Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Truth" in advertising

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 22:02

We've talked about those ads for anti-aging beauty products that show airbrushed models (sometimes young airbrushed models), and mascara ads illustrated with photos of models wearing false eyelashes. Here's another one that bugs me:

"Only Sleepy's has the most comfortable mattresses in the world!"

How can they get away with making such a statement? I'm surprised Hastens or one of the other ultra-luxury European mattress companies hasn't squashed them like a bug.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Truth" in advertising

There is only "their truth" in their advertising!!!!

o

And why on earth are most clothing models shaped like sticks? So the clothes can "hang" loosely , rather than falling along normal body curves.

o

I've been looking for a new car and visiting the dealer sites. One Honda dealer's site says "Only a Honda is a Honda".

Talk about truth in advertising, what could be more true or self apparent than that statement? Every time I see it I scratch my head and think yeah, and only a Toyota is a Toyota, only a BMW is a BMW, etc. What is their point?

I am skeptical of all advertising claims (except that a Honda is a Honda).

o

I've been intrigued by several TV ads that claim their products contain "Real ingredients".In my book, an ingredient is an ingredient, whether it's good or bad. If it's not a real ingredient, does that mean it's not there?

o

LOL I haven't heard that one, Maxmom.....the food manufacturers must be getting desperate.

I notice some peanut butter manufacturers are putting "Natural" on their label. To me, natural peanut butter contains peanuts. Or peanuts and salt. That's it. How can a peanut butter be "natural" when it contains sugar and palm oil? And possibly other ingredients?

o

How about the smarmy PAC ads for or against a candidate that list the sponsor as some made-up "Committee for the Good of Mankind"? LOL

The clout-heavy Chicagoans who want to reap public funds with their 'non profit' charter schools just started a TV ad slamming the teachers' union for striking. The ad is funded by some goodie-goodie-sounding group like 'People for Education'. You'd never know they're in it for the money to be made.

o

Oh, it's true, Chisue. That kind of thing bugs me, too.

"Paid for by The Citizens Who Want to Put the A Back in America." LOL

o

I saw a documentary on truth in advertising Years ago and the advertisers have to tell the truth and the government does enforce it. If a company is advertising chocolate syrup and they show a sundae covered with the syrup, the syrup has to be real, the other ingredients don't have to be. They can use words that can mislead consumers. An example of how smart the companies are is that they will put Nature on herbs and other products and the consumer actually thinks/sees "natural". Kelloggs is being investigated or was for advertising blue berries in their products when there are none. There are purple clumps of sugar in one form or another, that's it. I don't know how that turned out.

o

You talkin' to me, yur fellow 'merican?

We enjoy listening to "Under the Influence" on PBS radio. It's on Saturdays at 6:30 a.m. here in Chicago. I think you can find it on Pirate Radio online. It's an amusing show about the advertising business.

o

You talkin' to me, yur fellow 'merican?

We enjoy listening to "Under the Influence" on PBS radio. It's on Saturdays at 6:30 a.m. here in Chicago. I think you can find it on Pirate Radio online. It's an amusing show about the advertising business.

o

A relative is a film editor for commercials. He talks of the before and after shots of people who have lost weight on Jenny Craig. They take the after picture and stretch it taller to make the person look thinner.

o

Oh, no! The after pics have prettier hair, nicer smiles, etc., but I never suspected that!

o

I have been using the mute button so much lately for political ads that I have not paid much attention to the ""real"" advertising. Some of the ads are cute like the Meow Meow Meow with the cats and some of the local stuff, except where they are yelling, and I keep threatening to go into one dealer and shout as loud as I can? Can you show me a car???? or something to that fact.

o

Ah, Marie I remember those ads. Another reason not to miss TV. LOL

o

Ah, Marie I remember those ads. Another reason I do not miss TV. LOL

o

Ah, Marie I remember those ads. Another reason I do not miss TV. LOL

o

A guy named Barnum said there was a sucker born every minute. Do I really think those "As sold on TV" gadgets work? No.

o

A guy named Barnum said there was a sucker born every minute. Do I really think those "As sold on TV" gadgets work? No.

o

I did not hit the submit button 3 times.??????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here