SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Clever spam - beware

dedtired
11 years ago

I got an email supposedly from my former boss. It went to my Inbox, not the Spam folder. I have not heard from her in years, so I was surprised to see her name pop up. I knew it was spam when I read it because she would never ask me to send money, especially when we have not remained friendly. However, if this had come from a friend or relative, I might have taken it seriously. Still, I would never send money in response to something like this no matter who sent it. Here it is:

Am writing this message to you in deep regret, I am currently stuck in England,United-Kingdom.I came down here on a short vacation with my family few days ago,unfortunately we were mugged last night in an alley by a gang of thugs on our way back from shopping,i was injured and all our belongings cash, cellphone and credit cards were all stolen at "gun point" Honestly it was beyond a dreadful experience for us.

I've reported to the police here and cancelled all our cards, it appeared I acted quickly enough or they almost would have succeeded in cleaning out my bank account. I'm really having some difficulties clearing our hotel bills so we can catch a flight back home as soon as possible,i need your financial assistance in sorting out the hotel bills, I need you to loan me some money,promise i will refund you as soon as am back home.Please Kindly write back so I can give you details on how you can send the money over here,i need your urgent help.

Awaiting your prompt response

Thanks

Carolyn

Honestly, the tone of the writing even sounds like Carolyn. This is so clever, since it even managed to incorporate her name into the Subject line and her signature. In her case, she travels quite a bit so it really could have been her writing. My first thought was that she sent the email to the wrong person. I started to send an email in reply to say her email had been hacked, but I noticed that the reply email used a zero instead of an O, so I didn't send it.

Anyway, spammers and con artists are getting more clever all the time.

Here's a link to some info I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Needs Money spam

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert