SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

New Cat- Need Your Opinion

jannie
11 years ago

We had a happy pet household of three humans, one dog and one cat. Everybody got along,now I'm speaking of the pets. The dog and cat slept together, ate each others' food, were good "friends". Then about a month ago, my daughter who lives elsewhere and has 4 dogs , said she'd been feeding a stray cat (not a feral) and was looking for a home for it. We took him, he's a pretty white and red mix, young, and has gorgeous yellow eyes. He is very friendly to humans and loves "exploring" our house. We kept him separate from our other furpets for about a week, but now he has free access. He defers to our dog, but "stalks" our original female cat. He's much bigger than she is. . He follows her around, she gets nervous and growls and hisses at him. There have been no real fights as far as I can tell. Just noise and posturing. I'm not home every minute but except for the growling they seem safe together. Now for my question- he is unneutered. I plan to change all that in a couple of weeks. My vet has told me neutering will take away his sexual and predatory urges but he may still follow our female cat, and he'll still remain aggressive if that's his personality.I'm asking if anyone can give advice. Have you introduced a male cat to a female without aggression? I know he needs "fixing" for his own health. He hasn't sprayed and uses our two litter boxes willingly. Does anyone think he'll be more friendly or less aggressive after surgery? I'm afraid for our female cat. She seems fearful of him, growling and hissing. I don't want to give up our "boy" or keep him outdoors. Please post any advice/experiences you may have had. Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)