Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdated pancake, brownie, bisquick mixes

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 30, 08 at 17:04

I just received an email from a friend of mine, that has circulated before. It's about old pancake, cake, brownie mixes etc that contain yeast.

When made into pancakes, etc and eaten mold can form in the yeast spores and be toxic.

I checked it on Snopes.com and it IS TRUE.
Here is the link.

www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdated pancake, brownie, bisquick mixes

Thanks so much Sherry for posting this thread. I just found about four boxes of
brownies on my pantry shelf in the basementand they are outdated (january 2008).
I know exactly what I am doing with them, they are going to filed until 'T' for trash.
Thanks so much again for this thread.
Deb

o

In the link it says outdated mixes are okay UNLESS you have a mold allergy. Mixes sealed in the unopened bags or foil are okay even then, it is the old and opened ones that could be trouble.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Link

o

Even old spices can make you sick. My DH became ill (respiratory symptoms) after sprinkling oregano on a slice of pizza and consuming it. Every few weeks, I go thru my kitchen and cabinets and throw out everything that's been opened, like cereal,baked goods, etc. I know sealed foods are okay.

o

I keep a magic marker pen in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open a package and don't use all of it, I write the date opened on it.

I started doing this to see how long some things lasted, like dishwasher detergent, to see if they were worth the money. Then I just started to do it with anything I opened. If it isn't used in a couple of months, it gets tossed, and there's no guesswork involved.

Laurel

o

Thats a good idea.

o

So, what do you Ladies think?
Should I throw away these brownie mixes?
What would you do?
Deb

o

I'd make a big batch of brownies tonight for Makayla's birthday! They are sealed right?

o

Should I throw away these brownie mixes?
I'd label them in some way, and throw them in the freezer b4 they got any older...in fact, that is where I store my excess stock of mixes, powdered milk, etc.

I've started putting the 'best if used by date' in big bold magic marker on top of the cereal boxes. That way I know at a glance (even without my specs) what needs used up and when.

Sue

o

I don't buy too many mixes, usually make things from scratch, but when I do we usually eat them before they expire. If it is unopened in a plastic bag and only a few days past, I wouldn't be concerned about it. As the article stated:

It needs be kept in mind there is nothing inherently toxic about pancake mix that has passed its freshness date, the product's getting old does not transform it into a poison, nor does the growth of mold within opened boxes of flapjack powder turn it into something that will fell all who ingest it. Only those who have allergies to mold are at risk, and even then, for the pancake mix to pose a hazard it has to contain mold spores, not just be over the hill.

For mold to gain access to a food product, the foodstuff has to be exposed to its spores. Pancake mix cocooned in an unbleached wax paper, plastic, or a foil pouch within its outer packaging wouldn't have this contact and should still be safe no matter how old it gets. However, mix sold unpouched in cardboard boxes or paper sacks would likely be at risk even if the box or sack hadn't previously been opened, because such packaging would not necessarily keep dampness out, and mold thrives in damp environments.

Clare

o

I throw away all mixes that are outdated you never know what tiny creepie crawlies are in there why take a chance? If we were in starvation straits I might use them
when I had dogs I periodically checked their doggie biscuits. If I was going to buy them I'm force the box open to see
too many times I took them to the manager to be disposed of because of the bugs inside

o

Gramzee
According to the Snopes article, brownie mixes etc are safe as long as they are in a sealed plastic bag inside of a cardboard box. (Cake and brownie mixes are sold this way). I buy Pancake mix from Sam's and the large re-sealable pouch. This is safe, too because of the bag being plastic.

I think your brownie mixes would be safe to eat, but if you want to put them in the freezer as Sue suggested, that would be even safer. According to Snopes, they have to be seriously expired.

Only those with mold allergies have to be extremely careful, but this article shouldn't be taken lightly IMO. I know of some adults who developed allergies as adults....no sign of any as a kid, so who's to know we couldn't get new allergies at any time?

I still think this was a good warning to pass on to the KT

Sherry

o

Funny this was posted today! My son was going to make instant chocolate pudding today and asked me if they expire. I told him I'm sure it does, everything does evcentually. I looked at the date and it was from 2004! I have had them for quite awhile but I had no idea it was that long! He tossed them! He was craving chocolate too....poor guy!

o

Mixes dated January 2008 aren't old enough for me to pitch. I've never had a problem with anything "slightly old". I examine the inside pouch or bag when I open them for tiny holes - if I find any or if things are really way past the date - out they go.

o

Something from 2008 - I would be ok with - the pudding from 2004, lol! That I would toss.

I have found older things than that in my pantry - where the heck does that stuff hide out anyway :)

Some of the dates are so hard to read - if you can find them at all. Your ideas of writing the dates are good ones!

o

I just heard back from 2 friends who I sent the email to. They BOTH have mold allergies and were really glad I sent the email and went through their cupboards too.

Good thing you read the email before making the pudding Gwanny!

Sherry

o

Um.....does pancake,bisquick and brownie mixes even HAVE yeast? I thought they used baking powder?

o

Good point jeaninwa.

Before anyone throws out anything please read the link and get the complete facts of the story. There is no mention of yeast in the link, nor brownie or cake mix. The story involved a package of pancake mix that sat open in a cupboard for two years. The pancakes tasted "like rubbing alcohol" but were eaten anyway. The taste should have been a warning!

After going to the link, if you still feel compelled to throw out the brownies, throw them my way.

o

So, does this mean that I should throw out the spices from my spice rack that I got as a wedding present in 1980???
;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here