Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
holes in my yard

Posted by phyllis__mn (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 17:15

These were not here yesterday, but there are between 70-80 little holes now. The only thing I can think of is that it is a critter digging for grub worms. It is only in a patch about 25-15, and in an area that would get watered when the flower bed is. They are about two inches deep.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(I do not water my "grass", as water is extremely expensive here.....)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: holes in my yard

Yes, I've got lots of those holes too. Could be moles and could also be yellow jackets. But then you would have seen, and felt, the yellow jackets by now - I did. :(

o

Yes, I had thought of yellow jackets,as neighbor had a hole, and lots of the buzzers. I didn't have any, so wonder what the heck would make so many holes.

o

Probably Voles... we have hundreds of their holes in our yard.

The Vole information is about half way down the page in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moles and Voles

o

I have holes too.

o

Oh I have those too! I always thought it was squirrels. I know we have those tiny gray voles because my cat used to catch them, but the voles seem too small to to make a hole that size. The holes are fairly deep. I have to go look at that link.

o

Could they be from skunks digging for grubs?

o

Neighbor thinks it is a skunk.....the hole they had was dug up and a honey comb brought up. She said she had smelled vague skunk odor that evening. I do think it is that, digging for grubs. She had a number of new holes dug, too. Oh, well, excitement in the 'hood!!

o

Do the holes dead-end right about the depth of the sod - they aren't tunnels?

I have a new 'crop' of those this week and mine are racoons after worms, they love night crawlers and I have plenty. I just wish they weren't quite so urban, the neighbors across the street have a new (and expensive) puppy and they are afraid to let her out into their fenced yard at dusk or later unsupervised.

It's definitely not moles.

o

Nope, not tunnels, and they do seem to end at the depth of the sod.

o

Well mine was a skunk. I almost had a run in with it one night.

o

Skunks and racoons do did for food. The racoons practically plough the ground under my bird feeders.

Your holes are sized typically of those that squirrels make at this time of the year for burying tree nuts. However, I did not see nay evidence that anything was "buried" in your lwan.

During dry times, earthworms and night crawlers retreat deeper in the soil in search of moisture. Also, earthworms prepare for winter at this time of year and are not available for anumal food.

o

My guess is Japanese Beetle grubs. I find them every spring when I start gardening.

o

I suggest skunk ... maybe coon.

o j

o

I have those all over my backyard. People have told me they are grubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here