Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restaurant . com

Posted by katlan (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 9:49

Anybody every use them? I got an email from ebates this morning saying the daily double today is restaurant . com if you order anything from them you get 30% cash back from ebates.

I've heard a little about them, but I have no experience with them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restaurant . com

I have used both successfully and unsuccessfully.
(read fine print carefully before you purchase, minumum purchases, hours, days of the week, etc.)

I often will get some before I go on a vacation and it has always worked out for me.

However a local pub has stopped honoring them and I still had about 4 left. They said they were losing too much money....I said I stood to lose money too. Told me to contact Restaurant.com for my money back.
I told them they lost me as a patron...haven't been back in almost a year.
I predict this particular place will be out of business soon for various reasons....

o

I leave several of the coupons at my lake house so guests can dine locally and not have to pay. I have no complaints at all. As long as you read the conditions, you'll be fine.

o

In my area, restaurant.com participation seems to be a tool of last resort used by unpopular restaurants or those on a downward slide trying to stay in business. Others jack their prices up and then offer discounts and deals (2 for 1), so it's good to know what restaurants participate so they can be avoided.

I don't want to eat at places I don't want to eat at, no matter what the price.

A better approach I've used is to buy "gift cards" that Costco sells at a discount for decent places (maybe $80 for a $100 gift card). Those can be very worthwhile.

o

What everyone else (except Snidely) said. Check the restrictions (days you can use it) and how much you have to spend to use the coupon.. I've had them for $5. off $10. or others that were $10. off $30.

I had a issue like Salgal did where a restaurant quit accepting them. A few months later I got an email from restaurant.com and they let me pick a different restaurant coupon for free. I hadn't even contacted them... very happy with the outcome.

I think it's a good way for restaurants to get people to try them. I haven't seen any 'raising of prices' that Snidely suggested is happening.

This post was edited by lydia1959 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 11:55

o

Read about them before you spend your money.
Big point....You don't get free meals.
You have to spend XX amount before you can apply
the YY discount. XX is always a lot more than the coupon....
like $200 for a $100 coupon.
Cocktails don't count.
Check the limitations.
You can't combine them.
Make sure the restaurant you buy for is still accepting
them before you go.
I bought a bunch a couple years ago and have never
used them.
Google Restaurant.com reviews and read.
Some people love it and a lot think it's a complete rip-off.

o

Hi, Friends, I am here to find the best suggestions for my requirement. I am using an older espresso machine and I have read many excellent posts here and seen Youtube demos on extracting the golden pull from the best machines, and hoping for the day when I can produce the golden nectar at home. What gives with the pro baristas and shops? Am I expecting too much? Or should I move in as a neighbour to one of those guys on Youtube? Would love to experience the experience, but I'm beginning to wonder where?

Civet coffee

This post was edited by carlfraine on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 6:25

o

I'm pretty sure that if you use the restaurant.com card, you do not get it back like you would a gift card. So if you have a $50 one and you only spend $30 then that's all the savings that you will get and that's all of it for that card. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

o

If you have a $50 coupon and spend $30 you can't use the coupon
at all.
You'd have to spend $100 (usual minimum) to get the discount.

o

Hmmmm, I didn't realize some of this stuff. Oh well, maybe I'll try one cheap one, one time and see how it goes.

Thanks!

o

OH OK Linda, I knew it was something screwy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here