Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
@ravencajun - USB question

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 9:56

I bought an external DVD Writer/Player so that I can install Microsoft Office on my laptop (laptop does not have a slot for the CD). The external device has to have two USB connections plugged into the laptop for the writer/player to work. My problem is that although the laptop has USB slots on each side, the two USB connectors for the player or very short, so I can plug in only one USB connection. Is there a device that I can purchase so that I can use it to plug in both USB connectors to the laptop.

I hope this isn't too rambling and hope it is clear as to what I am trying to describe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: @ravencajun - USB question

Not raven here, but i know we have like an "octopus" plugged into our desktop which allows several USBs to be used.

o

That's called a USB hub, red. That can work, but maybe not. Often when devices have two cords to plug in, it's because they need more power than is supplied by just one line. With a hub, the power of one socket is shared with many devices and may not work.

An alternative is to simply get a USB extension cable (Socket on one end, plug on the other) that will give the added length for one cord to reach the other side of the PC. They only cost a few dollars.

o

Hubs are cheap you can get two Hubs and plug the cords into the individual USB ports on the pc, I keep several Hubs around, I pick them up at big lots or Walmart for around $5. The hub will have a longer cord which makes it easy to plug into any port.
Google USB hub for examples.

o

Here's an example of a hub at Newegg. One thing to remember is that you want USB 2.0 not the old slower USB 1.0, they now also have 3.0 but only very new computers have those. However they are backwards compatible so a USB 1.0 device will work with a 2.0 or 3.0 hub. The higher the number the faster the transmission.

Here is a link that might be useful: USB hub

o

One caveat: Too many devices drawing power (not the data signal) can overload the computer port and cause it to shut down. When that happens, about the only way I know to reactivate the port is to disconnect the items causing the overload and reboot the computer.

Devices like a mouse and most thumb drives have low power requirements. But watch out for mechanical devices like high RPM disk drives and floppy drives. I've had no trouble with a 3.5 floppy drive, but a 7200 rpm hard drive (tradename Pass Port) shut down the port on an older laptop. The inrush current to start the disk spinning exceeded the port's allowable capacity and the port shut off. (If the USB port on the computer senses an over currrent draw, it automatically shuts down as a protective measure,)

Some hubs do accept an exernal power supply. You may wish to consider this option if you plan to connect devices that have significant power demands, or if more than one power hunger devices will be draining current at the same time.

o

I'm off to the store in a few minutes to see what I will purchase. Thank you all so very much for the wonderful advice and options.

o

ragin, I don't know if you're carrying on about hubs (which I personally think is not the best choice for this person) because I recommended an extension cord, or because you didn't. For very occasional or even one time use as may be the case here, there's no need to risk having a problem or paying too much. Most people have no need for a USB hub, PCs come with plenty of slots. You're welcome to a different view.

USB 3.0 has been out and available on PCs for several years, it's not a recent release.

o

I ended up getting the extension. The guy at the computer store highly recommended that. It was $3.50. Worked perfectly.

o

I'm glad you got your problem solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here