Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No particular destination roadtrip..

Posted by CountrySunshine (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 0:43

Larry wants to take me on a roadtrip with no particular destination... Well sort of.. He mentioned the Gulf Coast with a stop in New Orleans, and then meandering on up along the Missippi River..... no time restrictions, just enjoying each other's company and anticipating what is just "round the bend"...

My question to those that live along the Gulf Coast and perhaps in the New Orleans area & Mississippi River area... What are some "must see" places that you can recommend...

Thanks bunches,
Carolyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No particular destination roadtrip..

Sounds like a fun trip...enjoy.

o

I don't have any suggestions, but sounds like a dream trip to me. I love my job, but really looking forward to retirement so I can do this. Only 12 more years, lol.

o

Can't really help with the sigtseeing but that is the way to go...Hubby and I have done it many times and have found many, many interesting spots to visit....Lately, it's just been day trips, just last week after riding for 3+ hours, we found ourselves in Maryland having lunch..... One of the perks to be retired........

o

While we were out shopping this am... we decided our first stop will be in Seale Alabama at my DD... stay a couple days, and then make our way to the Gulf... taking our time along the way... meander the Gulf Coast with a stop for sure in New Orleans, and then more meandering to the Mississippi River along the Mississippi border.. and on North to Memphis, then on to Missouri to stay at his place up there for a few days, then home from there..

Of course all the tentative charted course is subject to change... but I am going to make sure my camera is empty so I can take loads of photos.. =0) He said I deserved a little bit of a vacation and some coddling after my surgery... Got to love a man like that !!

Carolyn

o

While we were out shopping this am... we decided our first stop will be in Seale Alabama at my DD... stay a couple days, and then make our way to the Gulf... taking our time along the way... meander the Gulf Coast with a stop for sure in New Orleans, and then more meandering to the Mississippi River along the Mississippi border.. and on North to Memphis, then on to Missouri to stay at his place up there for a few days, then home from there..

Of course all the tentative charted course is subject to change... but I am going to make sure my camera is empty so I can take loads of photos.. =0) He said I deserved a little bit of a vacation and some coddling after my surgery... Got to love a man like that !!

Carolyn

o

I agree with Sleeper - I cannot wait to be able to do this!Just get in the car and go - sounds like a dream! Enjoy every minute! :)

o

In Missouri, there are old water mills. These are disappearing with time, so are worth viewing. Most of these in southern MO are located on big springs. The folks there call these 'springs', but by my viewpoint, I would class these as underground rivers based on their tremendous flow rates and year around flow. Two of the nicest mills are Bollinger (not on a spring) and Hogdsen (sp) (on a spring).

There is a covered bridge at the Bollinger mill. This 3 story structure had been kept in good repair and the internal machinery is in working order, a rarity for Missouri mills. It is also a Civil War site. During the Civil War, the Rebels hanged the miller because they believed he ground flour for the Union Army.

These mills were ciritical during the Civil War. Making flour was a very slow process with a water driven, single stone set. Flour was a basic ingredient for both armies. Camp recipies depended on flour.

One of the most crude mills is the 'Falling Spring Mill". It is a tiny building barely large enough to house the bul and pinion gear. A belt was passed through the front wall to power equipment sitting outside the mill. One unique feature of this mill is that it was used to generate electricity. This was ome of the few rural farms in Ozark country to have electric power. This location was isolated from any towns of significant size. The mill was first constructed without a building and put to use. Later, it was enclosed. Another feature is the spring. This spring erupts about 15 feet up from a rock wall. This mill is remote and off the beaten path.

Another nice mill is "Alley Sping". This spring emerges at the bottom of a rather quiet pool. Its too late in the season now, but this mill is very photogenic with fall colors.

o

Yes, Alley Spring is a beautiful spot and the trees were lovely this year. I live about 10 mi. from Alley Spring. They have a great picnic area and you can walk down to the river. Family had our 50th Wedding Anniversary there last year.

o

"no time restrictions, just enjoying each other's company"
You know that's the shortest trip ever and you already enjoy the best sight you're going to ever see. Drink it up while you have it. :)

o

We took a trip like this in April this year, and after we left New Orleans, we took the River Road and visited several plantations. To us, being from California, they were breathtakingly beautiful. We also loved Natchez, Mississippi. Enjoy your trip!

o

We took a trip like this in April this year, and after we left New Orleans, we took the River Road and visited several plantations. To us, being from California, they were breathtakingly beautiful. We also loved Natchez, Mississippi. Enjoy your trip!

o

We discussed the River Road.. but he said he wants to save that for spring time when the flowers are all blooming and we will hopefully have more time.. We can pick up the Natchez Trace from close by here, and go to Natchez and such...We will probably be gone only for 3 or 4 days.. maybe 5.... But it will be fun just spending time with Larry and the girls.. (Trixie and Lucy pooches)

We will look into those places in Missouri too.. Since he has a place in Fisk, we can spend lots of time doing day trips from there..

Thanks for the info... I sure appreciate it..

Carolyn

o

Alley Spring and Mill
Missouri

o

Bollinger Mill and Bridge

o

Well if it was me I would want to see Vicksburg. We are Civil War buffs and it's one of the battlefields I haven't seen yet. You'll have to take lots of pics at all your destinations and let us know all the fun stuff you do along the way!!!
Joann

o

When we start to travel like this.. I intend to take lots and lots and lots of photos.. and share with my internet friends...
Thank you Jemdandy for sharing the info.... Bollinger Mill is only about 60 miles from his place in Fisk.. easy peasy day trip.. ...and Alley Millis just 85 miles.. another easy peasy day trip...

Larry loves war history and museums, etc... and so battlefields are his cup of tea.. We have some friends that do civil war re-enactments and have been invited to attend some of those with them.. .. and Larry said "Most definitely !!"..

We live quite close to Shiloh, and so one day we plan to go back there again to tour that battlefield.. Last time there, it started to rain.. so didn't get to see much.. but we did get to eat at a great eatery that did smoked catfish... deelish.. and worth the trip.. We would not have found it if it were not for the rain.. what a blessing eh??

Carolyn

o

I've driven US Hwy 61 from New Orleans to Minneapolis, and it mostly parallels the Mississippi. I highly recommend it - you will see a LOT of this country (both good and bad) and find some of the best restaurants you'd never otherwise know about.

Have fun!

o

Have a great trip, Carolyn. When Harry and I used to do that, we mainly centered our attention to the next best place to eat. :-) Lot's of great seafood on the Gulf Coast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here