Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Down stuffing

Posted by two.25acres (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 9:35

Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased down stuffing and used it to stuff pillows or perhaps couch cushions on thier own. Here's what I'd like to do. We purchased a very expensive $8,000 9 person leather sectional from a very reputable complany about 6 years ago. We are very happy with the couch, the recliners on both ends have held up very well and every 3 years the company will redo the cushions. Here's where the problem lies, they changed manufacturers for the cushions and we cannot seem to get the cushions at a comfort level we are happy with. Initially they used two pieces of styrofoam, one piece was 5 inches thick and the other was 2 inches thick. They glued them together and then used batting around the outsides to create some softness. Since changing manufacturers they aren't using the same quality styrofoam and batting and I'm not happy. I've tried to work with the company and they have tried to work with us but each time we do this we end up having to go without a cushion or two for up to 6 six weeks. That just doesn't work, it's not fun looking at your furniture and having it missing pieces not to mention it limits your seating. So, I had the idea of going out and searching for my own quality styrofoam and adding down. What do you think? Has anyone ever done this or am I just out of luck? If you've done it, where did you get the down and what kind? Thank you for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Down stuffing

I have not had any experience with sofa stuffing, but I have worked with down in making sleeping bags, jackets and other apparel. In my opinion, I don't think that down would be resiliant enough to stand up to the leather and the pressure of sitting. It would rather quickly get packed down and the ability to refluff it would be difficult. For apparel, just tossing the item in the dryer would refluff it, but leather sofa cushions, short of reaching in and fluffing by hand, I don't know how it could be done.

o

First of all they are not using styrofoam - that is a rigid product never used for cushions. Think of the white stuff that surrounds major items shipped to you, and disposable coffee cups. That's stryrofoam.

Now before everyone gets all snarky, she needs the correct words to tell the vendor what she wants.

What I interpret from what you say, you want an initial soft cushy feel, but then some support underneath. I think you need to ask for a "down envelope around a high-resiliency foam core".

That's me speaking as a former upholsterer.

And as a former upholsterer - I contracted ALL my down work to a factory. This is NOT a do-it-yourself type of project, unless you are willing to find downy feathers EVERYWHERE for years. That stuff is a hot mess to work with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lodi Down & Feather Company

o

By Golly, I think that's it. I know the foam core term is thrown around when I talk to the store but it's the down envelope that I was missing. I could have sworn when we got the furniture that it included "down" and my guess is the down is outside the foam core? When they replaced the inner stuff the first time I wasn't home. I had it done on my husbands day off and he didn't pay attention to what was coming out of the cushions. I have the feeling what came out of the cushions the first time is not what went in and that's why it doesn't feel right. I am going to pull out the paperwork and see if there is any reference to down envelope around the foam core. Thank you for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here