SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Let them (the birds) eat (suet) cake! Photo & Recipe

caroline94535
15 years ago

My first batch of home made suet cakes is cooling in the kitchen. The color difference between the pan and smaller holder/mold is because of the flash. As you can see, the "Purple Martins" can't wait to try it. Recipe below photo.

I'm no longer buying "suet" cakes that are 90% sunflower seed, in the shell, and big chunks of heavy corn. I want "suet" cakes for my winter bird feeding.

I made two batches of this recipe; the first batch made a rather thin layer in the baking pan. The double batch may be a bit thick to fit in the smaller suet cages, but I'll make it work.

Let Them Eat Carol's Cake!

1 lb. lard (About 2 and 1/4 cups)

1/2 cup of sugar

1 cup of peanut butter

1 cup of HULLED sunflower seed

1 cup of steel-cut Irish oats (or any oats)

1/2 cup of cornmeal

1 cup of stone-ground whole wheat flour

Heat lard over medium heat until partially melted.

Stir in sugar, continue to heat lard/sugar mix, and stir. (My woodpeckers love the hummingbird nectar, so I added sugar for their sweet tooth.) Do not let it get too hot. Lard can flash into flame.

Once the lard is melted and the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat.

Add peanut butter and stir until it's melted.

In a large bowl, mix sunflower seed, oats, cornmeal and flour until combined.

Slowly pour in the liquid lard/sugar/peanut butter mixture and stir until smooth. You may have to press lumps of the meal with a big spoon to get it all blended.

Pour into molds, or a 9x12 baking pan.

Let the cake cool and harden. Then cut into the sizes/shapes you need, wrap in Saran wrap and freeze until needed.

You can add different ingredients, change the amounts, mix and match, and make the suet cake that "suets" your birds. The 'Net is loaded with recipes.

My next batch will be made with beef suet. I have to research and learn if chickadee-dee-dees and nuthatches like raisins. If so, I'm make a batch with ground raisins and apple bits mixed in.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida