I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours Tues Oct 23

Posted by casey_nfld (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 6:44

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours Tues Oct 23

"JADE"

In China, if you want to wish someone, "Health", "Wealth" and "Happiness"..........you give them a gift of jade.

This is a carved prayer bracelet and pierced pendants. Some are symbols of "luck", one has a rat reaching for a peach, as in year of the rat. One depicts two oriental gents. I'll post more detailed pictures later.

In Chinese tradition, jade symbolized the five virtues of humanity: wisdom, compassion, justice, modesty and courage. Symbols of these virtues were often carved into jade.

Jade

o

o

Photobucket

o

Inside looking out.

Bob, I see the squirrel did bring back the feeders. If he wants to eat this winter, he better not take then again.

o

Lost my battery charger, but here's a fall cruise picture

o

While hiking last Saturday I passed a lot of prickly pear cactus on the trail as is often the case but this time I noticed that yellow jackets seem to really like the fruit. I mean really like it! There were about 20 of them inside and around the pear.

The first photo is what a prickly pear cactus looks like.
The second and third photos are a close-up of all the yellow jackets.
The fourth pic is what the inside of the fruit looks like. I went to a seed harvest for our local conservation group a few weeks ago and as a treat one of the docents brought a cleaned prickly pear for each of us to eat. Very interesting. Sweet, but not too sweet.

Jodi-

o

A panoramic shot from a hike to Humpback Rocks in George Washington National Forest

o

Jodi thanks for the tutorial on prickly pears. I see them for sale in the stores all the time, both individually and sold by the case. I didn't know they grew on a cactus! I wouldn't want to be the one harvesting them.

Haven't been tempted to buy one to try, though.

o

Funny, I've never seen one for sale in the stores. But I'm not the regular grocery shopper in our family.

My understanding is that some people burn or torch the needles off the pears after harvest which surely involved leather gloves. :-)

Jodi-

o

Jodi ....very cool wasp pic. Those cactus grow wild here, out behind my house. They sell the pads @ the grocery store without the thorns. But....I've never seen anyone buy one. :0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here