Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sewing cotton flannel kids' pjs?

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 3:04

Who here has sewn kids' flannel pjs? I remember someone doing just the bottoms and then trimming a white tshirt or undershirt to match. I don't like all the polyester flannel and want some 100% cotton flannel pjs for winter that are not so expensive. So maybe it is time to sew some pj bottoms.

Can anyone recommend a particular pattern or what to look for? Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sewing cotton flannel kids' pjs?

I have made the adult flannel "lounge " pants, I used the same type pattern for scrubs with a drawstring waist. Very simple to make. I agree I only like good quality and good weight 100% cotton flannel. I personally make my own patterns but I think every pattern company has one, if you google for scrubs patterns free you can find some.
Or if you have an old pair that fit you right take it apart and use it for a pattern.

o

I believe it was Susie 53 that did the pj's like you are talking about. I have my stash of flannel fabric and when I find time I plan on making some for Alyssa, as for a pattern I can not recommend any as she is still so tiny, I think her size will be only a one. I have quite a collection of older patters that I will go through as well as a couple of new ones. Good luck with your project.

Sue

o

Sounds like a good project--pj bottoms are easy.

But remember that cotton flannel shrinks a bit, so you'll want to preshrink before cutting out your pattern pieces.

o

JoAnn Fabrics and Hancock each have a great selection of 100% cotton flannel in plaids, childrens, and sport themed designs. Some are very soft, others more stable. If flannel isn't on sale now, they always have great coupons.

There are lots of patterns, too. Other than side-seam pockets, they're all about the same. Watch for patterns to be on sale for .99 or $1.99, then choose one with a top you might make. Tops are just as easy as bottoms.

Happy sewing! It's my favorite thing to do. This week I'm going to make a robe and nightgown for my gdtr's ninth birthday on Friday.

o

Azzalea - that was my only comment - to pre-wash as the shrinkage ia quite a bit on the smaller sizes, I also put the fabric in a pillowcase to cut down on the raveling...

o

I have made the pj's with the t-shirts many times. Years ago I was into making the summer pj's with a white t-shirt and white boxer shorts. I trimmed them out with white eyelet on the bottom of the sleeves and the bottom of the shirt. With eyelet being costly now you could just stitch a couple rows of pretty stitching along the bottom and maybe a small bow or even buttons on the sleeve. I have done this and they turned out really cute. I also have made nightgowns for little ones out of the t-shirts. In the summer time I add the white boxer shorts with the eyelet trim on the bottom. I stitch the opening shut on the front, add some eyelet and sew a few button or small bows. I used to sew school and college letters on them.

If you are lucky enough to have a Joanns close by their snuggle flannel will be on sale for 67% off starting on Sunday. It is really nice fabric and washes well. Be sure to wash and dry first due to it shrinking. I have been making baby blankets, bibs, and burb cloths out of it and people tell me they love them. I see they are using them in pictures of the babies. I used up all my extra small pieces one year at Christmas and made doll blankets for all my family members little girls.

o

Thanks everyone. Since I have only grandsons, Susie, I won't need to worry about eyelet trim! I may give it a try if I find a sale on flannel.

o

I have made the flannel pants for my grandson and just purchased a long sleeve cotton shirt to match. He loves them..

o

I made flannel PJs and robes for my son when he was little but that was decades ago.

o

Wow! This thread took me back to 40 yrs. ago when I used to sew our boys pjs because it was less expensive than buying them. And I did buttons down the top fronts, set in sleeves, and little pockets on the chest. I just bought my youngest grand cute pjs from Kohls! How easy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here