Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To people who THINK they don't like Grits..

Posted by OnAHolliday (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 8:04

There's a good chance you haven't had them prepared correctly. Really! It's not the watery/grainy half prepared "instant" tsunami of horror that you may have had ladled onto your plate flooding away every other food. It's rich, creamy, and doesn't have one iota of graininess about it. Think about a delicious fresh polenta, only a wee bit looser. One of the simple treasures passed down from mama to me was grits, made right. Thanks Mama!! :)

Is it obvious that DW is still asleep and I'm tapping my fingers on the table waiting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To people who THINK they don't like Grits..

i have never had grits that i liked. so, needless to say, i don't know how to cook them. what's the secret?? ;)

o

I KNOW I don't like grits...or liver.

o

With a bit of cream, butter & sugar they are great!

o

I don't think even a plateful of bacon could get me to like grits!

o

Add butter, sugar, and grape jelly to them.
They are pretty good with the grape jelly.

I had a big bowl yesterday with strawberry jelly.

Pooh Bear

o

When I was a teen my folks took us on a vacation to Florida. On the drive down from New England we would stop at little restaurants for breakfast and my Dad would always get grits. Yuck!! They look and taste like Cream of Wheat. I have never been able to see what everybody in the South sees in them. They rave and rave over those nasty things. LOL

Come on and tell us your secret in cooking them.

o

I don't think I would like them plain. We stayed at a resort this summer that made them with smoked poblanos and some type of cheddar. They were delicious.

o

I enjoy plain grits, now, with just salt and pepper.

I'm off for church, but I'm gonna git back here.

o

Garlic cheese grits! I'm Canadian, and had never had them until visiting my DAunt in Virginia. Went to a party and someone brought garlic cheese grits! OMG! I could've eaten the whole thing myself, it was so good! Luckily she was kind enough to give me the recipe. Then I had to bring grits home to Canada because they don't sell them here!

o

Grits taste fine to me. Prefer them doctored up though. Dab of butter, cream, sweetner of some kind. Possibly a tiny bit of maple syrup.
Plain grits would be like eating dry toast, or plain raw spinach. They're good to eat but better with something on them.

o

I've never been able to get into grits...but my husband likes them.

o

My Georgia DH says, "grits is groceries". I've never quite figured out what that means, but I think it means they're good.

The reason people who try them in restaurants think they don't like them is because a lot of restaurants don't salt them. You have to salt the water you cook them in because you can add all the salt you want on your plate, but they aren't going to taste right.

Emeril taught us a "trick" and that is to put the grits in cold water and then put them on the stove. That way they don't form mini-vocanos that bubble up and get all over your stovetop. Sometimes Harry cooks them in milk instead of water--nice and creamy.

Just don't forget the salt!!

o

I ate grits type stuff as a kid in Germany, and now a days anything like that will NOT cross my lips.

However, eating dry toast, or plain raw spinach is just fine with me. :)

Moni

o

I KNOW I don't like grits....

o

I absolutely positively know I don't like it...

Can't sugar it or cream it or anything it to change it enough to get me to eat it.

o

I like good grits not soupy grits. I prefer mine sweet if it is just plain grits.
But the best I have made is a cheese grits souffle Oh it is so good nice and firm baked in the oven to a golden color with good yummy cheese in side. I have served them to people who raved about it and then when I told them it was grits they told me I had to be lying. So it does depend on how it is cooked.

o

luckygardenr....can you post your recipe for the garlic cheese grits. i'd really like to try them. tia ;)

o

I make wonderful shrimp and grits, plus sausage grits casserole, and grits and greens (new recipe I've been using for potluck)

New thing aroudn here is pork and grits at Jim 'n Nicks every Tues.

Here's my grits and greens recipe:

3 cups milk
1 cup water Use chicken stock skip the bullion cubes
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 cup "quick" grits
1 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb. greens (mustard, turnip, collard, spinach, chard, or any combo of these) or equivalent amount of frozen or canned greens ****Use good GLORY CANNED SEASON TURNIP ***
1 Tbsp. bacon drippings (or oil or butter) don't need *if you use Gloryi which is already seasoned perfectly
several slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
In large heavy saucepan or pot heat the milk, water and bouillon cube to just below a boil. Slowly whisk in grits and cook for 5-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring often to prevent scorching.

When grits are thickened, stir in 1 and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and allow to melt (reserve 1/4 cup for top). Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, wash greens and heat bacon drippings in large skillet over high heat. Put greens in skillet while still a little wet from washing. Cook until thoroughly wilted, then drain. If using frozen greens, just heat and drain well; if canned, just drain well. Chop greens up very fine. Stir into grits mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour into casserole dish (I use 2 pie pans and freeze one of these for later). Top with crumbled bacon and remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F until bubbly, about 20-25 minutes. You want it to still be a little bit loose. It will thicken as it stands. Use broiler to brown top.

This freezes well. Just thaw beforehand and cook as above, adding another 10-15 minutes

o

There are Cream of Wheat fans and there are oatmeal fans. As a rule, it has been my observation that people who grew up not liking Cream of Wheat, do not like grits. Basically, I do not like grits. However, we were visiting a friend in Hilton Head and as a Northerner, she decided to make us a true Southern meal....shrimp and grits. My heart sunk because I really do not like grits and didn't want to hurt her feelings so I thought I would eat a little and push the rest around on my plate. I must say, the way she prepared them I ate them all. Salt, butter, garlic...delish. So maybe you are right, it matters how they are prepared. Don't think I'd go out of my way to order them in a restaurant, though.

o

I've learned to love grits and have become picky about the brand. Never instant grits. There's an old working stone mill in Belvidere, Tennessee, still grinding corn meal, grits, and flour. Called Falls Mill, it's a fascinating place to visit and beautiful. A big water wheel drives the mill and you can watch the whole process. To say the least, their grits are the best I 've ever had.

It's a short drive for us and we enjoy walking down by the river and sitting at the wooden tables they've placed along the way. What a picture postcard view!

o

Cheese Grits. The only way to go!

o

OMG I love love love shrimp and grits!! If it is on the menu that is what I am having!

the cheese grits souffle actually uses the garlic cheese but you can not find it anymore so you have to find work around, I don't know why Kraft quit making those little tubes of garlic cheese.

o

Even if you drizzled chocolate all over them, I couldn't get them down. They even look nasty to me!

o

I have never tried grits, but if they taste like corn meal mush, with sugar and milk, I would like them as I love cooked cereal.

Sue

o

Here's the shrimp and grits casserole I've made and so good.

***are my notes

Shrimp & Grits Casserole

4 C Chicken broth

1/2 t Salt

1 C Grits (not instant)

1 C Sharp Cheddar Cheese - shredded ***Used finely shredded fiesta blend for the two cheeses

1 C Pepper Jack Cheese - shredded

2 T Butter

6 Green onions, chopped (reserve some for garnish)

1 Green or Red bell pepper, chopped did not use

1 Garlic clove, minced

2 lbs Shrimp, shelled and cooked (reserve a few for garnishing your plated dish)

1 (10 oz) can Rotel, drained Used mild

1/4 t Pepper

1/2 lb bacon, cooked & coarsely chopped

Bring chicken broth to a boil and then add grits and cover until cooked. (Follow directions on bag of grits.)

Add 3/4 C of cheddar cheese and all of pepper jack cheese.

Saute green onion, green (or red) bell pepper, and garlic in butter.

Stir together green onion mixture, tomatoes, grits, shrimp, and the rest of the ingredients except for the remaining cheese.

Pour into 2 qt baking dish.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-45 minutes or until bubbling. Once plated, garnish with reserved shrimp, chopped bacon, and remaining shredded cheese.*****garnished with bacon and cheese only

o

Love grits with cheese and crumbled sausage on top. Going to try Glenda's recipe with greens in it, Yum!!

o
RE: To peoccccple who THINK they don't like Grits..

ruthie, it's really good! I use the canned seasoned greens! Glory and if I can't find the size of Glory, then I use the other brand, that's seasoned, but I can't think of the name of it right now.

o

Glenda,that recipe sounds great. I think even I would like that . Onions, garlic , pepper cheese, bacon.....it's gotta be good. Now, I have to muster up enough courage to try it. LOL

o

Another one here that doesn't like grits or liver,or sushi.
Kathi

o

Glenda, that shrimp/grits recipes sounds delicious. I will definitely make it while Harry's daughter is here next week. She's on that gluten-free diet thing and that will be perfect! Thank you (and I'll leave out the green pepper, too.)

o

Oh pooh! I forgot she doesn't do dairy either. Shoot!!

o
What a shame, what a shame, what a shame....

Greetz ain't no suhweet deeesh, it's savuhree!
I've pinched a "shrimp n' grits" recipe off of the web when it made rounds on the food shows and was happy with the one I got, however, to be honest, that isn't what I'm talking about. No casseroles, no funky jazzed up jellies or sugar!?! Hell, if your puttin' jelly on your grits it's no wonder you don't like it! lol A little stab at humor there (terribly lame) but the point is made. Cream of wheat (farina?) and oat meal are sweetened dishes and, as far as I'm concerned, breakfast dishes alone. Grits, for the most part, are made with dairy products around here. Butter, cream, milk and cheese. It can make the dinner table but admittedly not often around my house.

Oh no, I previewed and can't scroll up to see who said we should start our grits in COLD water (or milk or half & half). YES, you're right! I believe that this insane notion of tossing grits into boiling water must have come from that instant grits syndicate they cranked up somewhere up north! I think you also said you must salt the water (much like you would salt for pasta I might add) in order to pull out the full flavor of the hominy.. YES, again.

It's not magic and hopefully it's understood that I'm kidding that one HAS to like grits. On the flip side of the coin I dang well know that most people have never really sat down to a breakfast of fresh, creamy grits.

I am giggling just a little bit that the grits post attracted this many opinions.

o

OAH, remember 10 plus years ago, when LKGrace had the get-together? Elaine from NJ, flew down, stayed with me, and I fixed her sausage grits casserole. She loved it. OR she said she did :o)

o

I remember glender, it's amazing that anyone ever talks to me after I attended one of these meetings. *grin*
I'm afraid to ask about one or two, if you would just tell me that ALL are doing fine it would be a blessing.

o
RE: To peobbbple who THINK they don't like Grits..

All are Fine as far as I know.

Buzzard lost her husband couple years ago.

o

Lindalou, here you go!

Garlic Cheese Grits ( mmm Delicious!)

1 C. quick cooking grits
1 egg
1/2 C milk
2 C grated sharp cheese
1-2 T melted butter
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C chopped sweet onion (optional)

Cook grits according to package instructions. Beat egg slightly, add milk and beat a little more. Add egg/milk mixture, cheese, onion, butter, salt and garlic to grits. Stir until cheese melts. Pour into greased casserole and bake 30 minutes ate 350�, or until set.

Quantity is easily adjusted.

o

My condolences to the Buzz.
Sorry to post that under your recipe luckyg. /:

o

I like grits. Can't stand oatmeal and dislike cream of wheat. It's a texture thing. Grits are good.

o

We all had a great time at Birmingham. My GS, Bobby was 10 and you gave him your sunglasses and shook his hand. He thinks you are a cool guy. Bobby will be 20 in March. Kind of makes ya feel old doesn't it? LOL Those were the good old days and lots of fun.

o

OAH, I think that you might be thinking of shrimp 'gravy ' over grits. It originated on the shrimp trawlers, when somebody make breakfast for everybody after the first haul of the morning.

The version I had (on a trawler) was made by cooking a few pieces of bacon up in a big skillet. Put the bacon aside and drain off all but a tad of the drippings. Add flour to the pan to make a roux, cook until brown. Thin the roux with water, add Old Bay seasoning and a mess of peeled and headed shrimp. When the shrimp is pink, pour a serving over a bowl of buttery grits. Crumble bacon on top.

Breakfast was served while it was still dark on the water, during the lull between hauls. By then, everybody would be starved and it seemed like nothing tasted better in the whole world.

My version is quite a bit different than that, but with a nod to my shrimper friends. The grits are always cooked separately.

o

I love grits! Not instant or sweetened, though. Just a little butter, salt and pepper.
Have had some wonderful cheese grits casseroles, too. I have my grandmother's hand-written recipe...somewhere.

o

I love grits! Not instant or sweetened, though. Just a little butter, salt and pepper.
Have had some wonderful cheese grits casseroles, too. I have my grandmother's hand-written recipe...somewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here