Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smelly house after deep frying

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 0:09

I got out a recipe for funnel cakes last week and made half a recipe, about 4 of them. I am thinking of trying them next time my grandsons visit. But I had forgotten how much that inch or so of hot oil stinks up the house. I had the windows open for days.

Does anyone have advice or trick for quickly eliminating or avoiding deep fat frying smell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smelly house after deep frying

2 teaspoons Fresh coffee grounds in cups, saucers, or paper plates helps clear the air from any smell.

Confine the smell as much as possible by shutting doors, then lay out the fresh coffee grounds.

o

Depends if it's in the air or if it's from grease spatter on counters, cabinets and the like. If it's spatter, clean-up is the obvious first step.

Air circulation is a big thing. Whenever I deep fry I open the nearest window and point a fan out. Works quite well but will of course take a lot of heat out in the wintertime so I usually don't deep fry on the coldest days.

If you used a vent hood, clean the filter. Bowls of vinegar, vanilla and plain, unscented candles are all effective odor absorbers. Charcoal and as mentioned, coffee grounds are pretty effective too.

o

Can you do it outside (do you have a side burner on your grill)? I've heard of some people doing that and I can understand it. I hate that smell too which is good because it keeps me from deep frying things at home.

o

When I cook anything smelly I light a candle and let it burn while I cook. The candle seems to help.

o

I feel for you. I cook broccoli a lot and that can really stink up a house, too. Like Paula, I do it outside. I have a deep fryer I take out to the screened porch and cook in it.

How were the funnel cakes? They sure sound good!

o

I do all my deep frying outside at the grill. I also know several people that use their electric fryers outside. Just plug into the outside outlet.

o

Taking the smelly jobs outside is the way I do it too, but today I am browning stew meat (several pounds) and am not sure if I can take the cold wet outdoors today. For fish (a quick but smelly job) my Forman Grill works best...outside. Nanny

o

I seldom fry anymore, but back when I did, I did it outside or in the garage. I made BLT's a couple of times this summer, and the next day I could still smell the bacon. I'll try the coffee grounds or candles the next time and see if that helps. I get the best tips from the great people on this forum! Thanks one and all!

o

I open a kitchen window downstairs and another window upstairs (the upstairs is a loft), and any smells in the house seem to get sucked outside by the air currents. Works every time.

o

When my house smells of cooking oil, I do one of two things: put out a soup bowl of fresh ground coffee (not the cooked, wet grounds). Or cut some lemons and limes in quarters or eights and put them in a bowl. Don't squeeze out the juice. Keep them, if you have good luck they'll dry out completely and you can mix them with pot pourri later on. But if they get moldy, get rid of them.

o

When you cook fish or anything smelly put a pot to boil with just plain vinegar in it.You are in for a big surprise because it works.

o

a couple of small bowls of vinegar helps with smoke, don't know if it helps with food smells. Candle is my first choice.

o

You must boil the vinegar as you are cooking or it won't help.

o

I've got a candle going now. Just finished cooking bacon in the oven to have with our waffles.
Gotta get the bacon smell out...

o

Very weird.
My message got rejected because it says I've got a message with the same subject, but I don't. This is my first response.
Oh well. Here it is anyway.

I've got a candle going now. Just finished cooking bacon in the oven to have with our waffles.
Gotta get the bacon smell out...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here