Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I saved us $$$

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 8:29

When the technician was here for our annual furnace inspection he noticed the heat exchanger was going bad. Said the company would get back to us about either replacing it or with an estimate for a new furnace. This furnace is only ten years old, so figured they'd replace the part. We were shocked when they sent an estimate of almost $3,000 to replace the furnace.

Luckily I save every manual and piece of information on appliances and anything else that comes with a warranty. Dug out the information and sure enough there is a life time limited warranty on the heat exchanger. Soo I called the company and after much searching of the unit found the serial number for the part and TA-DA! Yep, it's covered. So called the company and give them the information.

Long story short we're only going to have to shell out around $500 versus nearly $3,000.00

So glad I decided to check this out versus just saying "Oh heck, guess we need to get a new furnace".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I saved us $$$

Just like when my husband's eyeglass frame broke. We were prepared to shell out around $200-$300 for new frames. Took them to the optician's office, they found the existing frames were under lifetime guarantee. A week later he had like-new glasses, for free!

o
RE: I saved us $$$

I LOVE this story. So often we are at the mercy of the repairmen who understand equipment that we don't, and end up paying for unneeded repairs.

You are so smart! I never remember to check the warranty on old appliances. I just presume they ran out long ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here