 years ago

Not thinking beyond his own little world.

Obviously hasn't considered the world of fashion, product, science, medical, nature and wedding photography, among others.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Am I the other one that envision this guy wearing droopy jeans with the crotch hanging about to his knees and several inches of his underwear showing?

Sue...who would rather twist my arm over to view my watch than look for and pick-up and glance at a phone for the time.

• Lizzann_Ar
    11 years ago

I have both and use both, I agree with M.compton.

• alisande
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, good point, M.compton. And Chemocurl, your description isn't far off. :-)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"Unless, of course, you're one of those folks who can't take a breath without having your phone in your hand in front of you."

No, I am not.
    No reason to even think that I am!

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

I was surprised at the photo quality from today's cell phones. My Canon camera is 4 years old and it's certainly not a high tech model. But when I went on vacation last year and stopped to buy a new photo card the salesman commented that my cell phone would take better photos than my camera. I thought he was just trying to sell me a new camera but then I had other knowledgeable people tell me the same thing.

I think the big difference is if you merely want to 'point and shoot' then the camera on a newer phone is probably sufficient - and at the very least you'll probably always have it with you. However I still like using my camera, I just need to replace it and the newer ones are better and smaller.

Over and Out, Dude.

• bob_cville
    11 years ago

"Why carry a separate camera, if your phone will take a decent picture."

my philosophy has always been:
    "Why bother taking a picture at all, if it just going to be a crappy one."

Yes the cameras in phones are getting better. And the picture the phones take now may well be better than the crappy digital camera they used in the past, and much better then the fixed-focus, point-and-shoot, film camera they might have used even further in the past.

But if the best they can do with a phone is a poorly composed, poorly exposed, poorly focused, grainy, blurry snapshot -- why even bother?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

So true Bob... it is odd how those same crummy photos all end up being uploaded to Facebook.
    Edit and delete, people!

I prefer my Canon EOS with interchangeable lenses. And I delete the photos that are not up to snuff.

• alisande
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think Instagram is responsible for so many sub-par photos on FB. I hope Instagram is on the way out.

But I agree....so many people seem to resist deleting. One guy on a DPReview forum proudly directed people to his 3,500 pictures taken with his new camera. Many were so similar they looked like duplicates. How many straight-on images of a flower shot in bright sunlight should anyone keep?? The unfortunate thing is if you do a Flickr search on this camera you come up with his pictures and those from a couple of others who way overdid it.

Yes, edit and delete!

• lydia1959
    11 years ago

I took some pictures for my DD's friend a couple weeks ago with her new iPhone and was amazed at how good the pictures looked. It felt awkward though and I felt like I didn't have a good grip on the phone while taking the photos. Doesn't make me want a fancy phone though... I'll keep my old basic phone and have a separate camera for now.

• M.compton
    11 years ago

"How many straight-on images of a flower shot in bright sunlight should anyone keep??"

NONE...and the same goes for sunsets. :)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I have just joined the digital camera age. Up until a month ago I used a film camera so cameras had better not be on the way out. Oh, and I don't own a cell phone. (I don;t own one for self-preservation as I don;t want DH or DS's calling me when I'm out and about - when are you coming home, I need the car, what's for dinner, can you pick up this....blah,blah,blah....)

I'm taking a photography course to learn how to download and edit pics on the computer, learning how to use the camera is easy but the computer part leaves me a little baffled. Anyway, our teacher said that iphone5's take surprisingly good pictures. He also said that the best camera is the one you have with you and the one that most people always have with them is their cellphone. My kids take alot of pics of their friends, their hikes, funny little moments and all because they have their cell phones with them.

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

I got two film cameras and one digital. I have an old Digital Nikon 950 that is not in use any more. It was a battery eater.

• joann23456
    11 years ago

I have a camera, but rarely use it. I'm not into photography, and my phone works fine for me.

• Toni S
    11 years ago

I love random pics! Although I've been known to carry around my big camera at many events, there are times I just want to go somewhere with out the bag and just pleasantly watch without a care in the world. So if I find myself wanting to document a moment in time, say at school after a sporting event and I don't have my 18 mp camera, the 8mp I-phone comes to my rescue! It takes some awesome pictures that are easy to download and just as easy to erase. So depending on whats happening, they both do a nice job for what I want. Eventually the big cameras will get smaller IMO.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I have a camera I use to take pictures.
    I have a phone, to make and get phone calls.
    I have a watch, to see what time it is. ;)

Yep, I guess, I am old fashioned.

Moni

• Cherryfizz
    11 years ago

There are members of my family that never leave the house without their camera in hand and I am not talking about the ones on their cell phones. I don't have a real camera so I am thankful for the one I do have use of on my iPod but the pictures are never to my liking.

Digital cameras are good but somehow I miss the days of using film. I still have my first camera sitting in the box it came in that I got for Christmas one year when I was a kid. It used those square flash bulbs. I even have the Kodak disc camera I bought my Mom but I don't think you can even get the film for that anymore LOL

I look at your Dad's pictures Susan and I bet you wouldn't get the same effects using a digital camera. I still think you should publish a book of your Dad's pictures and sell them. I love to see how people lived back then and the furniture and home goods they used in their homes, the clothes and shoes that were worn. Sometimes I think there is no warmth in a digital image

Anne

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

Problem with phone photos and fb is that so few get printed out and saved for future generations. What happens if fb crashes? Im sure it wont...but I do miss having volumes of photo albums to hold.

• marilyn_c
    11 years ago

I just have a digital camera.

• marylmi
    11 years ago

I am curious...with the phone, can you set a timer for a picture so you can be included too? I have never had a camera phone.

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

I have an iPhone 5 and it does take good pictures and video but it doesn't zoom well. A decent camera zooms much better