SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

What's the largest amount of money you ever LOST?

donna_loomis
11 years ago

Didn't want to hi-jack the thread asking about how much money you found, but was curious about the other side of the coin.

A few years back we were having lunch at IHOP with my daughter and my grandsons, the youngest being a wee babe. DD had her wallet in the diaper bag underneath the table. She had a little over $400 in her wallet (I would never carry that much cash) and during the meal the diaper bag apparently got kicked and knocked over. The wallet fell out but nobody noticed and we left the restaurant without it. She discovered it was missing less than an hour later and went back to the restaurant, but of course nobody at the restaurant admitted seeing it. Most likely another diner saw the opportunity and grabed it. She was devastated, but life goes on. She cancelled all her cards, etc. and put it behind her. About a month later she got a notice from the post office that she had mail there with postage due and she could come and pick it up. She had no idea what it could be. She went to the post office and paid the postage, opened it up and there was her wallet. All the cards and her I.D. were there. The only thing missing was the money. There was also a note in it that said, "I needed your money". She was so tickled to think that someone would return it to her. I was the cynical one, saying that I would have been impressed if the money was there, but the person didn't get any brownie points, IMO, for returning it without the money. The person had to know that she would have cancelled the cards, so what was the point of returning useless stuff? I like to be the one to look on the bright side of things, but I didn't really see one in this instance.

So............ how much money have you lost at one time? And I don't mean gambling, stocks, etc. Really lost.

Comments (22)