Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it only me.................

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 9:51

that can't tolerate these new singers? Yesterday on GMA they had Taylor Swift singing, I just had to mute it. I just don't know what people see in these new singers or their music. So many of the talk shows end with singers and I have to find the mute button or go nuts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it only me.................

Except for a few exceptions, I'm right there with you Joann.

o

I like Taylor Swift and most all of the new country singers. I don't care for too many of the old time country. I like rock and roll, new and old, Just like everything else, I don't like ALL the songs. But they last only 3 minutes or so, so I don't bother turning the radio knob or anything. I don't like heavy metal, I can't stand opera, it grates on every nerve! lol At 730am on Sundays I listen to a half an hour of The Morman Tabernacle Choir on my drive to Weight Watchers. I like to listen to a lot of different stuff.

o

I have never seen the appeal with Taylor Swift. I don't like a lot of the new country......Jason something sings about his beer, and his voice grates on my nerves too. He sounds flat all the time.

The new country I adore is Lady Antebellum, Doc Walker.....a phenomenal Canadian band with beautiful harmony, Sugarland, and others.

We get very little of the older country played here, so on Sunday mornings it's a treat for me to listen to the local station play it for 2 hours. Ohhhh, the Gatlin Brothers, Oakridge Boys, John Conlee, Mickey Gilley, and of course Patsy Cline. How I miss that music.

So many of the new wave of singers....rock, dance, etc, it's their electronics that is doing the work for them. They can't sing, and are completely off-key without relying on their electronic systems.

o

Joann, you must have been reading my mind. Taylor Swift has been on every talk and entertainment show this week, she is promoting a new CD. I can't understand her appeal either. I have heard her sing live and she was off key a lot. IMHO her songs all sound alike, with similar themes. Aside from very nice hair her looks are nothing to write home about, she always appears to be squinting. I'm obviously in the minority, since she sells millions of albums and has a basketful of Grammys. It's not that she's young, I like a lot of the new singers like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum.

o

I am kind of neutral about Swift. I don't see what the fuss is all about. Yes, all her songs seem alike although I kind of liked the Romeo & Juliet one.

The other day Katy Perry was on some show singing a song that was very repetitive. Just googled and the song is called Fireworks. It was ear splitting. I couldn't hit the mute button fast enough.

I think both Taylor and Katy have a fan base of little girls who are more enamored with "cute" rather than "talented."

o

I'm with you Joann, can't handle these singers, or whatever they call it....What happened to the songs that you could actually understand the words and the music was nice, not just noise????

o

To me most of the younger singers seem to be screaming, mushing their words and lack a "clean" appearance--that is straggly hair, pasted on expressions, could be dressed better. After all they are in their work area, not in a clean up yard, playground area. But then many of the people today especially on the media show much more than I want to see.

o

I don't see the appeal of Taylor Swift either. She would be booted off American Idol or the Voice in a heartbeat.

o

Sadly what is called "country music" today bears no resemblance to the country music that those of us who are over the hill, so to speak, grew up listening to.

For those who remember and would like to see the truly great artists of the 50's, 60's and into the 70's look up "Country's Family Reunion". Some very entertaining DVDs of those fine entertainers gathered together reminiscing about their days on the road and the commradery among them. Plus a lot of music is shared. The taping of these 'reunion' shows began in the late 90's and have continued with new shows every couple years. All available on DVD.

We own all the them and watch and continue to enjoy them over and over again.

If you have RFD TV the installments of the shows run on Friday evening at 8

o

I like a lot of the music today and a lot of the music from the past. If I don't like something, I just chalk it up to my age. I know for a fact that my parents hated my music. I think that's pretty common.

o

Do any of you use Radio Tuna? There's not a genre in existence that you can't listen to. I listen to it in the background all the time, when on the computer.

o

Have to smile at some of the comments, my folks said the same thing about my music (late 60s-early 70s). I used to comment about "Barney Google and his goo googely eyes and that Maires eat oats songs. Though you could understand their words better

o

I miss the older music from the 50s and 60s. I listened to a couple of oldies last week and the difference compared to today's music was striking. The words were enunicated well and could be easily understood, the harmony was accurate, the chords were nice, and singers strove to produce beautiful sounds, and there was a beat as well. Back then, our parents objected to the racous beat employed by the instrumentalists, but that was the 'new' sound, and musicians worked with vocalists; They did not try to drown out the vocalist, but instead adjusted the volume to complement the vocalist he/she had a solo. In my opinion, it went downhill from there, but then, I am just an old fogey - I liked the Ink Spots, Gene Autry, and Yackety Sax. For fun stuff, we'd request "Da Uppers"; you know the song, "Grandma got run over by a reindeer".

o

Scissors and Cardamom, right on!
Scraggly hair? What did they say when the Beatles hit the U.S.?

Taylor Swift's not one of my favorites -- her songs just don't "hit" me, maybe I'm too old! (She did the "never ever getting back together" song on some morning show Wednesday -- I think it was The View). But not too bad enough for me to change the channel, hit the mute or turn it off...

My DirecTV has a ton of music channels (just the audio, not talking music videos, tho there are those channels, too), and there are several country channels -- older, folksy/old-time, newer. It makes me laugh when I hear an older tune and I realize I know the lyrics!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here