SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va_gw

Happy Birthday to me....

Sue_va
9 years ago

Kinda late, but I've had several delays in getting this all together.(See my earlier post on September 18th.)

My birthday was Saturday, June 21st. My family did all the planning, and the work, and due to their work schedules, had my birthday party on Sunday June 22nd. The party was held in my side yard. This was not a Surprise party.

We were blessed with a beautiful day, weather-wise, and by the presence of many friends from down through the years and some new friends/neighbors that I have met here at the Retirement Community. Total number present was 47, plus two calls from California, my 20 year old great grandson and an 80 year old nephew. My son was here from SC, with my grandson and a great grandson, so I had a full house over the weekend.

A canopy provided shade under a tree, and a 10x10 foot white tent was set up with two refreshment tables. My DGD, the cupcake girl, made dozens of beautiful delicious cupcakes, plus a ("just for me") six inch, four layer, chocolate birthday cake with white frosting and candles. We had vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream, a variety of soft drinks and bottled water; not to forget toppings and bananas, if anyone wanted a banana split. What is better for a birthday than ice cream and (cup) cakes? And of course there were flowers and balloons. The invitations stated No Gifts Please. That was observed except for one dear 95 year old friend who gave me a lovely dish cloth she had crocheted.

There was a Surprise, though. The party was at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. My grandson arrived shortly after 2, on his motorcycle and asked me if I wanted to take a ride! Of course I did. With my current health problems it took helping hands for me to straddle that Harley, but straddle it I did. We rode for about 20-25 minutes in the beautiful, serene country side. I asked him later how far and how fast we went. He grinned and chose not to answer that. Except for my son and family, the rest of my immediate family is local. My son told me the highlight of the day for him was seeing me on that motorcycle ride!

There have been many comments about the party. The ones I hear that warms my heart the most is about seeing the whole family working together to celebrate my 90th birthday! Only 10 more years to go to meet my goal!

Sue

Comments (21)