Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For those who wondered about oil pulling....

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 22:48

There are many online articles and instructions for oil pulling (the process of swishing oil in your mouth), but here's one I ran across tonight while reading something else:

Oil Swishing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For those who wondered about oil pulling....

A chiropractor has no training in oral hygiene. If that weren't enough, what he's recommending is what he sells - for $30 a quart. His link goes to his own product sales page.

The guy's a quack, don't be fooled.

o

Well I must admit that I've never wondered about it because I've never heard about it.

Because I had an issue with bleeding gums I have my teeth cleaned 4 times a year which has helped tremendously. After this appt I'll revert back to my twice a year hygiene regimen (with lots of flossing). But I think if this worked my dentist would have recommended me. If I remember I'll ask when I go next month.

o

Okay, I should have looked into the source, and chosen an article without an agenda. Like I said, the Internet is full of information on the topic.

The author of this one speaks of neutralizing food acids, but my understanding is that oil pulling's main benefit is removal of bacteria. The oil you spit out is said to be noticeably different from the oil you started with. This is a popular practice in India, where it has been done for thousands of years.

Maire, since this is an Ayurvedic therapy, I'm guessing most traditional American dentists have either never heard of it or would dismiss it as ridiculous.

I'm just presenting information. I don't follow this practice myself, although I've thought about trying it.

o

I actually tried it over the weekend since I have some coconut oil at home. It was kind of neat, but I didn't notice any effects - good or bad. I might do it every once in a while, but definitely not as a part of my regular routine.

o

As Alisande said it is an Ayruvedic therapy. In the medical/science world you would find that many Chiropractors use Ayruvedic therapies more than MD's would. I did not read the article and am not into people selling things like that, when you can just go to a natural food store and buy coconut oil or even now days some grocery stores.

Naughtykitty, I believe you would need to do it several weeks before you would notice a change, if any??

As with all Ayruvedic things I have tried, it is hard to add a new habit into my life, I try many and keeps the ones that work for me or that I enjoy doing.

Oil pulling is not something that can hurt you or be bad for you, most dentist probably have never heard of it and you could not even have a convo with them about it~~

PEACE

o

"I'm guessing most traditional American dentists have either never heard of it or would dismiss it as ridiculous"

Western health treatments are science-based. If controlled studies haven't been conducted showing effectiveness, then I'd guess that most dentists would dismiss it as unproven. The difference isn't subtle.

MOST so-called "alternative" medicines and therapies from ancient cultures, when tested, are shown to be ineffective. Many, including many Ayruvedic ones, have been found to be dangerous. There are not doubt some pearls buried in the sand on the beach (re alternative treatments that are effective), but they're not numerous and they're very hard to find.

I'm not sure why anyone would be concerned about bacteria in the mouth - it performs one of the first steps of digestion. But if you want to do something, brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with water or an antibacterial like Listerine.

o

So what would be dangerous about swishing some oil in your mouth snidely? It could be nothing happens. But, harmful? I don't see it. I think I'm in the in the middle. I don't think it could cure whole body stuff or hurt. I think I agree with this MD's statement:

_________________ (linked below)
"In fact, I have been able to find only one scientific study on oil pulling. The study was designed to evaluate the effect of oil pulling on bacteria (Streptococcus mutans) in plaque and saliva of children, and to compare its antiseptic power with that of using a conventional mouthwash containing chlorhexidine. The researchers found a reduction in the bacteria count in the plaque and saliva samples in both the study and the control groups and concluded that oil pulling can help maintain oral health. The study was published in an Indian dental journal."

although it sounds like it does as much good as "conventional mouthwash". Not harmful though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Weil's comments

o

Sometimes doing a natural alternative or adding it to your life makes the person feel better~~there is no harm in that. Ayruveda is a 5,000 year old Life Science, it is the Sister to Yoga. I have been to workshops and had private sessions with an Ayruvedic counselor~~I enjoy many of the things she has advised me to do. I do feel much better eating and living a more natural lifestyle.

Read 'Warrior Pose' A War Correspondent's Memoir~by Brad Willis~~~he will tell you how Yoga and Ayruveda (LIterally) saved his life. It was very effective for him~~

This post was edited by YogaLady1948 on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 15:07

o

Yogalady, I know that yoga, meditation and such can bring great happiness and comfort to its practitioners. But should you fall unconscious when out in public, do you want to be taken to a hospital or to an ashram? Get the point?

Besides the possible exposure to dangerous substances, another risk to followers of alternative medical practices can be the use of ineffective folk practices instead of obtaining proper (and proven) treatment. If you have an infection in your mouth, you need to see a dentist (untreated oral infections can lead to death). Doing anything else is really a wasted effort. Me, I prefer to swish red wine in my mouth.

See if you find this paragraph from Wikipedia to be of interest:

"According to a 1990 study on ayurvedic medicines in India, 41 percent of the products tested contained arsenic, and 64 percent contained lead and mercury.[37] A 2004 study found toxic levels of heavy metals in 20 percent of ayurvedic preparations made in South Asia and sold in the Boston area, and concluded that ayurvedic products posed serious health risks and should be tested for heavy-metal contamination.[70] A 2008 study of more than 230 products found that approximately 20 percent of remedies (and 40 percent of rasa shastra medicines) purchased over the Internet from both US and Indian suppliers contained lead, mercury or arsenic.[6][71][72] In 2012 the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) stated that Ayurvedic drugs have been linked to lead poisoning on the basis of some cases where pregnant women had taken Ayurvedic drugs and toxic materials were found in their blood"

o

Western health treatments are science-based.

Snidely, that would be nice, but Western health treatments are all too often based on what pharmaceutical salespeople are pushing this week. Plus Western medicine has a long history of mistakes. Dangerous mistakes. Like when the doctors told my parents they would remove my adenoids with radiation because it would be easier and safer than surgery. I was six years old. Oops!

Why be concerned with bacteria in the mouth? You're kidding, right? Ever hear of dental cavities? Gingivitis?

MOST so-called "alternative" medicines and therapies from ancient cultures, when tested, are shown to be ineffective.

Someone would have to have invested a lifetime of research into this topic in order to make a statement like that with a straight face. I don't know where you get your "facts," but I for one am dismissing them.

It's unfortunate that a simple sharing of information (admittedly, I could have done better with the source) pushed the wrong button for you, but these things happen.

o

I love it and thanks for reminding me because I am up to doing it again. My gums have never been in better health and it is a natural whitener for your teeth. Plus my teeth no longer have that "transparency" look to them.
I could care less what science says - I've tried and have seen marvelous results. I committed to doing it for a few weeks though. I drink black coffee daily and red wine and still have white teeth. Love it and will keep doing it.....when I remember:).

o

btw..sam's club has coconut oil...

o

And my tooth sensitivity is completely gone. I have had a problem with this for as long as I can remember. Granted, as far as the health benefits oil pulling proposes I can't say I noticed much in that area but for oral health, I can't say enough about it.

o

Cookie, what kind of oil do you use? Your testimonial is inspiring!

o

I use coconut oil. Unfortunately, a lot of my shirts have oil dribble marks down the front as I usually have to answer a question to one of my kids at some point in time so that would be my only negative on this.
I tried Crest strips and those did so much damage to my teeth so I am pretty happy I found oil pulling. I do believe a lot of the bacteria is removed from your mouth. I also love using it on my face. Plus if you combine zinc (Penaten) diaper cream it takes away rosacea.

o

OK, I went to PubMed, which is where you can find something like 11 million scientific paper indexed. The study Dr. Weill was apparently referring to was done in India on 20 adolescent boys, divided into two groups. The oil used was "sesame oil". You can access it yourself & make up your own mind whether any kind of food oil kills bacteria.

o

Snidely, Vedics go to doctors as needed in their lives. In my Ayruvedic remedies book, it will give you natural things to try and it also says IF you have these symptoms go to your doctor. It is not VooDoo science. My own doctor through my HMO, discusses with me using natural remedies instead of a pill~~she is all for it. She says more people need to get more involved in what is going in their bodies and do they really need it and maybe taking better care of our bodies than popping a pill.

Cookie 8, if you like using the coconut oil on your face, try doing Abhyanga~~body oiling~~goggle it and read up on it. It may just be something you might like to try;)

o

Until the effectiveness of a treatment or medicine is proven, it's assumed to be ineffective. As various folk remedies are studied over time, few demonstrate effectiveness. Many dating from ancient societies are little more than faith-healing potions used because some shaman sometime back in history proclaimed benefits. Anyone wishing to maintain their health and treat disease in that way is free to.

Opinions are just that, I was trying to offer a balanced view. But if y'all respond with comments like "who cares about science", or feel persuaded by an Indian study of 20 people that wasn't double-blind, then so be it.

My only suggestion is if you find yourself with gingivitis or tooth decay, see a dentist and don't look for a remedy at Sams Club.

o

Snidely, I'm just wondering -- have you ever read The China Study?

Can you tell me how many hours of nutritional instruction is given during medical school? I know that's off topic from this discussion, but I'm curious to hear your opinion.

o

I've read it! I haven't given up dairy completely but I don't eat much of it at all as I find it gross to think about, and I don't think humans are meant to consume it. It's amazing how much better I feel if I don't eat it for a few weeks, and how yucky and congested I feel when I start eating it again.

I think most people are used to the weighed-down feeling of dairy (even those who aren't sensitive to lactose) so they don't realize how much better they could feel without it. Though it's easy to understand why people don't give it up as dairy is everywhere and in everything. I've been brainwashed since preschool that I need milk multiple times a day to grow and stay strong.

To come a little bit back on topic, I'm all for seeking alternative remedies as long as it's generally considered safe. I've seen some dangerous approaches, but I also hear all the side effects on the prescription pain medications, up to and including sudden death. My main problem with the current "scientific" field of medicine is that people find it way too convenient to just pop a pill to cure their ails and continue the destructive lifestyle. People are using the pills as a remedy instead of figuring out why the body is reacting that way.

I'm not talking about everything, as obviously there are some issues that require medication and can't be changed with a lifestyle adjustment, and there are plenty of people who have to take medication despite healthy habits. But I can't tell you how many people I know who take blood pressure medication while continuing to eat a horrific diet and not exercising.

I have bad anxiety, and I spoke to my doctor about it and asked for suggestions on ways to cope with it. I was hoping she would suggest meditation or yoga, or even some supplements. But no, she said the only thing that would work is if I took 3 different types of drugs a day every day. I declined and I've since found my own ways to cope with it. But it's just an example I've seen where it's much easier for some traditional healthcare providers to write a prescription than to really try to help figure out what's going on.

o

Amen to that, chi83!! Very well said.

Whistle

o

HI Lindsey,

I haven't read The China Study, it's not the kind of reading I enjoy. I'm familiar with it, and it isn't without its detractors.

It's easier to identify when a substance or a personal practice is harmful, than when it's helpful. The fact that something isn't harmful, doesn't mean it's helpful. People cling tightly to habits and beliefs they've developed.

You know the conundrum - the Adkins diet vs a vegetarian diet. How could they both lead to weight loss? The answer is, any diet that alters a person's eating habits can produce weight loss, what's being eaten doesn't matter for that purpose. But how about nutrition, which is better:? Both are poor, the best diet long term (as I understand it) is one of wide variety, balance and moderation.

If you follow a practice and it makes you feel better - great!

o

You know the conundrum - the Adkins diet vs a vegetarian diet. How could they both lead to weight loss? The answer is, any diet that alters a person's eating habits can produce weight loss, what's being eaten doesn't matter for that purpose.

I don't think that's the answer at all. This is something I've studied for decades, and although it's clear that everyone should eat nutrient-dense foods rather than empty calories, I don't believe a one-size-fits-all diet exists. We are individuals, and different bodies react differently.

My family ate a vegetarian diet when we had the tofu business. My DH and kids did very well on it, but I did not. I gained a lot of weight. I am way too carb-sensitive to handle the beans and rice and all those healthy whole-grain baked goods. I suppose I could have eliminated those foods from my diet and remained a vegetarian (it was tempting because I love the vegetarian philosophy), but I felt so much better when my diet included lean animal protein.

Those healthy baked goods, BTW, made my triglycerides go up to a very unhealthy 547--a dangerous heart risk for women.

As for the Atkins diet, I've mentioned before that Dr. Atkins was my physician in New York. At the time I was 25 years old and pre-diabetic. His diet works very well for the carb-sensitive. Years later I modified it to eliminate saturated fats, and lost a significant amount of weight. I still eat low-carb for the most part, and continue to stave off diabetes.

o

You know the conundrum - the Adkins diet vs a vegetarian diet. How could they both lead to weight loss? The answer is, any diet that alters a person's eating habits can produce weight loss, what's being eaten doesn't matter for that purpose.

I don't think that's the answer at all. This is something I've studied for decades, and although it's clear that everyone should eat nutrient-dense foods rather than empty calories, I don't believe a one-size-fits-all diet exists. We are individuals, and different bodies react differently.

My family ate a vegetarian diet when we had the tofu business. My DH and kids did very well on it, but I did not. I gained a lot of weight. I am way too carb-sensitive to handle the beans and rice and all those healthy whole-grain baked goods. I suppose I could have eliminated those foods from my diet and remained a vegetarian (it was tempting because I love the vegetarian philosophy), but I felt so much better when my diet included lean animal protein.

Those healthy baked goods, BTW, made my triglycerides go up to a very unhealthy 547--a dangerous heart risk for women.

As for the Atkins diet, I've mentioned before that Dr. Atkins was my physician in New York. At the time I was 25 years old and pre-diabetic. His diet works very well for the carb-sensitive. Years later I modified it to eliminate saturated fats, and lost a significant amount of weight. I still eat low-carb for the most part, and continue to stave off diabetes.

o

How's this, again ...

... you "pull" the oil ...

... so you can delay getting the teeth pulled for quite a few years??

o j

o

I understand and agree with almost everything you said. You read my comments too quickly - my mention of diets was an EXAMPLE of how contradictory beliefs can lead to the same destination, as I said "what's being eaten doesn't matter FOR THAT PURPOSE". It seems that the various diet alternatives, many contradictory to one another, may work simply because they require a change in eating habits.

I understand vegetarianism as an ethical point of view, the problem is that overly strict adherence isn't a healthy practice for many people (for the reasons you mention - too many carbs and too little protein). I forget the relative numbers, you may know, but tofu is a poor source of protein compared to animal sources. I think one needs to eat something over a pound of tofu to equal a 1/3rd pound of meat, and of course no one does that.

It sounds like you are very in touch with your own body and you know what works for you. I'd bet that part of why you're successful is that you pay attention to what you eat, something too few people do.

o

I do the oil pulling also. I find it makes my mouth feel so fresh. I put the oil in my mouth and pull during my shower. I try for 10 minutes...do not swallow while doing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here