Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have "love bugs" where you are?

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 17:44

They are so bad here, you can't even sit outside or get into your house without a ton following you in. I have to keep my vacuum next to the door to suck them up. I have to wash my car windshield everyday when I come home, they are covering everything. Hope they go soon! They also stink!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have "love bugs" where you are?

They were awful this past week, but their numbers are dwindling. At least yesterday and today I could get in front door without spraying.

o

I don't think we do here! Thank goodness.

Sue

o

We don't have them here. But I do remember vacationing in Florida and seeing them all over the cars in the parking lot.

o

Oh no, Joann! We had them in Flagler for a couple of weeks in the spring when we were down there but not as bad as your picture. We also had blind mosquitoes. I didn't know they would come back again at this time of the year. I'm sorry, I know I have read about how terrible they get and how the swarming can cause tons of trouble for people not to mention accidents on the highways. A friend told me that he saw them like a cloud on the highway and couldn't see to drive. Good Luck!

We're coming back to Florida in November.

o

No, we don't have them here, but I remember them from the times I spent in Florida. But to me they weren't as bad as the "palmetto bugs" in Florida. They are huge flying, crawling roaches.

Here, this summer, we have had every kind of biting bug there is I think. I have never been so bothered by them before.

I love summer, but sitting out and enjoying the porch has been somewhat unpleasant.

Sue

o

Too many bugs ...

... buggin' you folks, huh?

o j

o

Lovebugs in FL typically peak around Memorial Day and Labor Day. We used to have service stations in FL and lovebugs were the bane of my existence! People who normally went to self-service would pay the few extra cents for full-service just to get us to wash off the half-inch-thick layer of bugs, it was hard work and so gross.

We don't have them here in AR, yay. :)

o

No.....but we experienced them when we were in Florida once.
I didn't like the palmetto bugs there, either.

o

When we moved up here from Miami,30 some years ago,the people standing on the corner or walking down the street had kerchiefs over their faces. We were ready to turn around and go home. We didn't have them in Miami but they might by now. What about the Deer Fly? The first time I encountered them,my arm blew up like a balloon.They are only here at certain times too.

o

Flamey, you may no have lobe bugs but you've got chiggers. ack!

I remember 'love bugs' when we drover around the US many years ago. The love bugs were a mess ... in our car's grill, on the windows, smeared across the hood ... but my ankles and waist were thick with chigger bites after one night in a KOA camp ground in Little Rock, AR.

We don't have either of those bugs here, in fact where we live, we don't even see mosquitoes, and that's just the way I like it!

Jodi-

o

In Louisiana yes, here in my part of Texas no thankfully.

o

I've only seen a couple this month. Only one time were they ever troublesome for me-they seem to hover around my white minivan.

o

DANG! Those things look awful~~I have never seen them before, I live in So cal~~we do have sometimes around certain plants little creepy white bugs, never around the house tho;(

o

think i'll take snow!

o

i Had 2 twice on my windshield driving in our in our area yesterday. None at the house yet for the fall crop. We don't get them here in Central FL as bad as we did in NE FL. The WORST experience for me was driving across FL on I-10 from the state line to Jacksonville in Sept '98. I had to stop at a gas station about every 45 mins. to scrub them off so that I could see out the windshield.

o

Yes we do! Traveling to Clearwater today and DH will be putting some WD-40 on the front of the car. The windshield will suffer though since there is nothing to put on that obviously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here