Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know this flower?

Posted by bigack (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 19:55

It came up in the daylily bed, bloom is huge, so pretty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know this flower?

Looks like a Moonflower but not 100% sure.

o

Check out mine...

Photobucket

This was two night ago. It's blooms open around dusk to dark, and they quit blooming around 10 in the morning.

Now, if you don't cut the flowerheads off, they make seeds. LOTS of them.

Yes, moonflower! :)

Moni
PS, I am overdue for cutting spent flowers and seed pods off.

o

Yes, Moonflower, or Datura. Careful with litle kids around, the seeds are very poisonous.

Ron

o

Wow, thanks!! It just popped open this evening. I thought they bloomed on vines like morning glories

o

I saw on TV that if you brew a part of the plant you can get high. I saw a film clip of a couple of teens high on it.

o

There are some hybrids of that plant that are absolutely beautiful. I saw them on a pond tour in Ok City I think or Tulsa not sure which.

o

I'll remember that when I feel depressed, lol just kidding!

o

There are places where you get fined for having them in your yard. All because some kids get high on them. When will the outlaw paint, thinner, aircontioner coolant?

It's a tough plant. There are lots in places that haven't seen water/rain in a long time. But those are not blooming yet either.

Moni

o

I was carded a couple of days ago when I bought a can of compressed air to clean electronics. They scanned my driver's license.

o

It's a datura, and the whole plant is poisonous ..they are beautiful but if you have animals that you love make sure you cut the seed head off..also called devil's trumpet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here