SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

Recipe Sharing, October 2012

luckygardnr
11 years ago

I love bacon wrapped tenderloin. Adding the rub is just icing on the cake!

Bacon Roast Pork Tenderloin

Courtesy of Michael Smith

This beautiful pork tenderloin is wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with herbs. A quick, easy and incredibly delicious dish.

Yield: 2

Ingredients

1 pound pork tenderloin

3-4 slices of bacon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon brown sugar (or your favourite sweet)

1 teaspoon herb or spice, dried thyme, fresh rosemary or ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon any mustard

lots of freshly cracked black pepper

Directions

Preheat your oven to 500 F. Turn on your convection fan if you have one. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.

Carefully slice off and remove the 'silverskin' (white coating) from the tenderloin, leaving any visible fat in place. In a small bowl whisk together the brown sugar, mustard and your preferred herb or spice. Using your hands, dip the tenderloin and coat well. Season it with pepper, then fold under the small end of the tenderloin so it doesn't overcook. Wrap the bacon all around, as tight as you can, with a slight overlap trying to have your starts and finishes on the underside. Secure the bacon by piercing through with a piece of dry spaghetti noodle and place on the prepared baking tray. Grind some more pepper over and bake to an internal temperature of 145 F, about 20 minutes.

Slice, serve and share!

Comments (82)

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

I just got this off a Yahoo Group. It sure looks good to me!

Slow Cooker Country Cider Pot Roast

2 tsp salad oil
    4 lb beef eye of round roast
    2 medium size onions, cut into eighths
    1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    1 tsp ground allspice
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 cup apple cider or apple juice
    2 Tbsp light molasses
    2 Tbsp cornstarch blended with 2 Tbsp water

Heat oil in wide nonstick frying pan over medium high heat; add beef and brown well on all sides.

Meanwhile, in 4 quart or larger slow cooker, combine onions, celery, and garlic; sprinkle with allspice, ginger, and pepper.

In a small bowl, mix cider and molasses. Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour in cider mixture.

Cover and cook at low setting until beef is very tender when pierced (9.5-10 hours). Lift roast to a warm platter and keep warm. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Blend in cornstarch mixture.

Increase heat to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, until sauce is thickened (about 15 minutes). Serve meat sliced and with sauce spooned over.

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does anyone want to take up the gauntlet for weekly? I agree that monthly is too long a time, but am not willing to continue more than monthly.

• Related Discussions

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, August 31, 2012

Q

Comments (3)
    I love apple cake. Do you think a little cinnamon would enhance this recipe or not? CARAMEL APPLE CAKE (Paula Deen recipe from The Charm of Home) 2 1/2 cups sugar 3 eggs 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil 3 cups all-purpose flour 2 tsp. vanilla 1 cup chopped walnuts 2 1/2 cups diced apples, canned or fresh Preheat oven 350 degrees. Cream together sugar, eggs, and oil. Add flour; mix together until well blended. Add vanilla, nuts, and diced apples. Spread into a lightly greased and floured 13 x 9-inch baking dish; bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. When cake is done, punch holes in it with a knife and pour topping over. Caramel Topping: (I cut all of this recipe in half, it was just way too much butter and sugar.) This is the cut in half version. 1 1/2 stick of butter 1 cup of brown sugar 1/8 cup of milk Heat all ingredients together over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for about 2 minutes. Pour over warm cake. Serves 15-20
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, August 23, 2012

Q

Comments (3)
    Jerk Chicken with Cornbread (Real Simple) 2 bunches scallions, trimmed 2 tablespoons paprika 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil juice of 1/2 lime 2 tablespoons molasses 1 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces 1 8.5-ounce box corn muffin mix 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced lime wedges (optional) Heat oven to 400 F. Thinly slice the dark green tips of 4 scallions; set aside. Place the remaining scallions in a roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, allspice, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, black pepper, oil, lime juice, and molasses. Spread the spice mixture over and under the chicken skin. Place the chicken on top of the scallions. Roast until the chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package directions. Stir in the jalapeno and reserved sliced scallions and scrape the batter into a greased 8-inch-square pan. Place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve the chicken with the roasted scallions, corn bread, and lime wedges, if desired. **For more intense heat, rub the spice mixture over the chicken and marinate several hours in the frig.
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, August 30, 2012

Q

Comments (4)
    Best cake I have ever made is this one..... APPLE CIDER POUND CAKE 3 cups sugar 1-1/2 cups butter, softened 6 eggs 3 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 1 cup apple cider 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ICING: 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 cup butter, cubed 1/4 cup buttermilk 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 teaspoon baking soda Directions In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir together all dry ingredients; set aside. Combine cider and vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with cider mixture to batter. Mix until well blended. Spoon into a greased 10-in. angel food cake pan or fluted tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. While cake is warm, drizzle half of icing over cake. Serve remaining icing over individual cake servings if desired.
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 1, 2012

Q

Comments (3)
    100-Calorie Pumpkin Pie Tartlets Prep: 15 mins Cooking: 25 mins Level: Easy Cooling: 60 mins Yields: 16 servings Looking for that great taste of pumpkin pie without the guilt of overindulging? Now you can, with these 100-Calorie Pumpkin Pie Tartlets. This satisfying treat is the perfect size to snack on by itself or enjoy as an elegant finish to the perfect meal. Ingredients 16 (2 1/2-inch) foil baking cups Nonstick cooking spray 3/4 cup granulated sugar 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 large egg whites 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLE'S CARNATION Evaporated Fat Free Milk 1 cup fat free whipped topping 12 small gingersnap cookies, broken into 1/4-inch pieces Directions PREHEAT oven to 350 F. Place baking cups on baking sheet with sides. Spray each cup with cooking spray. COMBINE sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl. Beat egg whites in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mixture into each prepared cup. BAKE for 25 to 28 minutes or until knife inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet for 20 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Top each with whipped topping and gingersnap crumbs. Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Pie Tarts
    ...See More
  • threejs
    11 years ago

This thread was good in September but it seems now a lot of conversations about recipes keep popping up on other threads. When I suggested this as a monthly post when no one was willing to take over the task of doing it, I thought maybe all food related stuff might come here as the thread was so popular before and it would save us going all over looking for items food related that we might all want to try. Posts for how do you?....or do you have? or I had something very nice last nite... does anyone have the recipe? Those with limited time on the computer would just look for recipes of the month and find it all in one place. There certainly are not a lot of contributions to the post this month, and a few negatives but if you don't contribute why post that it should be changed? Luckygardnr did an amazing job all that time and that certainly took dedication to have a post here each and everyday. Even when she wasn't here she had it covered by someone. Now it is sometimes on the third page of looking before you find the thread. I agree it may get long but five contributors throughout the day would keep it front page.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

I don't contribute often, but I like the monthly set up. It's easy to find. Even if it falls off the first page, it's easy enough to search for Recipe Sharing Month 2012. I would forget about a recipe and when it was posted that I wanted to try before. I don't always have time to c/p something I see. I appreciate all your hard work Luckygardner! Thanks. I even check the box for copies of the post to be mailed to me so I remember to check for new recipes!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I would be willing to take up the weekly gauntlet. Just tell me what I need to do, please.

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Walnutcreek, I'd be so happy to have you take on the thread. I've been doing it so long, and it's hard to come up with something new and exciting, let alone something tried and true. When you do it every day, there is no way you can come up with tried and true everytime. But once a week gives each of us incentive to try something new. Then you can post it, give your opinions on it, what you would do different the next time. Easy peasy!

Email me at the address on my page and I would be happy to give you some of the cooking websites I use. And I would be happy to cover for you if you were to be away.

Laurel (aka luckygardnr)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

I very seldom come here to look at the recipes or post since it is a monthly one. The reason being simply that with dial up it takes way too long to load in. I had to wait some minutes for it to load in this time. I will only come to view when there are just a few recipes, not a big long list. Just my reason.

Sue

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

I like the monthly set up. It's so much easier to go back and search by month rather then 30 different days.

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

This is a recipe you can throw together when you come from the grocery store. Put in a ziplock bag & then into the freezer. Cook at a later date.

Cranberry Chicken Breasts

4 boneless chicken breasts
    8 oz. Catalina dressing
    1 package of dry onion soup mix
    one 1lb. can whole cranberry sauce

Mix together dressing, onion mix, and cranberry sauce. Freeze chicken and mixture in bag. On serving day, thaw completely, place chicken mixture in greased baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours uncovered

• luckygardnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Walnutcreek, I just sent you an email!

• patti43
    11 years ago

This sounds good--not so healthy but it has bacon :-)

BACON CHEDDAR CHICKEN RICE BAKE (What�s Cooking in the Burbs)

4 tablespoons butter
    1 medium onion , chopped (about 1 cup)
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 teaspoon seasoning salt
    1 teaspoon Kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3-1/2 cups chicken stock
    3-1/2 cups milk
    1-1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
    3 cups cooked chicken , cubed (can use Rotisserie)
    1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
    1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat and cook onions until translucent. Add garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper. Add flour and mix well. Cook until starting to color. Stir milk and stock into flour mixture.Turn heat to medium high and add one cup cheese and continue to whisk as mixture comes to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add rice and lower heat to medium low. Cook until the rice absorbs most of the liquid and is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add chicken and bacon to the rice and sauce mixture. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 inch casserole. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar on top of the casserole. Place in oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

nodakgal
    Just copied Cranberry Chicken Breasts to my files. It is almost cold enough to turn the oven on and it sounds delicious

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

and I copied Patti's Bacon Cheddar Chicken!

Cocktail Meatballs
    1 lb ground beef
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup chili sauce
    1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup onions (chopped fine)
    1/2 cup cornflakes (crushed)
    1/2 cup evaporated milk

Sauce
    16oz beer
    1/3lb brown sugar
    1/2 bottle chili sauce
    Mix hamburger,onion,cornflakes, chili sauce, salt,pepper, worcestershire sauce and evaporated milk. Make into small balls. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
    Sauce:Bring to boil beer, brown sugar and chili sauce and add meatballs.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

AngelaID asked for my slow-cooker pork recipe. I've posted it here before and members have made it and loved it. So here it is again.

It does call for marinating overnite first, but I'm not 100% sure that it is absolutely necessary.

Slow-Cooker Sesame Pork Roast

1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
    1/4 cup molasses
    1/4 cup cider or white vinegar
    4 green onions, sliced
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/4 cup cold water

Place roast in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish.

In a bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, sesame seeds, molasses, vinegar, onions, garlic powder and cayenne. Pour half over the roast, marinate overnight. Reserve remaining marinade.

Drain pork, discarding marinade. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the reserved marinade. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce temperature to low; cook 8-9 hours longer or until meat is tender.

Remove the roast and keep warm. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cooking juices. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with the roast.

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Awesome!! Thank you! And, for once, I have all the ingredients on hand except green onions. Easy enough.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

I've never added the green onions, as I never have them on hand. They aren't necessary, Angela.

• ruthieg__tx
    11 years ago

Pumpkin Pie Chex Mix

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups Cinnamon Chex Cereal

2 cups Wheat Chex Cereal

2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal

8 oz pecans
    Directions:

1. In small bowl, mix brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice; set aside. In small microwave-safe dish, microwave butter on High about 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in vanilla. In large microwavable bowl, mix all cereals and pecans. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly distributed. Add sugar and spice mixture and stir until coated.

2. Microwave uncovered on High 5 minutes or until mixture begins to brown, stirring every minute. Spread on wax paper or a cookie sheet to cool. Store in airtight container.

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

These are fantastic!

Peanut Butter Bars

Peanut butter is a favorite food of kids of all ages, so bake up a batch of these yummy peanut butter bars today. Start with a cake mix, add chunky peanut butter and a couple other ingredients then get ready for the applause!

Serves: 24
    Ingredients

1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup chunky peanut butter
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
    1 (10-ounce) package peanut butter chips
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350�F.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, peanut butter, and butter; mix well. Press half the mixture onto bottom of an ungreased 9" x 13" baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.

Remove peanut butter base from oven, top with peanut butter chips, and drizzle with sweetened condensed milk. Crumble remaining peanut butter mixture then sprinkle over top. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden.

Allow to cool completely then cut into bars.

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Well, stopped and got green onions. Got home, no molassas. Used syrup. Should be interesting! LOL

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

LOL Angela. That will be interesting! I use molasses in my bran muffins and a couple of slow cooker recipes, so I always have it.

• angelaid
    11 years ago

I *just* made ginger bread. I know darn good and well there is almost a full bottle of molassas there. I'll open the cupboard after dinner tonight and it will be staring me right in the face! Guaranteed! LOL

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I had to go searching for this it was on page 3 we need to try to keep it closer to front page so we continue to get those good recipes!!

I came across this one on a website and it sounds wonderful and the remarks at the bottom of the page said it was wonderful.
    thing is I have never cooked or eaten Quinoa so any one that has cooked it and has tips please let me know because she does not even go over how to cook it in the recipe.

Quinoa with Corn and Scallions

Yield: 8 servings

Prep Time: 20 min

Cook Time: 20 min
    Ingredients:

4 ears corn, shucked
    1 Tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
    2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    ý stick (ü cup) unsalted butter, melted
    1 Tablespoon honey
    ý teaspoon salt
    ü teaspoon black pepper
    2 cups uncooked quinoa
    4 scallions, chopped
    Directions:

Place the corn in a large pot and fill it with enough water to cover the corn. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, turn off the heat and let the pot stand, covered, for 5 minutes.

Remove the corn from the pot and let it cool on a cutting board until it's easy to handle. Then, using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off the cob.

Prepare the dressing by whisking together the lemon zest, lemon juice, melted butter, honey, salt and pepper in a large bowl.

Rinse the uncooked quinoa in a sieve under cold water until the water runs clear.

Cook the quinoa in a pot of of boiling salted water per the package directions.

Add the quinoa, corn kernels and chopped scallions to the bowl with the dressing and toss until it's evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
    Quinoa with Corn and Scallions

• patti43
    11 years ago

At first I thought this recipe didn't sound like a dip, but the longer I read it the better I like it!

HOT CORN DIP (Trisha Yearwood)

2 (11 ounce) cans of Mexicorn/Fiesta Corn, drained
    2 (7 ounce) cans of chopped green chiles, drained
    2 tablespoons of chopped, pickled jalapeno
    2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
    2/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup of mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes, or to taste, optional
    Corn chips, for dipping

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Mix together everything but the corn chips in a large bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges. Serve warm with the corn chips. Can put corn mixture in a 4-quart crockpot and cook covered on high for about an hour, or on low until warmed through and bubbly. Hold over low to keep warm.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

oh Patti I think that sounds awesome! I would have to leave out the jalapenos and let people add those separately I just am not into super hot pepper stuff. (I know hard to believe me being Cajun and all I but my stomach does protest)
    But over all that sounds like a winner and could make a meal out of that almost like a frito pie.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Gave the Appleless Apple Pie its own thread since it was more of a novelty recipe.
    not trying to boycott this one

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

SNICKERS BARS COOKIES
    Cookie Bars made with SNICKERS Brand Bars.
    1 tube chocolate chip cookie dough
    6 regular size SNICKERS bars, cut up
    Spread cookie dough in ungreased 9 x 13 pan and bake for 10 minutes. Spread candy bars on top and bake another 10 minutes and spread around.

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

One of my DD's made this and said it is awesome!!

I haven't tried it yet, but plan to make it soon.

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
    adapted from the Sister's Cafe

Ingredients:
    1/3 cup honey
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 Tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
    8-10 flour tortillas, (I use the soft taco tortillas because they fit perfectly in the pan)
    1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
    2 cups green enchilada sauce
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the honey (their tip: spray your measuring spoon with cooking spray before measuring out the honey), lime juice, chili powder and garlic powder together and toss with the shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour (or toss together in a Ziploc bag and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours).
    Spray a 9X13 pan and a 9X9 pan with cooking spray. Pour enough enchilada sauce on the bottom of each baking pan to create a thin layer on the bottom. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and a generous amount of shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas.
    Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover chicken marinade (you might not need to use all of the enchilada sauce depending on how saucy you like yours). Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and top with reserved cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top. I served mine with sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro lime rice and black beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

• patti43
    11 years ago

OMG, Nodakgal, Harry would just love those cookies. Myself, I'd like them with dark chocolate Milky Ways. Either way, I've got to try those.

Don't you wonder how people make up recipes? That's what I was thinking when I read this one.

SALTED CARAMEL RICE KRISPIE TREATS (A Cozy Kitchen)

1/2 cup of sugar
    2 tablespoons of water
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1/4 cup of heavy cream
    1/8 teaspoon of salt
    3 tablespoons of butter
    1 package (or 10 oz.) of marshmallows
    6 cups of Rice Krispies

Combine sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a medium saucepan. Do not stir. Cook over medium-high heat to a dark caramel, swirling as it begins to brown to distribute the sugar. While the sugar and water are cooking, heat the cream in a saucepan or microwave just until warm. Take off the heat and add your room temperature butter. Whisk the butter in, being sure it�s totally combined. Add your warmed cream and whisk vigorously. Set aside.

In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and add the caramel and stir until thoroughly combined. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares.

• marylmi
    11 years ago

nodakgal, thanks so much for that Cranberry Chicken recipe! I made it today it was delicious!!!!

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

You're welcome Mary! I'm glad you liked it. I have chicken on the menu this week and am going to make it too!

• patti43
    11 years ago

I'm getting in the mood for breakfast for dinner and that always includes pancakes. Going to try this. It got rave reviews on the blog.

IHOP PANCAKES (Cookin� Up North)

1 1/4 c. flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. Baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/4 c. buttermilk
    2 Tbsp. melted butter
    1/4 c. sugar

Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder,and salt. Mix the egg with the buttermilk and add to the flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Add melted butter and sugar. Fry on a greased griddle. Serves 4.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Patti, I seldom have buttermilk but I always seem to have sour cream on hand.
    I make these often and oh, they are to die for. If I make the whole recipe, we have enough left over to freeze. Sometimes I cut the recipe in half for a meal.

Sour Cream Pancakes (Chatelaine)

2 tbsp butter
    2 cups flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 cup regular or light sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla

Microwave 2 tbsp butter until melted.

In a large bowl stir flour with sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
    In a medium bowl whisk eggs with milk, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla. Pour into flour and stir with a fork just until moistened.

Immediately melt 1 tsp butter in a large skillet or griddle. Use 1/4 cup to pour batter.

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

I made this one night and made one to freeze. Both were great!

Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole

1 32-oz. bag shredded hash browns
    1 onion, minced
    salt and pepper
    1 lb hamburger, browned
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    1 onion, chopped
    1 15-oz. can or bag of peas, drained and thawed
    1 C. milk
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 C. sour cream
    8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1 can French-fried onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle the hash browns in the bottom of the pan. Layer hamburger, salt, pepper, garlic and onion (brown all these things together). Sprinkle peas on top. Mix soup, milk and sour cream. Pour over the peas. Top with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Sprinkle w/fried onions and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until onions are browned and crispy

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe link

• bengardening
    11 years ago

I just posted this on the eggs link but I will post it here too. Take leftover pasta and fry it in the pan just to heat it and put eggs over it and scramble it together. You can add onions and/or greenpeppers if you want. Don't knock it until you try it.
    Here's another one: cook macaroni and add a can of tomatoes to it. Add a little sugar. It is so good.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Here's a recipe for sauerkraut lovers--especially Jasdip ;-)

Reuben Dip

1 cup corned beef (Carl Buddig) chopped
    1 cup grated Swiss cheese
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 cup sauerkraut (drained)
    1 cup mayo

Mix together in a crock pot and heat until bubbly. Serve with rye crackers or toasted pumpernickel cocktail bread).

• karenmay_gw
    11 years ago

I must try your turnip recipe Jasdip,my sister in law comes for dinner every Wednesday and turnip is one of her favourite veg. Over here though we use a lot of swede turnips..do you think it would still work?

Karen UK

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,
    I googled Swede Turnip and they are rutabagas. That's what I use. I don't use the white and purple turnip. I use rutabagas, but call them turnips :) Just to confuse people! Kidding.

Let us know how you and your sister-in-law liked it Karen!

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Do you use an Aga Karen? I don't know why, but they fascinate me.....

• ruthieg__tx
    11 years ago

Pumpkin Bread Mix..very good, quick and easy

3 Cups Bisquick..I'm sure Pioneer or any other bisquick type mix will do.
    1 Cup Sugar
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cloves....

Use to make the loaf below or store to use later...

That's the whole mix. If you intend to use it right away, just put all of this in a bowl...if you are making a gift jar, layer each item by item into a wide mouth jar.

Recipe for Pumpkin Bread

1 jar Pumpkin Bread of Mix
    1 (16 oz.) can solid Pack Pumpkin
    2 eggs
    1 Cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees....In a large bowl combine the Pumpkin Bread Mix with the pumpkin, eggs and nuts. Stir until the miixture is well blended. Spoon the batter into 1 large greased loaf pan for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean....or bake for 45 minutes in 2 smaller loaf pans. Cool on a wire rack before removing.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

I hope we have a thread for each week in November

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

We will, Minnie.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Meant to put a link to this 1st week in November.

Here is a link that might be useful: November Week 1

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

Oh Ruthie I copied that pumpkin bread! It sounds good! Will try it soon. Thank you!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Sorry but I personally think that the name of the post needs to stay the same as it has been it will be very confusing with it not called the recipe thread.
    If a tips thread is wanted that should be a different post.
    I had no idea where to go for the recipe thread today, I would never have thought it should be in a tips post.
    Why would the name have to change, just put the date on it with recipe sharing.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Oh we have to keep the Recipe thread the same name!!

Tips can be one thread, and recipes another. We can add to the tips as we think of them, and add to the recipes.
    I'm going to make this thread a shortcut, so that all the recipes are in one spot, into my folder.

• threejs
    11 years ago

Even more confusing is that in past two weeks recipes are all over the board as if this thread just didn't exist for the past couple of months. I thought the main reason was for those wanting to try recipes could come to one place and get them or give out their own favorites. Also any kudoos or negatives about what they try. As far as this post being too long and hard to get loaded it is not any worse than the birthday wishes or any other that post pictures or gifs.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Okay. I must have misunderstood the directions I received regarding naming and posting the threads. Will adjust to hopefully satisfy everyone.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Threejs, if you post daily for 2 or 3 years, it's hard to come up with a tried and true recipe every day. I've noticed my cookbook has several of the same recipe because we forget we've posted it after a year or so and post it again.

That's why a lot of us post recipes that we haven't tried. Some of us post every day just to keep interest up and, hopefully, keep it on the front page.

• threejs
    11 years ago

Patti that's not what I was trying to get across, sorry it seemed that way. I just meant keeping all of the recipe items in a thead made it so easy to look for recipes of the month when you wanted to find something you didn't have time to copy when you first read it or to see if someone else had posted something new. Many times I just run in to see if I have all the ingredients and if not I come back to get the recipe after I have them. I personally do not care if they are tried and true but if they are I really appreciated the poster telling us so and what changes they thought would improve or shortcuts that may have helped in making it happen. I started posting everyday too but there were only about five that posted a recipe, and then nothing and the recipe thread of the month would disappear to the next page because no one posted on it, but there were still recipes in other threads that generated conversations, and that was what I was hoping this recipe thread would achieve. By the way your what's for supper is a great thread, many times the following night supper is determined by someone's posting. Don't know how to 'splain it I guess, hope this made sense.

• patti43
    11 years ago

Threejs, I think the new weekly post will work pretty well. I do the same thing--go check for ingredients and then the phone rings or something, and I forget to go back. I think most of us try to say we've either tried the recipe or not--at least I've noticed it.

There are so many good-sounding recipes on the internet. I want to try them all ;-) Plus, we have so darned many good cooks and bakers right here at the KT. Almost all the recipes I make over and over again are from friends right here.

You know what? I do the same thing with the dinner thread. Right now I'm craving a BLT!!