Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe Sharing, October 2012

Posted by luckygardnr (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 0:40

I love bacon wrapped tenderloin. Adding the rub is just icing on the cake!

Bacon Roast Pork Tenderloin
Courtesy of Michael Smith

This beautiful pork tenderloin is wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with herbs. A quick, easy and incredibly delicious dish.

Yield: 2

Ingredients

1 pound pork tenderloin
3-4 slices of bacon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar (or your favourite sweet)
1 teaspoon herb or spice, dried thyme, fresh rosemary or ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon any mustard
lots of freshly cracked black pepper

Directions

Preheat your oven to 500 F. Turn on your convection fan if you have one. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.

Carefully slice off and remove the 'silverskin' (white coating) from the tenderloin, leaving any visible fat in place. In a small bowl whisk together the brown sugar, mustard and your preferred herb or spice. Using your hands, dip the tenderloin and coat well. Season it with pepper, then fold under the small end of the tenderloin so it doesn't overcook. Wrap the bacon all around, as tight as you can, with a slight overlap trying to have your starts and finishes on the underside. Secure the bacon by piercing through with a piece of dry spaghetti noodle and place on the prepared baking tray. Grind some more pepper over and bake to an internal temperature of 145 F, about 20 minutes.

Slice, serve and share!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe Sharing, October 2012

Kenny's Marinated Veggies

Dressing

1 to 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 to 2 Tablespoons salt
1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon water

Boil, cool and pour over veggies

Marinate at least four hours or overnight.

1 Small can tomatoes
1 Small can French Cut Green Beans
1 Bag frozen Petite Peas Thawed
1 Small jar Pimentos
1 Small can shoe peg corn

Drain all of the above

Add

1 Small to Medium Onion
1 Green Pepper
3 or 4 stalks of Celery
1 Cucumber, peeled and seeded

Dice all the above small. Put all together and pour the marinate over all the vegetables. Let marinate and serve.

Sue

o

With our Thanksgiving coming up this weekend, this is a staple at our dinner table. I've shared this recipe before, and other members have made it and loved it as well.

Turnip Puff

6 cups cubed turnips
2 tbsp. butter
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
salt and pepper and nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
2 tbsp. butter, melted

Cook turnip until tender. Drain and mash. Add butter and eggs. Beat well. (this much can be done the day ahead.)

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir into turnips.

Butter a casserole and put in turnip mixture; combine
crumbs and butter. Sprinkle on top. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until light brown.

o

It's that time to make my yearly pumpkin bread!
I've used this recipe for many a year!

Pumpkin bread
Makes 2 regular loaves or 4 mini.
Temp: 350
Baking time for 2 loaves 50-60 *mine is ready in 50
Mini loaves: 40-45 * mine 40
Ingredients
3 eggs
1 lb can pumpkin
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt or less
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
optional and I never use: 1/3 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup raisins
In large mixing bowl beat eggs, pumpkin, oil, water.
With whisk blend flour, sugar, soda, salt and spices.
Add flour to pumpkin mixture and mix well. I use my mixer. Stir in nuts/raisins if desired.
Bake in TWO 9x5x3 loaf pans that are greased and floured *I use Bakers spray.
When done, cool in pan on a rack, for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan.

o

Glender, you posted this recipe once before and now, it's my 'go-to' pumpkin bread recipe - everyone loves it!

o

Instead of using flour when greasing a pan, use sugar if you're baking a sweet item. My friend learned this trick when she worked in a bakery while in college.

o

DSC_9824

o

i haven't tried this, but it is on my menu for this week:

Shrimp Francesca (posted by milonek on allrecipes.com)

makes 4 servings
1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (8 ounce) can (8 to 10 count) artichoke hearts in water, drained
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon finely shredded imported Romano cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Arrange the shrimp in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Gently squeeze any excess liquid from the artichoke hearts, break the hearts into quarters, and arrange in spaces between the shrimp. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and parsley over the shrimp and artichoke hearts; sprinkle lemon juice over the crumbs.
Melt butter with garlic in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; drizzle the butter mixture over the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the top with Romano cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven until the crumbs and cheese brown lightly and the shrimp turn opaque and orange-pink in color, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot.

o

I've posted this before. It tastes like the soup at Olive Garden.

Zuppa Tuscana

1 lb. Italian sausage
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. white wine to deglaze the pan
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
2 c. fresh kale, chopped
3 c. chicken broth
2-1/2 c. water
1 c. heavy cream
Salt and pepper

Crumble the sausage into a large stockpot or Dutch oven and cook until well browned. Removed the sausage with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl; set aside. Add the chopped onion to the pan and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for a minute more, until just fragrant. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Add potatoes, kale, chicken broth and water. Return the sausage to the pot. Increase the heat to medium high, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer on medium low. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away.

o

I saw this recently, have not yet tried it, but definitely will. So quick and easy!

It's called Idaho Sunrise
I am going to just put the link below because it has step by step instructions with pictures.
Egg-Stuffed Baked Potatoes

Recipe inspired by The Village Cook

Ingredients

baked potatoes, slightly cooled

melted butter

kosher salt and black pepper

shredded cheese (cheddar, gruyere, fontina,

pepperjack, or other of your choice)

eggs

additional fillings of your choice: sauteed

vegetables, bacon or ham, etc.

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice a layer off the top of each potato. Use a

spoon to gently scoop out insides, leaving a thin

layer of potato against the skin and avoiding

puncturing the bottom. Reserve scooped potato

for another use.

Brush inside of each potato with melted butter

and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.

Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese into each

potato and add fillings as desired (vegetables,

diced meat, etc.) Fill each potato about 3/4 full.

Crack one egg into each potato. Sprinkle with a

little more salt and pepper. Top with additional

cheese and toppings if desired.

Place potatoes on a baking sheet and cook for

about 20 minutes. Egg whites should be set and yolks soft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Idaho Sunrise

o

Nicole, I grew up eating slumgullion! Weused hamburger in ours and it was SO GOOD! I'd forgotten all about it - good memories of eating - THANKS!

o

This recipe was in our newspaper this morning. I'll make it tomorrow before Harry drinks all the buttermilk :-) What I'm really interested in tasting is the cooked chocolate frosting!

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake (Tampa Bay Times)

2 eggs
1 c. oil
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. hot water
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. cocoa
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2-1/2 tsp. baking soda

Frosting:

1 c. water
1 c. sugar
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13" pan. Do not flour; set aside.

In a bowl, combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, hot water, vanilla, cocoa and sugar. Mix until well blended. Add flour, salt and baking soda and mix until combine. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Bake 45 minutes.

Frosting:

Prepare about 5 minutes before cake comes out of the oven. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine water, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt. Stir constantly until thickened to pudding consistency but still able to be poured. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Continue stirring until butter is incorporated.

Pour frosting over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Use a spatula to spread frosting to edges of cake. Serve warm.

o

Wow-I had to go to page 3 to find this.

I hadn't heard of this take on Rice Krispie squares. Harry will love them--they have peanut butter.

AVALANCHE BARS (No Bake)

12 oz bag of White Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 cups Rice Krispies
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips + 2 Tbsp for garnish.
Lightly grease a 9x9 pan

In microwave-safe bowl pour in white chips and heat on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir and continue in 30 second increments until chips are melted. Combine the peanut butter with the melted chips and add the krispies. Let cool approx 15 � 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so to help cool. Add the marshmallows and the mini chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Pour mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly, pressing lightly with the back of your spoon, but do not compact too much, otherwise they will get hard. Press the remaining chocolate chips into the top for garnish. When the bars are completely cooled cut into squares and enjoy!

o

Thanks for the Zuppa Tuscana recipe, Patti. It is my favorite soup.

o

You're welcome, mammie. I used spinach instead of kale because that's what I had, but it tasted just like Olive Garden. Beware of those red pepper flakes, though. It was plenty spicy.

o

I've made Zuppa Toscana several times. It's my favorite soup too. Don't forget to remove the ribs on the kale if you use kale.

o

Thanks, Marilyn. I was wondering about the ribs and you've answered my question.

o

I just finished putting this together, for our Thanksgiving dinner today. It's the only way I do dressing now.

Slow-Cooker Stuffing/Dressing

1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
12 cups dry bread cubes
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 1/2 cups chicken broth, or as needed
2 eggs, beaten

Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs.

Spray slow-cooker with non-stick spray and transfer mixture to slow cooker.
Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for about 4 hours.

o

Oh boy, Jasdip--I'm definitely using your recipe/method for our Thanksgiving. Have you ever put all the ingredients together the day before and refrigerated them? If so, is the cooking time the same? I thank you in advance--and can almost smell it cooking!

This recipe reminds me of Glenda!

ALABAMA FIRE CRACKERS (The South in my Mouth)

1 cup vegetable oil
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
3 tablespoons red pepper flakes (crushed)
1 pound Ritz crackers

Whisk the vegetable oil, dressing mixes and red pepper flakes in a bowl to combine thoroughly. Put the mixture in a 2-gallon plastic zipper bag. Place the crackers in the bag, seal, and turn the bag over to cover the crackers with the spice mix. Let the bag sit for about 1 hour, then turn again. Repeat several more times until the crackers are well-coated with spice mix, and allow the bag to sit refrigerated overnight. Remove crackers and serve.

Zesty dip:

16 ounces sour cream
1 package taco seasoning mix
Combine thoroughly and chill for at least an hour.

o

I posted this last year but think it bears repeating.
This is my all time favorite cake.

APPLE CIDER POUND CAKE

3 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups butter, softened
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup apple cider
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

ICING:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions for the cake
In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs,
one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir together all dry
ingredients; set aside. Combine cider and vanilla. Add dry ingredients
alternately with cider mixture to batter. Mix until well blended. Spoon into a
greased 10-in. angel food cake pan or fluted tube pan.

Bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
center comes out clean.

Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat and simmer for 10 minutes. While cake is warm, drizzle half of icing over
cake. Serve remaining icing over individual cake servings if desired.
This year the apple cider I had was not very tasty so I reduced two cups down to one cup....it didn't take long on the stove top and I think I will always do it when I make this recipe.

o

That cider pound cake is in my holiday folder....love it!

o

I made this yesterday and it's the best corn casserole I've ever tasted and it takes no time to put together. Much better than the recipes using cornbread, IMHO. This will be on our table for Thanksgiving.

CORN CASSEROLE

1 can corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar (I used 2 Tbsp. and it was plenty)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup milk
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients together. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes. This recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled, but you may need to increase the baking time accordingly.
Note: It needs to set up a bit before serving.

o

Patti, I would assemble all of the ingredients ahead of time.....except for the liquids.....chicken stock and eggs.
I'd mix it with the liquids just before putting it into the slow cooker.

o

Thanks, Jas! It takes so long in the oven so that will be a big help. I usually put my dressing together the day before and refrigerate. I really like your recipe. I don't really have one, so the end product can be iffy, but it's usually okay because I learned from watching mother.

Here's a recipe I want to try. We've got to get back on our one-meatless-meal-a-week plan. This isn't meatless, but darned close.

SPAGHETTI SQUASH ITALIANO

1 spaghetti squash (2-3 lb. cooked, cooled slightly and scraped)
4 oz. bacon, fried and crumbled
1 Tbsp. butter (I will use part olive oil)
1-1/2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 c. fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. Romano or Parmesan cheese (I'd use more)

Place squash and bacon in a bowl. Melt butter in a small skillet and cook garlic over medium heat until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add to spaghetti squash along with parsley. Toss to mix and season to taste with salt and pepper.

o

After my disaster with the last crockpot dessert I tried, I'd about given up. But I'll try this one--hey, would Martha Stewart steer us wrong?

CROCKPOT TRIPLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES (Martha Stewart)

Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup walnut halves, coarsely chopped
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)

Lightly coat a 5-quart slow-cooker insert with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper and lightly coat with spray. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.

Place butter and chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted. Add sugar; stir to combine. Stir in eggs. Add flour mixture, walnuts, and chocolate chips and stir just until moistened (do not overmix). Transfer to slow cooker and smooth top.

Cover and cook on low, 3 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook 30 minutes. Remove insert from slow cooker and run a knife around edge to loosen brownies. Let cool completely in insert on a wire rack, about 2 hours. Turn out onto a work surface and cut into 14 brownies.

o

Mini Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Icing

Ingredients:

1-8oz tube crescent roll dough

2 Tablespoons butter

cinnamon

brown sugar

For the maple icing:

1 teaspoon maple syrup

1 Tablespoon skim milk

3/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven according to crescent roll dough package directions. Layout half the dough (4 triangles) and pinch all the seams together. Flip over and pinch the seams on the back side together too.

2. Using a rolling pin, smooth the seams and roll the dough into a square about 1/4″ thick. Brush with half the butter, and sprinkle with as much cinnamon and brown sugar as you want. Roll into a log and cut into 8 pieces.

3. Place mini cinnamon rolls into a non-stick sprayed mini muffin tin. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the other half of the crescent roll dough. Bake according to package directions.

4. Meanwhile whisk together maple syrup and milk in a bowl. Add in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls.

o

Apple season is here, and this was soooo good we could smell it coming up the walk after school, lots of friends wanted to come in on those days!!

APPLE PUFFINS
CREAM:
1/4 cup of shortening until fluffy
1 beaten egg
1 tsp vanilla

SIFT:
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon or more to taste
1/4 tsp nutmeg
( I have also added apple pie spice to mine instead of the above)

MIX:
the dry ingredients into the batter just so it it mixed

ADD:
1 and 1/2 cups of chopped apple of your choice and 1 tbsp cream

Fill greased muffin tins 1/2 full
Bake @ 350� F for approx 30 min, or until done and golden

LEMON SAUCE
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
1/8 tsp salt
1tbsp grated lemon rind
1 cup boiling water
1 tbsp butter
juice of the lemon

cook on low heat until thickened stirring well, add some lemon juice and the butter spoon over warm "puffins"

o

No sugar?
Sounds tasty but I wonder about not having any sweetener.

o

ooppppppppppps spell checker does not put in left out ingredients so sorry about that .....after creaming shortening add 3/4 cup of sugar then eggs etc

o

LEMON CHERRY LOAF

Cream:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp of vanilla
rind of one lemon

Sift:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Add:
1/2 cup milk (alternatly with the dry ingredients) into
the sugar egg mix

Fold in:

1/4 cup red cherries chopped
1/4 cup green cherries chopped
1/2 cup walnuts chopped (optional)

Bake for one hour in a greased loaf pan at 350F

o

Toasted Coconut-Golden Oreo Truffles

What You Need
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
32 Golden OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
1-1/2 cups BAKER'S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut, toasted, divided
2 pkg. (6 squares each) BAKER'S White Chocolate, melted
Make It

MIX cream cheese, cookie crumbs and 1 cup coconut until well blended.

SHAPE into 42 (1-inch) balls. Dip in melted chocolate; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.

REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm.

o

I dont like the monthly format wiah it would go to weekly

o

I agree with you, minnie. A weekly format would be much, much better, IMO.

How do you others feel about this?

o

I just got this off a Yahoo Group. It sure looks good to me!

Slow Cooker Country Cider Pot Roast

2 tsp salad oil
4 lb beef eye of round roast
2 medium size onions, cut into eighths
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 Tbsp light molasses
2 Tbsp cornstarch blended with 2 Tbsp water

Heat oil in wide nonstick frying pan over medium high heat; add beef and brown well on all sides.

Meanwhile, in 4 quart or larger slow cooker, combine onions, celery, and garlic; sprinkle with allspice, ginger, and pepper.

In a small bowl, mix cider and molasses. Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour in cider mixture.

Cover and cook at low setting until beef is very tender when pierced (9.5-10 hours). Lift roast to a warm platter and keep warm. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Blend in cornstarch mixture.

Increase heat to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, until sauce is thickened (about 15 minutes). Serve meat sliced and with sauce spooned over.

o

Does anyone want to take up the gauntlet for weekly? I agree that monthly is too long a time, but am not willing to continue more than monthly.

o

This thread was good in September but it seems now a lot of conversations about recipes keep popping up on other threads. When I suggested this as a monthly post when no one was willing to take over the task of doing it, I thought maybe all food related stuff might come here as the thread was so popular before and it would save us going all over looking for items food related that we might all want to try. Posts for how do you?....or do you have? or I had something very nice last nite... does anyone have the recipe? Those with limited time on the computer would just look for recipes of the month and find it all in one place. There certainly are not a lot of contributions to the post this month, and a few negatives but if you don't contribute why post that it should be changed? Luckygardnr did an amazing job all that time and that certainly took dedication to have a post here each and everyday. Even when she wasn't here she had it covered by someone. Now it is sometimes on the third page of looking before you find the thread. I agree it may get long but five contributors throughout the day would keep it front page.

o

I don't contribute often, but I like the monthly set up. It's easy to find. Even if it falls off the first page, it's easy enough to search for Recipe Sharing Month 2012. I would forget about a recipe and when it was posted that I wanted to try before. I don't always have time to c/p something I see. I appreciate all your hard work Luckygardner! Thanks. I even check the box for copies of the post to be mailed to me so I remember to check for new recipes!

o

I would be willing to take up the weekly gauntlet. Just tell me what I need to do, please.

o

Walnutcreek, I'd be so happy to have you take on the thread. I've been doing it so long, and it's hard to come up with something new and exciting, let alone something tried and true. When you do it every day, there is no way you can come up with tried and true everytime. But once a week gives each of us incentive to try something new. Then you can post it, give your opinions on it, what you would do different the next time. Easy peasy!

Email me at the address on my page and I would be happy to give you some of the cooking websites I use. And I would be happy to cover for you if you were to be away.

Laurel (aka luckygardnr)

o

I very seldom come here to look at the recipes or post since it is a monthly one. The reason being simply that with dial up it takes way too long to load in. I had to wait some minutes for it to load in this time. I will only come to view when there are just a few recipes, not a big long list. Just my reason.

Sue

o

I like the monthly set up. It's so much easier to go back and search by month rather then 30 different days.

o

This is a recipe you can throw together when you come from the grocery store. Put in a ziplock bag & then into the freezer. Cook at a later date.

Cranberry Chicken Breasts

4 boneless chicken breasts
8 oz. Catalina dressing
1 package of dry onion soup mix
one 1lb. can whole cranberry sauce

Mix together dressing, onion mix, and cranberry sauce. Freeze chicken and mixture in bag. On serving day, thaw completely, place chicken mixture in greased baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours uncovered

o

Walnutcreek, I just sent you an email!

o

This sounds good--not so healthy but it has bacon :-)

BACON CHEDDAR CHICKEN RICE BAKE (What�s Cooking in the Burbs)

4 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion , chopped (about 1 cup)
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3-1/2 cups chicken stock
3-1/2 cups milk
1-1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
3 cups cooked chicken , cubed (can use Rotisserie)
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat and cook onions until translucent. Add garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper. Add flour and mix well. Cook until starting to color. Stir milk and stock into flour mixture.Turn heat to medium high and add one cup cheese and continue to whisk as mixture comes to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add rice and lower heat to medium low. Cook until the rice absorbs most of the liquid and is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add chicken and bacon to the rice and sauce mixture. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 inch casserole. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar on top of the casserole. Place in oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling.

o

nodakgal
Just copied Cranberry Chicken Breasts to my files. It is almost cold enough to turn the oven on and it sounds delicious

o

and I copied Patti's Bacon Cheddar Chicken!

Cocktail Meatballs
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup chili sauce
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup onions (chopped fine)
1/2 cup cornflakes (crushed)
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Sauce
16oz beer
1/3lb brown sugar
1/2 bottle chili sauce
Mix hamburger,onion,cornflakes, chili sauce, salt,pepper, worcestershire sauce and evaporated milk. Make into small balls. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Sauce:Bring to boil beer, brown sugar and chili sauce and add meatballs.

o

AngelaID asked for my slow-cooker pork recipe. I've posted it here before and members have made it and loved it. So here it is again.

It does call for marinating overnite first, but I'm not 100% sure that it is absolutely necessary.

Slow-Cooker Sesame Pork Roast

1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider or white vinegar
4 green onions, sliced
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

Place roast in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish.

In a bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, sesame seeds, molasses, vinegar, onions, garlic powder and cayenne. Pour half over the roast, marinate overnight. Reserve remaining marinade.

Drain pork, discarding marinade. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the reserved marinade. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce temperature to low; cook 8-9 hours longer or until meat is tender.

Remove the roast and keep warm. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cooking juices. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with the roast.

o

Awesome!! Thank you! And, for once, I have all the ingredients on hand except green onions. Easy enough.

o

I've never added the green onions, as I never have them on hand. They aren't necessary, Angela.

o

Pumpkin Pie Chex Mix

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups Cinnamon Chex Cereal

2 cups Wheat Chex Cereal

2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal

8 oz pecans
Directions:

1. In small bowl, mix brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice; set aside. In small microwave-safe dish, microwave butter on High about 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in vanilla. In large microwavable bowl, mix all cereals and pecans. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly distributed. Add sugar and spice mixture and stir until coated.

2. Microwave uncovered on High 5 minutes or until mixture begins to brown, stirring every minute. Spread on wax paper or a cookie sheet to cool. Store in airtight container.

o

These are fantastic!

Peanut Butter Bars

Peanut butter is a favorite food of kids of all ages, so bake up a batch of these yummy peanut butter bars today. Start with a cake mix, add chunky peanut butter and a couple other ingredients then get ready for the applause!

Serves: 24
Ingredients

1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 (10-ounce) package peanut butter chips
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350�F.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, peanut butter, and butter; mix well. Press half the mixture onto bottom of an ungreased 9" x 13" baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.

Remove peanut butter base from oven, top with peanut butter chips, and drizzle with sweetened condensed milk. Crumble remaining peanut butter mixture then sprinkle over top. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden.

Allow to cool completely then cut into bars.

o

Well, stopped and got green onions. Got home, no molassas. Used syrup. Should be interesting! LOL

o

LOL Angela. That will be interesting! I use molasses in my bran muffins and a couple of slow cooker recipes, so I always have it.

o

I *just* made ginger bread. I know darn good and well there is almost a full bottle of molassas there. I'll open the cupboard after dinner tonight and it will be staring me right in the face! Guaranteed! LOL

o

I had to go searching for this it was on page 3 we need to try to keep it closer to front page so we continue to get those good recipes!!

I came across this one on a website and it sounds wonderful and the remarks at the bottom of the page said it was wonderful.
thing is I have never cooked or eaten Quinoa so any one that has cooked it and has tips please let me know because she does not even go over how to cook it in the recipe.

Quinoa with Corn and Scallions

Yield: 8 servings

Prep Time: 20 min

Cook Time: 20 min
Ingredients:

4 ears corn, shucked
1 Tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter, melted
1 Tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups uncooked quinoa
4 scallions, chopped
Directions:

Place the corn in a large pot and fill it with enough water to cover the corn. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, turn off the heat and let the pot stand, covered, for 5 minutes.

Remove the corn from the pot and let it cool on a cutting board until it's easy to handle. Then, using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off the cob.

Prepare the dressing by whisking together the lemon zest, lemon juice, melted butter, honey, salt and pepper in a large bowl.

Rinse the uncooked quinoa in a sieve under cold water until the water runs clear.

Cook the quinoa in a pot of of boiling salted water per the package directions.

Add the quinoa, corn kernels and chopped scallions to the bowl with the dressing and toss until it's evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Quinoa with Corn and Scallions

o

At first I thought this recipe didn't sound like a dip, but the longer I read it the better I like it!

HOT CORN DIP (Trisha Yearwood)

2 (11 ounce) cans of Mexicorn/Fiesta Corn, drained
2 (7 ounce) cans of chopped green chiles, drained
2 tablespoons of chopped, pickled jalapeno
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
2/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes, or to taste, optional
Corn chips, for dipping

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Mix together everything but the corn chips in a large bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges. Serve warm with the corn chips. Can put corn mixture in a 4-quart crockpot and cook covered on high for about an hour, or on low until warmed through and bubbly. Hold over low to keep warm.

o

oh Patti I think that sounds awesome! I would have to leave out the jalapenos and let people add those separately I just am not into super hot pepper stuff. (I know hard to believe me being Cajun and all I but my stomach does protest)
But over all that sounds like a winner and could make a meal out of that almost like a frito pie.

o

Gave the Appleless Apple Pie its own thread since it was more of a novelty recipe.
not trying to boycott this one

o

SNICKERS BARS COOKIES
Cookie Bars made with SNICKERS Brand Bars.
1 tube chocolate chip cookie dough
6 regular size SNICKERS bars, cut up
Spread cookie dough in ungreased 9 x 13 pan and bake for 10 minutes. Spread candy bars on top and bake another 10 minutes and spread around.

o

One of my DD's made this and said it is awesome!!

I haven't tried it yet, but plan to make it soon.

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
adapted from the Sister's Cafe

Ingredients:
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
8-10 flour tortillas, (I use the soft taco tortillas because they fit perfectly in the pan)
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
2 cups green enchilada sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the honey (their tip: spray your measuring spoon with cooking spray before measuring out the honey), lime juice, chili powder and garlic powder together and toss with the shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour (or toss together in a Ziploc bag and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours).
Spray a 9X13 pan and a 9X9 pan with cooking spray. Pour enough enchilada sauce on the bottom of each baking pan to create a thin layer on the bottom. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and a generous amount of shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas.
Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover chicken marinade (you might not need to use all of the enchilada sauce depending on how saucy you like yours). Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and top with reserved cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top. I served mine with sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro lime rice and black beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

o

OMG, Nodakgal, Harry would just love those cookies. Myself, I'd like them with dark chocolate Milky Ways. Either way, I've got to try those.

Don't you wonder how people make up recipes? That's what I was thinking when I read this one.

SALTED CARAMEL RICE KRISPIE TREATS (A Cozy Kitchen)

1/2 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of butter
1 package (or 10 oz.) of marshmallows
6 cups of Rice Krispies

Combine sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a medium saucepan. Do not stir. Cook over medium-high heat to a dark caramel, swirling as it begins to brown to distribute the sugar. While the sugar and water are cooking, heat the cream in a saucepan or microwave just until warm. Take off the heat and add your room temperature butter. Whisk the butter in, being sure it�s totally combined. Add your warmed cream and whisk vigorously. Set aside.

In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and add the caramel and stir until thoroughly combined. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares.

o

nodakgal, thanks so much for that Cranberry Chicken recipe! I made it today it was delicious!!!!

o

You're welcome Mary! I'm glad you liked it. I have chicken on the menu this week and am going to make it too!

o

I'm getting in the mood for breakfast for dinner and that always includes pancakes. Going to try this. It got rave reviews on the blog.

IHOP PANCAKES (Cookin� Up North)

1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/4 c. sugar

Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder,and salt. Mix the egg with the buttermilk and add to the flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Add melted butter and sugar. Fry on a greased griddle. Serves 4.

o

Patti, I seldom have buttermilk but I always seem to have sour cream on hand.
I make these often and oh, they are to die for. If I make the whole recipe, we have enough left over to freeze. Sometimes I cut the recipe in half for a meal.

Sour Cream Pancakes (Chatelaine)

2 tbsp butter
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup regular or light sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Microwave 2 tbsp butter until melted.

In a large bowl stir flour with sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
In a medium bowl whisk eggs with milk, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla. Pour into flour and stir with a fork just until moistened.

Immediately melt 1 tsp butter in a large skillet or griddle. Use 1/4 cup to pour batter.

o

I made this one night and made one to freeze. Both were great!

Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole

1 32-oz. bag shredded hash browns
1 onion, minced
salt and pepper
1 lb hamburger, browned
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
1 15-oz. can or bag of peas, drained and thawed
1 C. milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C. sour cream
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 can French-fried onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle the hash browns in the bottom of the pan. Layer hamburger, salt, pepper, garlic and onion (brown all these things together). Sprinkle peas on top. Mix soup, milk and sour cream. Pour over the peas. Top with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Sprinkle w/fried onions and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until onions are browned and crispy

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe link

o

I just posted this on the eggs link but I will post it here too. Take leftover pasta and fry it in the pan just to heat it and put eggs over it and scramble it together. You can add onions and/or greenpeppers if you want. Don't knock it until you try it.
Here's another one: cook macaroni and add a can of tomatoes to it. Add a little sugar. It is so good.

o

Here's a recipe for sauerkraut lovers--especially Jasdip ;-)

Reuben Dip

1 cup corned beef (Carl Buddig) chopped
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup sauerkraut (drained)
1 cup mayo

Mix together in a crock pot and heat until bubbly. Serve with rye crackers or toasted pumpernickel cocktail bread).

o

I must try your turnip recipe Jasdip,my sister in law comes for dinner every Wednesday and turnip is one of her favourite veg. Over here though we use a lot of swede turnips..do you think it would still work?

Karen UK

o

Hi Karen,
I googled Swede Turnip and they are rutabagas. That's what I use. I don't use the white and purple turnip. I use rutabagas, but call them turnips :) Just to confuse people! Kidding.

Let us know how you and your sister-in-law liked it Karen!

o
RE:: Recipe Sharing, October 2012

Do you use an Aga Karen? I don't know why, but they fascinate me.....

o

Pumpkin Bread Mix..very good, quick and easy

3 Cups Bisquick..I'm sure Pioneer or any other bisquick type mix will do.
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves....

Use to make the loaf below or store to use later...

That's the whole mix. If you intend to use it right away, just put all of this in a bowl...if you are making a gift jar, layer each item by item into a wide mouth jar.

Recipe for Pumpkin Bread

1 jar Pumpkin Bread of Mix
1 (16 oz.) can solid Pack Pumpkin
2 eggs
1 Cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees....In a large bowl combine the Pumpkin Bread Mix with the pumpkin, eggs and nuts. Stir until the miixture is well blended. Spoon the batter into 1 large greased loaf pan for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean....or bake for 45 minutes in 2 smaller loaf pans. Cool on a wire rack before removing.

o

I hope we have a thread for each week in November

o

We will, Minnie.

o

Meant to put a link to this 1st week in November.

Here is a link that might be useful: November Week 1

o

Oh Ruthie I copied that pumpkin bread! It sounds good! Will try it soon. Thank you!

o

Sorry but I personally think that the name of the post needs to stay the same as it has been it will be very confusing with it not called the recipe thread.
If a tips thread is wanted that should be a different post.
I had no idea where to go for the recipe thread today, I would never have thought it should be in a tips post.
Why would the name have to change, just put the date on it with recipe sharing.

o

Oh we have to keep the Recipe thread the same name!!

Tips can be one thread, and recipes another. We can add to the tips as we think of them, and add to the recipes.
I'm going to make this thread a shortcut, so that all the recipes are in one spot, into my folder.

o

Even more confusing is that in past two weeks recipes are all over the board as if this thread just didn't exist for the past couple of months. I thought the main reason was for those wanting to try recipes could come to one place and get them or give out their own favorites. Also any kudoos or negatives about what they try. As far as this post being too long and hard to get loaded it is not any worse than the birthday wishes or any other that post pictures or gifs.

o

Okay. I must have misunderstood the directions I received regarding naming and posting the threads. Will adjust to hopefully satisfy everyone.

o

Threejs, if you post daily for 2 or 3 years, it's hard to come up with a tried and true recipe every day. I've noticed my cookbook has several of the same recipe because we forget we've posted it after a year or so and post it again.

That's why a lot of us post recipes that we haven't tried. Some of us post every day just to keep interest up and, hopefully, keep it on the front page.

o

Patti that's not what I was trying to get across, sorry it seemed that way. I just meant keeping all of the recipe items in a thead made it so easy to look for recipes of the month when you wanted to find something you didn't have time to copy when you first read it or to see if someone else had posted something new. Many times I just run in to see if I have all the ingredients and if not I come back to get the recipe after I have them. I personally do not care if they are tried and true but if they are I really appreciated the poster telling us so and what changes they thought would improve or shortcuts that may have helped in making it happen. I started posting everyday too but there were only about five that posted a recipe, and then nothing and the recipe thread of the month would disappear to the next page because no one posted on it, but there were still recipes in other threads that generated conversations, and that was what I was hoping this recipe thread would achieve. By the way your what's for supper is a great thread, many times the following night supper is determined by someone's posting. Don't know how to 'splain it I guess, hope this made sense.

o

Threejs, I think the new weekly post will work pretty well. I do the same thing--go check for ingredients and then the phone rings or something, and I forget to go back. I think most of us try to say we've either tried the recipe or not--at least I've noticed it.

There are so many good-sounding recipes on the internet. I want to try them all ;-) Plus, we have so darned many good cooks and bakers right here at the KT. Almost all the recipes I make over and over again are from friends right here.

You know what? I do the same thing with the dinner thread. Right now I'm craving a BLT!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here