Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help for a baby squirrel

Posted by sandiefl (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 19:25

I just found a baby squirrel,just off of the road into my yard. It is still a live. I tried to raise a squirrel last year and just before its eyes open, it died. I remember to keep it warm. I know that it has to eat every three hours,but don't know what to feed it until tomorrow. With the last one the vet said to give it kitten formula. We got it from the vet,but they aren't open right now. Is there anything else I can give it to help it through the night. I was wondering about evaporated milk. I don't know when it last ate,so if someone can help I would really appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help for a baby squirrel

Sandie, there is most likely a rehab. office in your area. Go online and see if you can find one. Likely, the mom is nearby and would rescue it. This same thing just happened to me a couple of weeks ago, so I took it to the vet and he turned it over to a rehab. center.

My neighbor has one in her yard tonight, but the mama came and got it and carried it back to the nest.

o

Call the nearest rehab. Animal control advises to not ever move an animal until several hours have passed and you are sure mama is not coming back.

o

It would be best to find a rehabber, but if you have to raise it, you can feed it esbilac for puppies which is available at all pet shops, like petsmart, petco, I am sure. Make sure it is warm before you start to feed it. Good luck with it.

o

Caring for it is complicated, especially if there is just the one.....I wish you luck. Several online places said rehabber first of course but in an emergency don't start with formula...

"INITIAL FEEDINGS NEED TO BE REHYDRATION SOLUTION

Orphans that have been without their mother will be suffering from chill and dehydration. They must be thoroughly warmed first, and then, although they are starving, they must be given warmed rehydration solution before any milk formula is offered. Their dehydrated little body is simply unable to digest food (i.e. the milk solids in formula) and if given formula or other food before they are rehydrated it can kill them, or cause debilitating diarrhea. Pedialyte is a rehydration solution made for human babies, and is available in drug stores ��" it often comes fruit flavoured, but if you can find the unflavoured kind that is best for wildlife babies. It should be heated to body temperature and offered frequently: every 30 minutes to babies that will take only a small amount, or every 2 hours to those that take a larger amount. Feed only Pedialyte for the first several feedings ��" as much as the baby wants until it is rehydrated and producing lots of light yellow urine when you stimulate it. Stimulate it at each feeding using light feathery strokes.

In an emergency, a homemade rehydration solution can be made by mixing: ½ teaspoon salt + ½ tablespoon of sugar + 2 cups of water ��" warm slightly to dissolve sugar and salt. Use this homemade solution only until you can get to a drug store. Pedialyte is a balanced electrolyte solution, much better for the baby.
'

o

Sandie there is an animal sanctuary in Christmas it is near Ft Christmas...my dh has rehab'd his share of birds and squirrels and a couple of yrs ago stopped. He found both Fallin Pines and Wildlife Rehab to accept baby squirrels, now he drives them over to them after getting his heart broke one too many times :-( good luck! ~ liz

Here is a link that might be useful: wildlife rescuers East Orlando

o

Thank all of you for your help. I am afraid that it came too late. I gave it to my daughter and her two children. We all love squirrels and wildlife. It was doing well but we did not know about the pedialyte.It died early this morning. We were going to take it to the Ft. Christmas place this morning.My SIL has been the Park Ranger there for almost 30 years. When I was trying to take care of mine the vet told us to get Kitten formula. Mine lived for 4 days. I am so sorry about the baby and quite concerned that my granddaughter is hurting and feeling guilty. I know what she is going through because I still feel bad about the first one I found. We know now that we will not try to rehab one again. It will go to someone who knows what they are doing.

o

good time to talk to dgd about life cycle and how nature does what's right for wild animals...there should be no guilt but that being sad is ok....

o

Sandie, please don't feel badly about the pedialyte, it may not have made a difference. If it was one, single, there's a chance the mother abandoned it because it was sick or something was already wrong. She would have been perfectly capable of picking one up that had fallen from the nest or tree and putting it back if it was healthy and viable. Most of us have a need to want to help an animal, and equally as many don't have any reason to know how, we just do the best we can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here