Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forgot to soak soup beans

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 8:49

I wanted to put soup beans and ham into the crock pot this morning for supper, but forgot to soak the beans overnight last night. Had everything laid out to remind me but.....
Anyhow, do you think I could get away without the soak? They will be slow cooking for hours. It's already nearly 9am. here and I need to decide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forgot to soak soup beans

As a person that has done that on more occasions than I would like to admit... what I do is simmer then in lightly salted water for an hour or so... and then drain off the water and then put the ingredients all together in the crock pot...

Carolyn

o

Do you have time to do the quick soak method? I like to soak overnight but I've done the quick soak when my meal plan has changed and a pot of chili or beans/ham is called for....

Rinse beans in cold water. Put in a pot and cover with around 3 inches of cold water - no salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. Let sit for 1 hour. Drain.

Continue on with your recipe.

o

My Dad use to put in a tablespoon of baking soda and let boil for a couple of hours, rinse well, then cook. Not sure why, but it seemed to work.

o

I never soak the beans,,,I put them in the crockpot with 6 to 8 cups of water per pound, add some salt and set the crockpot on high and let it cook for one to 1 to 1.5hours on high then I start adding whatever I intend to put with the beans.

My Grandmother taught me to cook beans that way when I was a teenager and I have been doing it ever since, and we eat a lot of beans.

o

My DM added baking soda to the beans to prevent the unpleasant after affects.

Sue

o

Well, I decided to just put the beans in without quick-soaking them and also cut up the little cottage ham and added that at the same time. Did that around 9:45am. and set the crock pot on high and it's 1:36pm. here now. They seem to be cooking alright, smells good in here. I've had to add water several times already, just a cup or so at a time. They are absorbing alot of water.

Outside caulking the old siding of the little barn and come in every so often to check on them. I might have them for supper by 6pm but not sure. Thanks everyone!

o

When I'm in a hurry (my usual), I put beans covered with water in the microwave for at least 10 min (usually cooking 4 or 5 servings). Drain, rinse, into the crockpot.

o

I turned off the beans at 3:30pm, they were plenty done and delicious too. Put two (not one like I should have) slices of bread on the plate and spooned the beans and ham over them. Oh my gosh. Then a half hour ago I just couldn't resist and got a second serving, just a blow full tho. There was even a box of Jiffy cornbread mix on the shelf but I had no milk and didn't feel like running clear down town for some. Tomorrow.

o

For the next time, if you forget to soak beans, you can boil for 1 hour, drain and cook as usual. Do not add salt when cooking or boiling beans. Salt prolong the process. Always add salt toward the end when the beans are thoroughly cooked.

o

Your soup beans sound really good. I don't soak my beans overnight. I go by the package directions, wash, cover with water and bring to a boil, keep covered and let set for an hour. Drain and rinse and cook. I don't add salt until toward the end as it may cause the beans not to cook well.
Did your package of beans have directions similar to that? Anyway I am glad they were so tasty, my way with some white bread. :)

Sue

o

Marilyn Sue, yes the same directions on the bag. No need to add salt before or after due to the ham. Boy, am I paying for that second helping right now - good thing I sleep alone. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here