Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baked Apples

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 9:37

How many of you like and fix baked apples? I am thinking about baking some for Thanksgiving. I think we all like them in our family, how about you?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baked Apples

brings back memories... my girlfriend made herself a small room in the former chicken coop.

it had an old couch, a chair, a small table and some lamps. We used to sit up there (yes, it was higher up in the barn) and "bake apples" over candles.

When I think of that now... good thing, we never caught anything on fire. :)

No, I don't make baked apples, how do you do yours?

Moni

o

I do love baked apples. We sometimes have them for breakfast on Christmas.

Not sure I'd personally serve them on TG--my family expects assorted pies for dessert. If I tried to pawn off something without crust on them, I can imagine the flack I'd get--LOL. And they want to try a little of everything--a big baked apple would preclude that, too

o

We love baked apples... but like azzalea.. would get lots of flack if I replaced them for the pies...lol we don't have lots of family here... but we do have a rather large group of friends that we socialize with ... I am usually designated as the "pie lady"...

Carolyn

o

I make sauteed apple slices for every family gathering. Sort of like Cracker Barrel, but better. This way people can take as many or as few as they like.

Sautee the apples in a little butter until about half way done. Add a little lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt depending on amount of apples. Cover and cook over lowest heat until done to your liking, about 10 minutes for crisp tender. These can be held in a small crock pot on warm for a few hours.

o

Woodsy, I make them that way, too. Sometimes I add a handful of raisins to the mix. I serve them as a side dish, not dessert. They go really well with ham or a pork roast.

o

Oh the baked apples will not replace the pies. This is how mine are fixed. Do not peel but core and cut in half. Place peeling side down in 9 x 13 dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar and a box of vanilla or butterscotch pudding, the dry mix. Dot with butter after sort of mixing the pudding mix into the brown sugar. Add just a few sprinkles of water and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.

Sue

o

Marilyn, sounds a WHOLE lot better than the charred black warm apples we used to eat. But the excitement, of not getting caught with fire, even candle fire added to the taste back then. LOL

Moni

o

Sue that sounds good going to get a couple this week it is getting cold enough to put the oven on now 37 this morning in NE Texas

o

My mother used to bake the best apples. She would core them, set them in a glass baking dish and fill the center with red hots, you know, the little candy red hots... then bake them.. oh my they were so delicious and so pretty.

o

Moni, your story reminds me of one my daughter told me a few years ago. When she and her cousins got together at my parent's, their farm house had "attics" which were really big walk-in closets. Little known to us, the kids would sneak candles and matches up in one of the closets and hold "seances". (The kids were 10 and under.)

That closet held all our old prom gowns and a bunch of stuff that would ignite so easily. I'm sure that chicken coop could've, too. Scared me silly, even though it'd happened years ago. ;-)

o

I love baked apples. My problem is finding good apples. The ones in the stores are as hard as rocks.

dbfirewife, That is how I used to make them. Oh, so good!

Here is a recipe I found somewhere a couple years ago, and I made them several times with apples friends brought me. I think I posted this recipe here then.

SWEET MINI APPLE DUMPLINGS

2 8-oz tubes refrigerated crescent rolls.
4 apples, cored, peeled and sliced into 8 wedges
one half cup of butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1Tbls (m-l) cinnamon

Cut each crescent roll in half, forming 2 triangles from each. Roll up 1 apple wedge in each triangle, crescent roll style. Arrange in a sprayed 13x9 inch pan. Set aside.

Put butter, sugar and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over crescents.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Makes 32.

Sue

o

mil used romas, hollowed out and filled with brown sugar and red hots candy...served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...

o

I use Stayman and core, fill with brown sugar, marshmallows, honey ,and cinnamon, bake at 350 for an hour.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here